Looking for interactive Flash musical grid I've seen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,789 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Twice now I've run across links to a nifty interactive Flash file that I wanted to show to my kids and can't now find. Here is what it looks like:

• It's got a grid like a checkerboard, with (IIRC) 8 x 8 radio-button style selectable / deselectable areas.
  • Each button, when selected, emits a periodic tone.
  • Vertically, the higher buttons emit higher tones than the lower buttons; horizontally, the more leftward buttons sound earlier than the more rightward buttons. So the buttons cycle through their tones left to right and back to the beginning.
  • By strategically selecting various buttons along the same column, you can create chords; by strategically arranging your chord-columns (and of course potentially leaving some columns empty) you can create rhythm.
Who has seen this and knows where it can be found?

Edited by SDG, 13 August 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#2 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

http://seawitchery.t...post/4070384205

#3 SDG

SDG

• 8,789 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

http://seawitchery.t...post/4070384205

Brilliant, thanks! That's twice in a row you've come through on an A&F bleg from me. (This is actually the place I saw this the first time, although the second time (last week sometime) I saw it in some other more neutral context that I liked better. Ah, here's the actual source.)

Wow, twice as big as I remembered it. Oops.

Edited by SDG, 13 August 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#4 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

That's twice in a row you've come through on an A&F bleg from me.

Well, I guess if you ever get to be independently wealthy and you need a research assistant, keep me in mind. ;)

#5 SDG

SDG

• 8,789 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

That's twice in a row you've come through on an A&F bleg from me.

Well, I guess if you ever get to be independently wealthy and you need a research assistant, keep me in mind. ;)

You actually researched this? You didn't know about it already? Tell me how you went about it, because I think my research skills are better than average, and I tried for awhile without success.

#6 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

I remembered seeing this but all I remembered was that it was on Tumblr. So I tried about five Google search strings that began with tumblr. Started with "tumblr make melodies" but all that was getting was apps to play ordinary music. Ultimately the right string was "tumblr cool music click tones".

Soooooo if you can call them research... :P