Photo

Oscars 2012: Best Screenplay (Adapted)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Oscars 2012: Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Which nominee WILL win?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which nominee SHOULD win?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,774 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

The Writers Guild of America has announced its nominees:

• The Descendants, Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash; Based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemming; Fox Searchlight
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian; Based on the novel by Stieg Larsson, originally published by Norstedts; Columbia Pictures
  • The Help, Screenplay by Tate Taylor; Based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett; DreamWorks Pictures
  • Hugo, Screenplay by John Logan; Based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick; Paramount Pictures
  • Moneyball, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin; Story by Stan Chervin; Based on the book by Michael Lewis; Columbia Pictures
The winner will be announced February 19, or one week before the Oscars.

It is impossible to say how predictive the WGA nominations are, though, since a number of screenplays that WILL be eligible for the Oscar were disqualified from WGA consideration. As Kris Tapley noted last month, the WGA ballot did not include Oscar contenders like Albert Nobbs," "Carnage," "Drive," "Jane Eyre," "My Week with Marilyn," "Sarah's Key," "The Skin I Live In" or "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" in the adapted-screenplay category.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 24 January 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Vote!

And FWIW, note that only three of these nominees were also nominated by the Writers Guild: The Descendants, Hugo and Moneyball. Where the Writers Guild picked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Help, the Academy picked The Ides of March and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

#3 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 233 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

The nom for "The Ides of March" is the most unexpected all of the noms.(Well except for "Extremely Close" for Best Picture). It's not a terrible movie but not memorable. I mean how about "Dragon Tattoo,"?

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,774 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

The Writers Guild of America has announced its nominees:

And the winner is... The Descendants!

But keep in mind:

It is impossible to say how predictive the WGA nominations are, though, since a number of screenplays that WILL be eligible for the Oscar were disqualified from WGA consideration. As Kris Tapley noted last month, the WGA ballot did not include Oscar contenders like Albert Nobbs," "Carnage," "Drive," "Jane Eyre," "My Week with Marilyn," "Sarah's Key," "The Skin I Live In" or "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" in the adapted-screenplay category.