Photo

Bose Wave Music Systems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,762 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

We have a "Phonographs" thread in the Music forum, but few threads devoted to stereo systems. Rather than put this in Music, or in Catch All or The Good Life, I'm placing it here.

I got a bonus at work, and my wife suggested we put it toward a new Bose music system -- something I've wanted for years, but especially for the past two or three years, since our volume knob on the radio in our main room broke.

Feel free to recommend systems other than Bose, but this thread is aimed at specific Bose recommendations. For those who are Bose fans, do you prefer the Wave radio by itself? The Wave music system (with our without the iPod cradle)? What about the Soundlink? That's the one I've got my eye on. Plus, it comes with an iPod cradle at no cost until late November. We don't do a lot of music streaming, but I like the idea of streaming music from my computer through my Wave system, although I'm not sure how compromised the sound might be when coming from my computer.

We like the CD option, although the multi-disc option doesn't seem worth the extra $$.

Pretty much anything would be better than what we have now.

Most important, we plan to keep this system on a higher shelf, so our kids can't play with the volume knob (guess how the knob on our current system broke).

Any feedback from Bose fans -- or even from Bose detractors -- is welcome and appreciated.

#2 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

What kind of music? Bose usually has a crisp, balanced sound which really works for jazz and small classical ensembles, but is less effective (IMO) for large orchestral works or big arena rock.

I've don't have an opinion on their different models.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,762 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

What kind of music? Bose usually has a crisp, balanced sound which really works for jazz and small classical ensembles, but is less effective (IMO) for large orchestral works or big arena rock.

I've don't have an opinion on their different models.

I play lots of jazz on CD, but the radio gets used most often to listen to Country radio, believe it or not. Lots of WMZQ and WFLS.

#4 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,340 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

What's your budget, Christian? It's been a few years since I frequented audiophile and videophile forums, but the general consensus on Bose is that they don't offer a lot of bang for the buck, mostly because the company spends so much on marketing and on their brick-and-mortar stores. For a similar, small, all-in-one box, you should also look at Cambridge Soundworks, which most audio nerds think sounds better than Bose and costs a good bit less.

#5 Christian

Christian

• 10,762 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

What's your budget, Christian? It's been a few years since I frequented audiophile and videophile forums, but the general consensus on Bose is that they don't offer a lot of bang for the buck, mostly because the company spends so much on marketing and on their brick-and-mortar stores. For a similar, small, all-in-one box, you should also look at Cambridge Soundworks, which most audio nerds think sounds better than Bose and costs a good bit less.

Thanks, Darren. I was afraid the thread might spin toward anything-but-Bose.

Budget is about $700.