College Football 2011

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Um. I've seen this before as a Wolverine fan. They cream Notre Dame and run through the rest of the "pre-season" only to fall flat in the Big Ten. But WOW. Never saw anything like that before. And with the whole stadium singing along to that White Stripes riff, it was like the playoffs in Hockeytown, but with six times the crowd.

#2 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,693 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'm from Indiana, so this looks to be a bleak football season: no Indiana teams are ever good, and Manning will be out for most (or all) of the Colts season. At least I can fall back on the Bears.

#3 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

I think I won't be running my mouth this season. Unfortunately.

#4 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:49 AM

Oh, I suspect that The Week and The Game will be good. As I see it, you will have to give it four more weeks at least to get a feel for what might yet be. For us, it will be continued negotiations on the field between Hoke and #16 and becoming accustomed to Matison's system on defense.

#5 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,234 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

I think I won't be running my mouth this season. Unfortunately.

Indeed. I move a mile and a half from the 'Shoe, where the mob can be heard without great difficulty when they are cheering wildly, and this season looks like it will provide precious few opportunities to cheer. I predict 6-6 and a trip to the Insight Bowl, or something equally thrilling.

#6 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Unless Toledo is on a Ball State-like outlier year, I don't know that I'd go for 6-6, but I could easily see 8-4. If the Rockets are awesome, I'm going National Championship (free tattoos for all!).

#7 Jeff Kolb

Jeff Kolb

Existential Interpersonal Benevolant Ruler

• 446 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I swore off college football after week one.

Regretfully,
- ND employee with degrees from Oregon.

But don't worry, I'll be back on the wagon soon enough...

#8 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

Unless Toledo is on a Ball State-like outlier year, I don't know that I'd go for 6-6, but I could easily see 8-4. If the Rockets are awesome, I'm going National Championship (free tattoos for all!).

But that's why you play these guys ahead of the rest of the league. You ask me, Toledo helped work some of the cobwebs out for a new coach who was sort of thrust into the job, Three more weeks and you get four good guys back.

I really wish that rankings would start in October. You get a better picture then which is not clouded by earlier assumptions not yet disproven.

Yeah, I swore off college football after week one.

Regretfully,
- ND employee with degrees from Oregon.

But don't worry, I'll be back on the wagon soon enough...

Oooh. Ouch and double ouch. Kelly did great everywhere he's been. If ND is as bad as you suspect, he will be in an ICU before Thanksgiving. This Saturday will not be pretty. However, I cannot conceive of a Kelly team screwing up for very long. What plagued them the last few weeks is fixable.

#9 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

But that's why you play these guys ahead of the rest of the league. You ask me, Toledo helped work some of the cobwebs out for a new coach who was sort of thrust into the job, Three more weeks and you get four good guys back.

I really wish that rankings would start in October. You get a better picture then which is not clouded by earlier assumptions not yet disproven.

I sure hope that's the case for my Georgia Dawgs. Two games against top 15 (preseason) teams. Two losses (one substantial, one a tight heartbreaker).

Now, there should be no more cobwebs. Let's go 10-2 (tongue firmly in cheek).

#10 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

hope that's the case for my Georgia Dawgs. Two games against top 15 (preseason) teams. Two losses (one substantial, one a tight heartbreaker).

Now, there should be no more cobwebs. Let's go 10-2 (tongue firmly in cheek).

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to pro leagues. I should have been more clear. Go Gamecocks (I can't believe I'm rooting for an SC team, but there you go).