Photo

Free, On Demand, Streaming Music

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

I haven't had the issue since I just paid the $4.99. It's bad to reward them for this, I guess, but I wanted to be able to play my music on the speakers with the kids in the house without some dude telling me to hit up his mother___ing single. I try to be mindful of them.

#22 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 882 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Spotify's artist compensation is just terribly terribly bad. I don't think it can be justified. I'll stick to my vinyl and paid MP3 downloads, thanks, even if it means I end up hearing less new music.

#23 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

I've been using Rdio.com for the past couple of weeks. The free version has a limited number of hours you can use in a month, but there are no commercials. I also like how it's browser-based — for whatever reason, Spotify is a RAM hog on my computer. And while Rdio's artist selection might not rank up there with Spotify, there's still plenty to choose from.

#24 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

"Why Spotify Doesn't Make Sense for Musicians"

Zoë Keating, a cellist, composer, and occasional Radiolab guest, has released into a public Google Doc how much money she made from Spotify between October 2011 and March 2012. Spotify pays per listen, so every time someone plays one of Keating's songs on the service, she earns a tiny chunk of money.

Between October and March, Keating's songs were played 72,800 times on Spotify.

For all those listens -- those hours upon hours of music -- she earned $281.87. Every time someone listened to one of her songs, she made, on average, three tenths of a cent*.

#25 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Plus, Spotify's advertisements are completely obnoxious.

#26 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Plus, Spotify's advertisements are completely obnoxious.

I think at this point, I might buy Andre 3000's razor or whatever just to shut him up.

#27 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Nigel Godrich and Thom Yorke are pulling the Atoms for Peace album from Spotify.

“The music industry is being taken over by the back door.. and if we don’t try and make it fair for new music producers and artists… then the art will suffer. Make no mistake. These are all the same old industry bods trying to get a stranglehold on the delivery system..
The numbers don’t even add up for spotify yet.. But it’s not about that.. It’s about establishing the model which will be extremely valuable. Meanwhile small labels and new artists can't even keep their lights on. It's just not right. Plus people are scared to speak up or not take part as they are told they will lose invaluable exposure if they don't play ball.