Photo

American Idol

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

Another silly performance of a forgettable song that just goes to prove that critics who dismiss this show aren't missing anything.

EDIT: This clip could come down at any minute.

Edited by Christian, 26 May 2010 - 07:21 PM.

#162 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,599 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Minister Provides Spiritual and Financial Assistance to 'American Idol' Hopefuls
The "American Idol" ministry continues.
The wife of a southern California preacher -- who says she was "sent by God" to provide spiritual and financial help to the show's contestants -- attended last month's Hollywood Week tapings to support the newest members of her flock.
Over the past four seasons, Leesa Bellisi and her husband Denny have opened their two Los Angeles homes to the families of Jason Castro, Syesha Mercado and dozens of other hopefuls, while their kids sang for votes on TV's biggest reality show.
"The Bellisis provided not only shelter, but plane tickets and general aid for "Idol" families at loose ends," author Richard Rushfield reveals in "American Idol: The Untold Story," out next week. . . .
Fox News, January 10

#163 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

The NY Times loves Tyler, and I agree.

#164 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

The NY Times loves Tyler, and I agree.

I watched the show tonight, and have seen two or three other episodes.

This was the season Idol was supposed to fall apart. The final nail in the coffin, or at least another nail. But it turns out Tyler and Lopez are better than the judges they replaced, and the show has wisely tended to concentrate on the good singers rather than the clowns this season. It's all been to the good.

#165 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Katharine is "working on herself," according to <a href="http://www.breitbart...D8HQ4R781.html" target="_blank">this</a> AP story:

<i>McPhee fan Tess Kleinhammes was upset at Cowell's statement.

"I didn't think that was fair at all," said the 13-year-old, who had flashed a sparkly sign in support of McPhee. "I think Katharine is better than Taylor. She's one of my role models."

When told about Tess' support of her, McPhee said, "I love being a role model. It's still a man's world in society." Her advice: "Girls should keep working on themselves."

Which, she said, she's done herself.

<b>"I've been through many therapy sessions ... It's an ongoing struggle to work on myself." </b> </i>

--God bless her and all, but it�s gotta be tough to be so beautiful AND talented, right?

My imagined counseling session:

<b>Katharine:</b> �Doctor, I have a bad self-image. What can I do about that?�
<b>
Male Counselor:</b> �Did you say something? I was too busy staring into your doe eyes, mesmerized by your lovely cheekbones and flowing hair.�

<b>Katharine:</b> �I�m already feeling better, but may need to come back for many therapy sessions��

Goin' to the Way Back Machine to pull up this comment, which I was thinking about while watching the premiere of Smash on nbc.com. I'm happy that McPhee has found a suitable vehicle for her talents. The show seems promising. It has everything that annoys me about Glee, but it has a seriousness and relatability (is that a word?) for people who are ... ummm, grown-ups, rather than teens. So score one for Smash. It might be all downhill from here, but the premiere's a'ight.

#166 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'll be watching Wednesday night's premiere. For the first half hour, I'll probably have both of my two daughters watching along with me. I know the show is the same ol', same ol' to most of us, but to them it's still "new" and exciting. Plus, I watch no other TV shows with my kids.

I just hope the focus isn't on spats between the new judges.

#167 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

What did you think? My oldest daughters became fans of the show three years ago (and went to the touring show the year Scotty won), watched it less compulsively last year and didn't watch last night at all, as my oldest is snowed under with play practice and homework.

#168 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I watched the entire thing. It felt like more of the same, but as for the judges, the big surprise was Nikki Manaj, about whom I know very little (not even how to spell her name, so forgive me if I botched it). After a tiresome opening 10 minutes focused on spats between her and Mariah Carey, the panel settled down and Minaj started to tell contestants things that were substantive. Or, things that seemed substantive relative to what the other judges had to say.

Keith Urban has potential to be the voice of reason on the panel. I liked his demeanor, even though he didn't have much to add to the other judges' opinions last night.

Some of the contestants' stories are pretty good. I admire the way the show will present background for some hopefuls, only to have them turned away by the judges. That's a lot of effort -- putting together video packages, etc. -- for people who will be on screen for a few seconds, then sent home. Maybe it's foolish of FOX to do that sort of thing, but I appreciate that a contestant's lengthy video introduction is no guarantee that said contestant will make it through.

#169 Christian

Christian

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

This latest news ought to set this thread ablaze here at A&F: American Idol this year has added spiritual advisers for the contestants.

Billy Mauldin, president and CEO of the Motor Racing Outreach ministry, was brought in to help Idol hopefuls manage the ups and downs of competition – much like he's been doing for NASCAR drivers since 1999.

Along with wife Julie, Mauldin has been on hand in Los Angeles to be a resource if contestants want someone to talk with them during a critical point in the competition. ...

"The expectations here are the same for what we do for NASCAR: To be there for the people, be present, help with the spiritual side of life and some of the struggles they may deal with as they're going through the competition," Mauldin told USA TODAY Sports. ...

The idea was the brainchild of David Hill, the former Fox Sports chairman who was tapped to oversee an Idol overhaul this year in the face of a ratings decline. Hill had been watching tapes of past seasons when it struck him how many contestants grew up in a faith-based environment and began singing in church. ...

"I told the contestants that Billy and Julie were people who understand competition and would be available to talk," Hill said. "The response was incredible. A large percentage made appointments to sit down to talk to him -- and not only the contestants, but even some of the producers. It is working beyond my wildest dreams." ...

Hill said he understands not all the contestants are of the Christian faith. Mauldin is not there to proselytize, he said, and someone will be made available to contestants of different religions if they so desire.

Edited by Christian, 24 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.