Photo

The Bible: The Beginning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,016 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

Links to our threads on Ben Hur Live and Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

- - -

Holy Moses! 'Spider-Man' Stage Helmer Tackles Old Testament And Swears Spidey Won't Go Down As Flop Of Biblical Proportions
Philip William McKinley, the stage director who replaced Julie Taymor and stopped the bleeding -- literally and figuratively -- on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, will next tackle something even more iconic than a superhero saga: The Old Testament. He’s directing The Bible: The Beginning, a live show scaled for arena-sized venues that will use music, dialogue, tumblers, jugglers, singers, aerialists and fighters to re-enact the Creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah’s Ark, Moses and his clash with the Pharaoah, the plagues of Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea, all culminating in the delivery of The Ten Commandments. The musical will be narrated by Gabriel the Messenger; Raphael the Healer; and Michael, Leader of God’s armies. . . .
McKinley is producing The Bible with Spider-Man’s Michael Cohl, whose S2BN has partly raised the millions needed for an arena launch planned for late 2012 or early 2013. Michael Levine, Matt Rollings and Ryan Beveridge are composing the music, with lyrics by Maribeth Derry and book by Shaun McKenna. The sets will be done by Mark Fisher and Ray Winkler, who designed the giant claw stage for U2’s recent 360 tour. McKinley said the show will launch in a U.S. arena and spend several months there before hitting the road like an arena rock band tour.
McKinley expected to take on something small after Spider-Man, only to change his mind after a three-martini dinner with stage actress Judy Kaye. “I told her I’d done The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur, and she said, well, there’s nothing left then but The Bible,” McKinley said. “The more I thought about it, I realized that we could take these stories that have big morality themes and put them in a style of contemporary performance.” . . .
Deadline.com, August 16

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 17 August 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#2 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Raphael the Healer;

Who is mentioned in Tobit, so I guess they're taking the Apocrypha as part of the Bible. Wonder what the evangelical audience will think of that.