Photo

The Leftovers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,606 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Link to our thread on the novel.

Links to our threads on the film version of Little Children (2006) and the book and in-development film versions of The Abstinence Teacher.

- - -

HBO teaming with author Tom Perrotta
HBO is developing a series based on author Tom Perrotta's upcoming novel "The Leftovers."
Hourlong drama explores the Rapture and how the sudden disappearance of loved ones in a suburban town affects everyone left behind. Perrotta, who is writing the pilot, will exec produce with Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger. . . .
Variety, August 9

#2 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 313 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

And now, it's Damon Lindelof (of Lost fame) co-writing the script with Perrotta, and running the show, if it moves ahead.

Damon Lindelof Teams With Author Tom Perrotta For ‘The Leftovers’ Series At HBO

In his first TV series project since Lost, Damon Lindelof is heading to HBO for The Leftovers, a drama based on Tom Perrotta’s 2011 book, which the two will co-write together. This marks the first foray into cable for the Lost executive producer/co-showrunner and the first project under the rich three-year overall deal he recently signed with Warner Bros TV.

http://www.deadline....opment-writing/

Edited by Stephen Lamb, 28 June 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Pilot episode to be directed by Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights, Battleship, Very Bad Things, Hancock, etc.).

#4 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights, Battleship, Very Bad Things, Hancock, etc.).

Hopefully, working with HBO will encourage his better inclinations and discourage the not so good inclinations that are demonstrated by this list.

It's just too bad that Paul Boyer isn't still around to work as a consultant for this.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

Justin Theroux has been cast as Kevin Garvey, "a chief of police and father of two who is trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in this new world." And this news comes one day after I catch a screening of This Is the End.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,190 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Also starring Arwen.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yep, it's a series now.

#8 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,098 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

#9 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

New trailer. If it had bands, they would be red.

#10 Christian

Christian

• 10,813 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

Guess who:

A half-hour ago the U.S. population was 317,947,517 — 2% suddenly disappearing would mean an out-of-the-blue absence of 6,358,950 people. The world population is 7,162,622,670 so a 2% reduction would be roughly 143,000,000. Honestly? There are too many on the globe as it is so a 2% reduction isn’t such a bad thing. How about 10% of the population ascending to Heaven? How about 20%? The more the merrier. As long as I don’t get picked, I mean.

Edited by Christian, 29 April 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#11 Christian

Christian

• 10,813 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Hank Stuever's TV writing, but this is superb and makes me want to tune in and check out The Leftovers in two weeks:

Whether or not anyone wants to spend the summer staring directly at sorrow and regret, that’s precisely what HBO and the creators of the new drama “The Leftovers” seem to have in mind.

There’s nothing warm or welcoming about it, nor is there meant to be. Where the network’s “True Detective” occasionally broke its dolefulness with the slyest, philosophically artful wink at an audience riveted by its mystery, “The Leftovers” grafts more unhappiness onto unhappiness. Where “Game of Thrones” revels in even its most gruesome developments, it exists safely within the bounds of fantasy, so slay away. “The Leftovers” mainly acts as a means to deliver the worst news about human nature.

Yet, despite the downer language of this review, the show delivers on an exceedingly intriguing premise, with some of the most beguilingly morose performances delivered this year. It’s a strange but good wallow.

Using executive producer and writer Tom Perrotta’s sad and thoughtful novel as a template for a much broader story, “The Leftovers” (premiering June 29) is one of the coldest TV shows I’ve ever seen. It possesses almost no irony, few verbose monologues, a bare minimum of sharp moves, and a style that is conspicuously drab.

Watching it produces a numbness that isn’t anything like grief, but more like the tingly approach of a Novocaine local. The tongue can’t help returning to the hurt spot.

Edited by Christian, 15 June 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#12 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,195 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

The pilot is on Yahoo. Go figure.

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

#14 Christian

Christian

• 10,813 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Pilot episode to be directed by Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights, Battleship, Very Bad Things, Hancock, etc.).

I had forgotten about Berg's involvement until the credits came up. The first episode is pretty good. The odd music choices are consistently interesting, although I don't know that they're always successful. I had read Anne Thompson's negative review of the first episode before I watched it and was prepared to be let down by the show. Instead, I found it to be, at worst, baffling, but that's kind of the point. I certainly would watch it again if I had HBO. 

#15 J. Henry Waugh

J. Henry Waugh

A Real Reactionary

• 315 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Just finished watching the pilot. I'm ready to binge watch down the road if it turns out ok but will not spend an hour a week on this in the meantime.

As for the "and Faith" portion of our little pow-wow, I cannot imagine even spending another minute watching this past the baby disappearing scene if you didn't have some sort of appreciation for Jesus and the rapture.

#16 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,195 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

I finished the novel just a couple months ago, and the show is sticking pretty close to it so far. So much so, in fact, I'm not sure how much I'd get out of watching the whole series. It's not a strongly visual story.

Edited by Tyler, 30 June 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#17 Christian

Christian

• 10,813 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I was struck by the dog killings, which I hadn't remembered from the book. Turns out the writer latched on to a mention of a dead dog in the novel and built out that element for the series.

I don't begrudge anyone dismissing a program based on its first episode, but I like "slow builds" myself and think this program has plenty of elements to keep me watching. Now, I read the book and didn't think it quite worked, but the show may be different.

So, I'd keep watching -- if I had HBO, which I don't. :)

#18 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I am not a big fan of the show or the book for reasons recently explained at Filmwell. I think its use of the rapture concept ends up being little more than a gimmick to make the suburban drama stuff seem more compelling.

#19 Christian

Christian

• 10,813 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

Do those of you who have read the novel remember the specifics from last night's episode? I don't, but I wonder, in reading the recap (I've still only seen the first episode of the series), if the POV stuff throws me off and all of this was in the novel, told from an other-than-first-person viewpoint.

Anyway, sounds like a pivot episode -- possibly the one that could hook viewers who had been on the fence but were still giving the show a chance. I wonder how many people that group would comprise.

EDIT: Indiewire says "in its third episode, the first major departure from the book was made."

Edited by Christian, 14 July 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#20 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,855 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Nikki Stafford of NikatNite recaps the latest episode (so, obviously, SPOILERS if you haven't seen it), and highlights some interesting symbolic imagery at the end, FWIW.