Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

The French band Air's new project is an expanded version by the soundtrack they recorded for the color version of Georges Melies's A Trip to the Moon that was discovered in Spain in 1993. NPR has more about that project and the upcoming album, as well as a clip from the color version with Air's soundtrack.

Victoria Legrand (Beach House) also sings on the album.

Link to the Hugo movie thread, for reasons that will be obvious if you've seen the movie.

#2 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,303 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

First Listen.

Commissioned in conjunction with the priceless and painstaking restoration of the groundbreaking1902 science-fiction film of the same name, Le Voyage Dans La Lune (translation: A Trip To The Moon) provides a springily modern supplement to a work of massive historical import. Listening to the soundtrack, and especially watching the restored film, it's as if Air wants to serve notice that Georges Méliès' work was exactly 110 years ahead of its time.

#3 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Has anybody had a chance to listen to this much?

I'll admit I'm probably not the best person to ask as I'd imagine one's feelings about this album are probably tied up with how one feels about the rest of Air's work. And I'm embarrassed to say: I don't know too much. Sure I've heard bits here and there, but I've never been a huge fan.

I really liked this the first couple of times I listened to it. It might have had to do with the fact I was at work and the non-threatening casualness of the album was inviting. This isn't to say it doesn't have rough edges, but it had an ambiance that lent itself to background music. Of course, I only considered it that after listening to it at home. Since then, I haven't had too much of a desire to go back to it. There's nothing wrong with it of course. There's lots of good ideas, but it's not sticking for some reason.