DVD and Blu-ray deals

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

I know we have the Barnes & Noble coupon thread, but I thought we could use a dedicated all-purpose deal thread.

Right now, Amazon has a limited-time sale on Criterion's Essential Art House box sets (Vols. 1, 3, and 4) for $25 a piece.

Edited by du Garbandier, 15 December 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#2 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Today only, Amazon has a sale on the only Twilight-titled entity I have ever cared about: the complete Twilight Zone on blu-ray and dvd.

#3 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Today only starting at noon ET, Criterion is having a 50% off sale with the coupon code SWAK.

#4 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Man...it would be awesome if I did not get an error message everytime I tried to select a title. I am trying different browsers, my iPad...nothing but error messages.

Edited by Nezpop, 14 February 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

You're not the only one.

#6 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Criterion e-mailed me back saying they were experiencing unusually high volume traffic. (wonder why?) :)

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,305 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

After enduring many error messages, I've ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil on blu-ray. I am a happy collector.

#8 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yeah...I managed three titles...I may still cave and get the Wings of Desire blu-ray...

#9 Christian

Christian

• 10,902 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I still get error messages.

But why am I even looking?

#10 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,945 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

After enduring many error messages, I've ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil on blu-ray. I am a happy collector.

I had actually ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil last week at full price. Rats. But I did manage to pick up Empire of Passion and an Angel at My Table. One Really has to fight his way through to get this deal though.

Edited by Attica, 14 February 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#11 rjkolb

rjkolb

• 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I have not been able to access the site either. You would think that Criterion would have the ability to handle the volume if they are going to offer a deal.

#12 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Shipping costs to Canada make sales like this and the B&N sale fairly prohibitive to me. Very sad. I've been eyeing that LA JETÉE/SANS SOLEIL set.

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,305 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

They gave me an additional $10 discount because I had made a Criterion wish list on their site. Nice.

#14 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Shipping costs to Canada make sales like this and the B&N sale fairly prohibitive to me. Very sad. I've been eyeing that LA JETÉE/SANS SOLEIL set.

If you agree to recompense me after the fact and are willing to tolerate cheapest-rate USPS shipment from me, tell me what you want and I'll get it.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,830 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Or, possibly even better, Anders, you could have the order sent to my mailbox in Blaine, Washington, and I could forward the discs to you once I've picked them up and driven them back across the border into Canada. (My four-year-old goes to a preschool that's only about 15-20 minutes' drive from the American border, so I've had a lot of parcels sent to this address in the States over the past year and a half.)

#16 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

This is what I was going for. And apparently everyone else because when I finally got through tonight it was sold out.

#17 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,945 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

This is what I was going for. And apparently everyone else because when I finally got through tonight it was sold out.

I just received this E-mail from Criterion.

Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!
The Criterion Collection

#18 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

It works better if you use Internet Explorer for some reason (it's a lot slower, but I couldn't get the site to work with Chrome at all).

What should I get?

Eclipse Series 3: Late Ozu? Days of Heaven? The Thin Red Line?

For the life of me I can't find the "add to list" button to add films to a wish list.

#19 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Picked up the Blu-Ray box set for Three Colors. but it took me a few tries.

#20 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I just received this E-mail from Criterion.

Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!
The Criterion Collection

So is the new code going to go out to all newsletter subscribers?

After a bit of trouble (I couldn't get it to work at all early int he day) I picked up The Thin Red Line and the Three Colors trilogy on blu-ray, but I'd like La Jetée )which looks fascinating although I haven’t seen it yet – I just saw 12 Monkeys though).