Photo

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,491 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

Link to our thread on The Penguins of Madagascar (in development). We do not seem to have any threads on the first two films (2005-2008), though the first one did come up in our 'anthropomorphic munchies' thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aamLd4jqqu0

#2 Rachel Anne

Rachel Anne

• 683 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

SDG's review is up:

http://www.ncregiste...es-most-wanted/

I must say I don't ever think I've read him sounding so annoyed.

#3 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

Heh. Thanks for noticing, Bowen.

I was going for exasperated and weary, yes, though with more tolerant and positive notes here and there. At least some of my annoyance ("those dratted penguins") was meant to be amusing.

Actually, the word that I think best describes both the film(s) and the mood I meant to convey in my review is dull. The series is just so mediocre, so soulless and money-grubbing, a little visual panache here and there aside. Still, it doesn't actively annoy me to the tune of the likes of Mr. Popper's Penguins or Alice in Wonderland.

I'd like to hear from Peter on this—I know he saw the film and had a similar response, yes?

P.S. In my combox at the Register, one appreciative reader acclaimed my first sentence ("I blame the penguins for Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted") as the "Best. Opening. Line. Ever." :)

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,491 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

SDG wrote:
: I'd like to hear from Peter on this—I know he saw the film and had a similar response, yes?

Similar, yeah. Some of the story choices seemed rather arbitrary, like having the animals suddenly pop up in Monte Carlo just one scene after they were still sitting around in Africa -- if they can travel so easily, why make such a big deal of them being stranded in the first place? And, I dunno, but the various character arcs just seemed kind of obvious, the screenwriting very by-the-numbers. And then there are all the pop-culture references (hearing Katy Perry's 'Fireworks' *twice* in this film, and right after hearing it during the trailer for the upcoming Katy Perry concert movie, was a little much); in fact, I think there was a 'Born Free' riff in here that made me wonder if the filmmakers were even aware that they had already done a 'Born Free' riff in the *first* Madagascar.

That "Afro Circus" tune gets surprisingly catchy after three or four or five listens, though. Surprisingly, and maddeningly, catchy.

#5 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

After about twenty minutes my daughter asked me if I was asleep. I told her "No! I'm hanging in there!" Next thing I know the credits are rolling and she says to me, "Daddy, it was great! You should have hung in there!" lol

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,772 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Story of my life when it comes to home video. I think I've yet to conk out during a theatrical presentation, although I've come perilously close.

Edited by Christian, 16 June 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,491 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I very rarely go to late shows any more, precisely because I keep falling asleep, even if only for a few minutes. But I don't think I've ever fallen asleep at a theatre in the presence of my kids. I'm kinda too excited by the fact that I'm actually *taking my kids to the movies* for that. (Plus, I've never taken them to late shows.)

#8 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, for the record, Stef (persona) falls asleep at the theater any chance he gets if it isn't von Trier. but get that Dude to a concert and watch out!

My boys really liked it. It may be because theater viewing is still a rare and wonderful experience in our family or it may be those pesky penguin's SDG mentioned above. However, they were extremely bored by the neon circus sequence. And to SDG's other point, they also made a loud vocal note during the movie about how fast the 4 animals got to Monte carlo.

Overall, it is a good, silly animation to take the kids to but it has very little redeeming value in conveying a strong message of any sort. The friendship message is watered down and Alex the Lion is, once again, completely and utterly selfish in his quest. Yep, it's all about the money and keeping the stdio name out there in this growing market of competition.

#9 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

My boys really liked it. It may be because theater viewing is still a rare and wonderful experience in our family or it may be those pesky penguin's SDG mentioned above. However, they were extremely bored by the neon circus sequence.

Ha, the mirror image inverse of my reaction. Posted Image

And to SDG's other point, they also made a loud vocal note during the movie about how fast the 4 animals got to Monte carlo.

I don't remember making that point, but I agree.

#10 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

My boys really liked it. It may be because theater viewing is still a rare and wonderful experience in our family or it may be those pesky penguin's SDG mentioned above. However, they were extremely bored by the neon circus sequence.

Ha, the mirror image inverse of my reaction. Posted Image

Mine too!

And to SDG's other point, they also made a loud vocal note during the movie about how fast the 4 animals got to Monte carlo.

I don't remember making that point, but I agree.

Yeah, it was Peter. Sorry, thoughts of Madagascar numbed my mind. Thanks for not "Ahem"ing me Peter Posted Image

#11 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Well, for the record, Stef (persona) falls asleep at the theater any chance he gets if it isn't von Trier. but get that Dude to a concert and watch out!

I think I have been doing much better about this, but I still struggle greatly with bad cartoons. (And I do find most cartoons bad. But there have been exceptions, and I think I'm getting better at this.)

To me, Madagascar 3 suffered from characters who, like much of what you'd find on Nickelodeon, seem to have nothing to say if they're not screaming. This is ONE key thing that sometimes weeds out the good from the bad, and it is a quick and easy way to identify a weed.

#12 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Nothing to say? Nothing to say? What? Didn't you listen, "Circus stick together."

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,491 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

FWIW, this film is on the verge of crossing $700 million worldwide, which would make it the 51st film to do so and the 10th animated film to do so. This would also make it the top-grossing DreamWorks film ever worldwide that did not have the word "Shrek" in the title.

#14 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 958 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

I watched it with low expectations, and enjoyed it enough to not feel like I'd wasted my time.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,491 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Wow. In North America, this film might rank at #6 among DreamWorks Animation films, behind all four Shreks and How to Train Your Dragon... but overseas, the $500.5 million earned by this film so far is second only to Shrek Forever After's $513.9 million, and it could conceivably pass that, too.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 01 November 2012 - 01:06 AM.