Grimm

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Scheduled in the Friday night death slot, so probably not much hope for it, but with exec. producer David Greenwalt & co-stars Sasha Roiz (Caprica) and Silas Weir Mitchell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Trailer.

Link to thread for the other fairy-tale themed drama this fall, Once Upon a Time,

#2 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,161 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

NBC has a 20-minute preview online.

#3 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

I cannot help but be amused that both folks behind Buffy/Angel and Lost created new shows and they are both about fairy tales in the real world... sadly, this seems to hurt the liklihood of a Fables adaption... and even if Fables gets adapted, I am dreading the comments from people assuming Fables is a rip-off of Grimm.

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,131 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

The premiere is SO Joss Whedon. Beginning to end. It has a Mal. It has a Jayne. (He even looks like Jayne.) It has a Buffy storyline. And it has a ramshackle vehicle full of fairy-tale props.

Familiar as it is, the pilot is a heck of a lot more exciting than the pilot for Once Upon a Time.

#5 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

Grimm felt like they really know what they wanted to do with the characters...and yeah, this clearly was from the folks who brought us Buffy and Agnel. And apparently, it worked. Last Friday Grimm was far more successful than it's lead in Chuck. I did not realize there was that much excitement surrounding Grimm.

#6 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm beginning to be slightly disenchanted. In many ways it's turning in to a police procedural with strange perps. More CSI, Law and Order, than Buffy.

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, I agree. I gave up a few weeks ago.

#8 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm beginning to be slightly disenchanted. In many ways it's turning in to a police procedural with strange perps. More CSI, Law and Order, than Buffy.

I still enjoy the show -- it's a good thing to watch on Hulu when you're feeding a baby at 2:00am -- but it is starting to feel a bit stale. I hope they start developing the show's mythology a bit more. There have been glimpses here and there with the Reapers-related material, but that's been few and far between, and I'm left wanting more.

#9 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

If you think about it, it feels very much like the first seasons of Buffy and Angel. Both tended to rely on the monster of the week before finding their footing-often late in their first season or somewhere in the second season.

I like how they have built up this idea that the various creatures only know Grimms as fairytale monsters. And while the story initially seemed to suggest "One Grimm at a time" and part of a family lineage, the recent episodes hint that there is more than one Grimm roaming the earth. I also like Monroe's attempts to get Nick to open up and Nick constantly having to assure some of the creatures that he is not going to randomly kill them.

#10 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

If you think about it, it feels very much like the first seasons of Buffy and Angel. Both tended to rely on the monster of the week before finding their footing-often late in their first season or somewhere in the second season.

Good point. My concern is that in those days (way back when in the late 90s) a TV show on a fringe network like CW had a good chance of getting at least two seasons to get things right--even Buffy, which most people thought would be a colossal flop. Now it's surprising if any show that's not CSI makes it past 13 episodes, and if the show is fantasy or sci-fi oriented and on a major network, it's like a miracle. I see a lot of potential in Grimm, but it's not there yet.

#11 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Now it's surprising if any show that's not CSI makes it past 13 episodes, and if the show is fantasy or sci-fi oriented and on a major network, it's like a miracle. I see a lot of potential in Grimm, but it's not there yet.

This may be why they seem to keep emphasizing the CSI Cop show so much...on the other hand, the X-Files were often as much "procedural" mystery solving (in some ways, this is "What if Buffy Was a Cop (And, uh, a guy)"). NBC has been pretty quick to kill shows off...usually after two or three episodes. The fact that Grimm is still on suggests it is doing just well enough for NBC to keep it going. Not a lock for a second season, but certainly better odds than other shows. They have not benched Grimm yet, and we are well beyond the usual cut line for NBC.

#12 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

So I stopped watching Grimm for a few weeks, and then decided to watch another episode on a whim a few nights ago, and I found it very easy to slip back into the show's mythology. Enough that I was inspired to write this little article for Christ and Pop Culture about the show's treatment of monsters. There are still some awkward aspects of the show -- I find Nick's relationship with his fiance frustrating, for instance -- but the show's larger mythology is intriguing enough and I really enjoy Monroe and Sergeant Wu.

Oh, and Grimm has been renewed for a second season.

#13 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I think as they have been tying the various worlds together, it has been getting better and better. I llike the continued push from Monroe to be friends... Trying to get Nick to hang out on a non-Grimm outing. I also like how his dealings with many of the weaker and oppressed creatures are starting to rally around Nick as a hero figure...I suspect this could have an impact on how much of a threat the hierarchy of myth creatures see him.

#14 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Are these recent developments? I'm a little behind, and am hoping to get caught up this weekend.

#15 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

The last few episodes...I feel like they are starting to find their ground.

#16 jfutral

jfutral

• 271 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

The police captain backstory is driving me nuts. The show intimated some over-arching behind the scenes plot, especially with the blond lawyer (or whatever she was) girl. Now it is just a ghost of a backstory. I wish they hadn't played it up so hard at the beginning and just let it unfold more slowly and casually. I kind of feel like they didn't have anything specific planned but wanted something to build organically, or they have decided they need to change what they planned. Either way, it is a promise as yet unfulfilled.

They kind of seem to be resetting that story line in recent episodes. We'll see. I hate being disappointed in a potential story after such huge implied (or inferred) promises.

Joe