- The Descendants, Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash; Based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemming; Fox Searchlight
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian; Based on the novel by Stieg Larsson, originally published by Norstedts; Columbia Pictures
- The Help, Screenplay by Tate Taylor; Based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett; DreamWorks Pictures
- Hugo, Screenplay by John Logan; Based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick; Paramount Pictures
- Moneyball, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin; Story by Stan Chervin; Based on the book by Michael Lewis; Columbia Pictures
It is impossible to say how predictive the WGA nominations are, though, since a number of screenplays that WILL be eligible for the Oscar were disqualified from WGA consideration. As Kris Tapley noted last month, the WGA ballot did not include Oscar contenders like Albert Nobbs," "Carnage," "Drive," "Jane Eyre," "My Week with Marilyn," "Sarah's Key," "The Skin I Live In" or "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" in the adapted-screenplay category.
Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 24 January 2012 - 09:02 AM.