Barry Adamson - I Will Set You Free

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

I know that nobody else-- save for Thom Jurek-- heard Barry Adamson's amazing record Back to the Cat, but it was my favorite record of 2008, and probably on my top 10 or 15 of the last decade, so naturally I'm excited to see a trailer for a new studio album, releasing sometime next year!

#2 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I know that nobody else-- save for Thom Jurek-- heard Barry Adamson's amazing record Back to the Cat, but it was my favorite record of 2008, and probably on my top 10 or 15 of the last decade, so naturally I'm excited to see a trailer for a new studio album, releasing sometime next year!

I have tickets; I will be at this show!

Edited by Thom Jurek, 14 October 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Looking forward to this one. Love me some "Back to the Cat."

#4 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

Check the video for the first single Destination here.

#5 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,168 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

I got the album yesterday and have not had as much time to absorb it as Thom has, but I think I agree with everything you are saying, Thom. It IS much more of a greasy/funky rock record, at least for the first stretch, than Back to the Cat was, yet it is no less sophisticated or cinematic than the last album was. The ballads here might actually grab me more than the ones on Back to the Cat did, but it's too early to say for sure.

#6 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

I enjoyed reading Mr. Jurek's review of the album here. Still haven't heard it myself. Hope to change that sometime this week.

Any more thoughts from you, Josh? (Although, your noticeable lack of comment since Dec 9 says quite a bit.)

#7 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,168 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I don't like it quite as much as Back to the Cat, but I also wouldn't call it a disappointment. I think Jurek nails it when he says that this album is about Barry Adamson's liberation-- about him running wild with his own encyclopedic knowledge of rock, pop, jazz, film music, and R&B. Which is to say, it doesn't hang together quite like the last album does, but there's nothing even close to a weak song in the bunch.