GPS needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,112 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

So, my job is taking me on the road more and more these days, such that a GPS is now pretty much a necessity, if I don't want to spend lots of time lost and backtracking. I'm not looking for high-end but something that does its job well and simply (heck, I can't even figure out how to put a new ringtone on my cellphone).

I'm clueless as to which brands are good, what features are essential vs. useless ornamentation, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

You might be able to find a good GPS app if you have iPhone, Android phone, or something similar. (However, you might run into overage costs with your phone bill if you're traveling through areas where your provider doesn't have good coverage.)

#3 Andrew

Andrew

• 2,112 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

You might be able to find a good GPS app if you have iPhone, Android phone, or something similar.

I don't, so I assume I'll need a freestanding GPS.

#4 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,085 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

You might be able to find a good GPS app if you have iPhone, Android phone, or something similar.

I don't, so I assume I'll need a freestanding GPS.

I've had a Garmin nuvi bought from Best Buy (like $149) for several years, and I've been very happy with it.

Downside--it can have trouble locating satellite if weather is very overcast or if you are in a parking garage. They also try to sell you "updates" bi-annually but I've never gotten those.

Link here.

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,930 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

I've had a Garmin nuvi bought from Best Buy (like $149) for several years, and I've been very happy with it.

That's what we use too. We started off with one of the less expensive TomToms, which we liked well enough, but when it went south we got a Nuvi and it's just better. There are TomToms that go for a lot more though, so I can't speak to those.

We also use the Nuvi in conjunction with smart phones (we both use iPhones). It's nice to have a fall-back in case one device loses satellite, or (as occasionally happens) starts giving really counterintuitive direx.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

• 2,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advice - I put in my Amazon order for a Garmin nuvi earlier today.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

• 2,112 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

...and I've been very happy with my new gadget. Thanks again for the recommendation.