Photo

Not tuna

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Any food that requires you to fumigate your mouth afterward is to be avoided. Who's with me?

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard there are dolphin snouts in tuna. One moment those snouts are chirping out a beautiful language, and the next instant they're being packed into a round can headed for Syracuse.

#2 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Any food that requires you to fumigate your mouth afterward is to be avoided. Who's with me?

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard there are dolphin snouts in tuna. One moment those snouts are chirping out a beautiful language, and the next instant they're being packed into a round can headed for Syracuse.

The Great A&F Tuna War. The thing about the dolphin snouts could be true, though. I've noticed an increased propensity to sing like Jonsi from Sigur Ros after eating tuna. Coincidence?

#3 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

The problem is that many lunch time alternatives to simple tuna-like proteins have an immensely narcotic effect on me. The chinese take-away down the street, for example, has often lead to fugue-like afternoons in which I begin semi-consciously drafting lecture notes about the existential qualities of orality in Balkan folk culture. Or covering up little puddles of drool with post-it notes.

#4 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,925 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Tuna is the prime rib of the sea. But it should be eaten raw, with a dash of soy sauce. Not out of a can.

#5 Joel

Joel

• 742 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Anders is correct. Tuna in a can is straight from the pit of hell. A tuna steak or sashimi from a Japanese restaurant is divine.

#6 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

If you're talking sushi, I much prefer salmon over tuna.

#7 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Anders is correct. Tuna in a can is straight from the pit of hell. A tuna steak or sashimi from a Japanese restaurant is divine.

Well, yeah, but I thought we were talking about cubicle-ready fare, here. No Bento Box required.

#8 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yes, a decent toro is outside of the parameters of this discussion.

#9 metalfoot

metalfoot

• 120 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Tuna comes in steaks? (My rural Canadian roots are showing)

#10 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Tuna is from the pit, but so is any fish brought to work in tupperware and heated up in the microwave. Whatsoever cometh from leftover ocean dwellers is evil.

#11 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

OH. OH, AAAAAAUUUUUGH!!! There's your trouble.. Canned tuna has already been cooked. You don't heat it in the mike, or put it near anything baked. I don't care what the deaconesses at Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility think. Tuna from a can is decent in a salad. A salad. Nicoise to pasta salad. Of COURSE, raw tuna, or blood rare sushi grade fresh tuna is better than canned. Heck, Fresh gazpacho is better than Campbell's Tomato Soup too.

Your Honor, we stipulate that anything canned is less than its fresh version. Even than its frozen version. However, the Defense would like to point out that plausible and proper uses of tuna from a can do exist.

Tuna comes in steaks? (My rural Canadian roots are showing)

Yes. When it comes to fish, if a fillet (or a fish's flank) is thick enough, or large enough, once filleted, one can then chop the meat into steaks. Swordfish, Shark, Hallibut, and Sturgeon are prepared this way, among others. A "small" Tuna can way 15 to 20 lbs. Except Bonito which is considered the least of the Tuna species.