Photo

Aaron Belz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Has anyone ever heard of this guy? I discovered him today when I stumbled across this article on the WSJ, "How Calvinists Spread Thanksgiving Cheer," in which he quotes from John Calvin's commentaries in a positive way.

He's written several articles for HuffPo about twitter, and has apparently done some work as a comedian as well.

Some of his poems can be found here.

Some of his essays can be found here.

He also apparently went to Covenant College.

Needless to say, he sounds like a fascinating guy. Anyone read any of his books, articles, etc.? Is he a believer?

Edited by Gavin Breeden, 22 November 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#2 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,782 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

He also apparently went to Covenant College.

Ha! I went to school with some kinfolk of his. The Belzes are practically an institution at Covenant (Belz Hall is one of the dorms, for instance).

Can't say I've read him, though.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,122 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

I met him a few months back in L.A. (alas, during my weekend of traveling and speaking with total laryngitis). Joe Kickasola, the guy who wrote The Films of Krzysztof Kieslowski: The Liminal Image, introduced me to him. They invited me to go along with them to a Dmitri Martin show, and I really wanted to go, but I was just too sick at that point. I suspect others here at A&F know him too. He's prolific, multi-talented, and very funny. He doesn't just write and perform comedy; he studies it. Very funny, thoughtful guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0nUeDp7Ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjK4NY-Y1Sg

Edited by Overstreet, 22 November 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#4 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Been following this guy on twitter and reading some of his articles and poems online and really starting to like his work. Check out this recent poem, "It's a Wonderful Life: Alternate Ending."