Photo

The Films of Oliver Stone

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: The Films of Oliver Stone

The Films of Oliver Stone

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,235 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

Yet another entry in our series of "Which is your favorite film by such-and-such auteur" polls, I now turn to Oliver Stone, a director with whom I have a kind of love/hate relationship. I haven't found much about Stone elsewhere in our forum (but I might not be looking in the right places). I wouldn't expect Stone to be an A&F favorite, but nevertheless I'd be curious to see which films Stone has made that A&F does appreciate, and to what extent.

I'll fire the first salvo: I dig NIXON. Don't particularly like anything Stone has done since.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

• JFK
  • NBK
  • Val-K

runner-up: Nixon, definitely.

Edited by Overstreet, 07 September 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#3 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 937 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

JFK. When Costner broke the "fourth wall" I was bowled over. It's one of the few times that technique has really worked for me in a movie.

#4 Christian

Christian

• 10,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

I love Oliver Stone, but The Doors is one of two films I've walked out of at the theater.

#5 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,235 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

I've never seen THE DOORS.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

I love Oliver Stone, but The Doors is one of two films I've walked out of at the theater.

:blink:

Really? Why?

The aforementioned Val-K's performance alone was enough to bring me back for two rounds in the theatre. (Granted, that was a long time ago. I wonder what I'd think of it now.)

Edited by Overstreet, 07 September 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#7 J.R.

J.R.

• 232 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Stone is a blindspot in my film viewing. I've only seen Platoon andNatural Born Killers. And maybe half of The Doors.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

:blink:

Really? Why? The aforementioned Val-K's performance alone was enough to bring me back for two rounds in the theatre. (Granted, that was a long time ago. I wonder what I'd think of it now.)

Well, it was half a lifetime ago, but the rocking camerawork made me sick to my stomach. And I like the camerawork in most Stone films, and the editing. But not with The Doors.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,075 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Stone's a major blind spot for me, too - I've only seen three of his films (Salvador, Platoon, and Wall Street), and much as I admire those three, I have no great desire to view his other work.

#10 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,847 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've seen less than half of Stone's ouvre, but JFK is masterful. Even if you don't buy the conspiracy theories, you have to admit that it's a striking piece of filmmaking, dizzyingly weaving a mass of sometimes contradictory information and history into a mythos that remains a part of the popular imagination ("Back, and to the left!") and it's compulsively watchable, with a nearly 45 min monologue/courtroom scene that never seems to drag, and with literally dozens of fine performances. I don't love all the other Stone films I've seen. I think PLATOON, regarded by some as one of his best, is overrated, but I count JFK among my favourites.

#11 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,235 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

I've seen less than half of Stone's ouvre, but JFK is masterful. Even if you don't buy the conspiracy theories, you have to admit that it's a striking piece of filmmaking, dizzyingly weaving a mass of sometimes contradictory information and history into a mythos that remains a part of the popular imagination ("Back, and to the left!") and it's compulsively watchable, with a nearly 45 min monologue/courtroom scene that never seems to drag, and with literally dozens of fine performances. I don't love all the other Stone films I've seen. I think PLATOON, regarded by some as one of his best, is overrated, but I count JFK among my favourites.

I, too, think PLATOON is overrated. Indeed, I think many Oliver Stone "classics" have a bit of a bloated reputation (alas, yes, even JFK, which I've never been able to love as much as everybody else).

But NIXON, for some reason, clicks with me. I love almost everything about it. Hopkins delivers what I consider to be career-best work. I adore that the script gives everything a grand, mythic arc and sensibility; this is the story of the President of the United States told with all the heft and theatricality normally given to tales about monarchs and Caesars, shot through with a kind of spiritual/moral resonance that's quite unusual for this kind of political flick. And stylistically, NIXON is terrific. The montage sequences are wonderful.

Edited by Ryan H., 07 September 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#12 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,847 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

But NIXON, for some reason, clicks with me. I love almost everything about it. Hopkins delivers what I consider to be career-best work. I adore that the script gives everything a grand, mythic arc and sensibility; this is the story of the President of the United States told with all the heft and theatricality normally given to tales about monarchs and Caesars, shot through with a kind of spiritual/moral resonance that's quite unusual for this kind of political flick. And stylistically, NIXON is terrific. The montage sequences are wonderful.

To be honest I haven't seen NIXON since high school, and so I don't feel confident making any proclamations about it. But I want to revisit it one of these days.

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

You haven't mentioned Joan Allen as Pat Nixon. It's a brilliant turn for her as well.

Oh, and for me, JFK tops the Stone list on the strength of the park-bench scene with Donald Sutherland alone! The whole thing is exhilarating, but Sutherland is spellbinding in that part.

#14 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,454 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Count me in as a huge fan of JFK. So many things about that film shouldn't work. It's heavy on exposition and, as stated before, presents a lot of contradictory ideas. Yet Stone manages to make the jigsaw puzzle come together, unlike Ron Howard with The Da Vinci Code, which faced a lot of the same hurdles and just seems to collapse under the weight of all the information it tries to present.

JFK
also provided for one of the funniest parodies that I've ever seen, and still laugh at today...

The Magic Bullet explained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBXjf8Jce10

The Magic Loogie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBz3PqA2Fmc

#15 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,732 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

I found JFK unwatchable. Couldn't sit through it all. Never made it past the half hour mark. Too big a named cast, all for speculation. Yuck.

Nixon was also horrible, but that I saw in the theater. Same problems. Hopkins was miscast, and Steenburgen's career went south after this.

I liked Wall Street best of those I'd seen. Never seen NBK nor Doors nor the autobiography of Mr Hand starring Michael Caine as Jeff Spicolli.

#16 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,235 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

To be honest I haven't seen NIXON since high school, and so I don't feel confident making any proclamations about it. But I want to revisit it one of these days.

I strongly urge you to do so. :)

#17 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,805 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

I saw Platoon several years after it was released, and I remember wondering what the big deal was. Sure, there's a powerful moment of heroic sacrifice. But I didn't see that the film itself was anything particularly special.

#18 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,235 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Oliver Stone: JFK conspiracy deniers are in denial.

#19 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 284 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Count me among those that "still have quite a long way to go" with seeing Oliver Stone's films. I have seen PLATOON, and the 2 WALL STREET movies, and none of those movies did anything all that special for me. My memory of JFK is fuzzy, I may have to revisit it. Today, I am watching BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY for the first time, and Ryan's comments have me very interested in seeing NIXON very soon!!!

#20 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,235 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Chris Wallace examines Stone's JFK for the Los Angeles Review of Books:

“What we all dread most is a maze with no center,” Father Brown says in one of G.K. Chesterton’s stories. Borges believed the “metaphysical detective story” of Citizen Kane to be just that maze. And Oliver Stone’s JFK is a maze built of a seemingly infinite number of Citizen Kanes. Every thread, every dark, paranoid alley Garrison and his team uncover gives out onto another, still more shadowy mystery (and a Rosebud destroyed to cover it up). And when the going gets crazy — and the Kennedy mystery is the crazy Mardi Gras of American history, making the paranoid dreams of Thomas Pynchon and James Ellroy look tame by comparison — it is something of a relief that Stone, and by extension Garrison, thinks the unthinkable for us.