Cormac McCarthy Ridley Scott

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,792 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Look up "mixed feelings" in the Overstreet Dictionary and you will read this: "What Jeffrey feels when he learns that Cormac McCarthy is skipping over novel-writing and going straight to screenplay-writing. He would love to read a new McCarthy novel, but he's fascinated by the idea of a McCarthy story that's going first to the screen."

#2 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,522 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

The terrain of the script is reminiscent of the rough and tumble world depicted in No Country For Old Men. The protagonist in The Counselor is a respected lawyer who thinks he can dip a toe in to the drug business without getting sucked down. It is a bad decision and he tries his best to survive it and get out of a desperate situation. While McCarthy’s ICM agents Binky Urban and Ron Bernstein were expecting McCarthy to deliver his next novel, he instead surprised them with the spec script before returning to the book. The producers moved quickly and spent their own money to buy it in a sizable deal. They tell me they will go looking for a filmmaker as they talk to financiers.

So he wrote it while working on his next novel? That could make for some interesting comparative reading in the future....

#3 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,666 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Cormac's agent is named Binky?

#4 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

I would much rather have a new McCarthy novel, but I can see this working out okay--all of his books kind of read a little bit like a screenplay, just more vivid and fleshed-out ( I don't mean that as a dis, by the way). Of course, that doesn't mean he'll be a natural pro at screenwriting, but I think it works in his favor.

#5 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 246 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

This.

Edited by andrew_b_welch, 31 January 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#6 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

This.

You beat me to it!

Well, it's certainly not bad news. I'm beginning to think/hope, that Ridley's gotten back on the right path.

Hey, it can't be forgettable like A Good Year, at least.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ridley Scott Commits To Next Direct McCarthy’s ‘The Counselor’; Will Michael Fassbender Play Title Role?
EXCLUSIVE: The Cormac McCarthy script The Counselor might well be traveling on the fastest track toward production of any film in recent memory. I’m told that Ridley Scott has now committed to make The Counselor his next film. Other sources tell me that Scott has been talking to his Prometheus star Michael Fassbender about playing the title role. While a formal offer hasn’t been made, I believe there’s a high likelihood that Hollywood’s hottest actor will star in the film. . . .
Scott is eyeing a May 1 start date, and he is talking to a number of high-profile actors to take part in a film that insiders are describing as “No Country For Old Men on steroids.” . . .
The Counselor is reminiscent of the rough and tumble world depicted in the Oscar-winning adaptation of McCarthy’s novel No Country For Old Men. The protagonist is a respected lawyer who thinks he can dip a toe in to the drug business without getting sucked down. It is a bad decision and he tries his best to survive it and get out of a desperate situation. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 9

#8 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,450 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yes!! Anything to put on hold Blade Runner 2.

#9 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Fassbender commits.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,792 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Russian trailer.

#11 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

New trailer. The wonderful world of Javier Bardem's hair has a new exhibit.

#12 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

#13 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

New trailer. The title is The Counsellor--2 Ls--by the way.

#14 Evan C

Evan C

Being led on an illegal suicide mission by a selfish maniac.

• 793 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

IMDB lists it with only one L.  I think the spelling might be changing based on the country where it's being advertised.

#15 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

IMDB lists it with only one L.  I think the spelling might be changing based on the country where it's being advertised.

That could be. The only place I'm seeing it with 2 Ls is in the trailer itself (and the YouTube video title), which is from 20th Century Fox UK. 

#16 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,450 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Saw this poster in the lobby of a theatre last weekend, after seeing the trailer before watching Rush. Maybe it's just me, but this poster could have been for any Love Actually-type or Garry Marshall film of the past 15 years...

The-Counselor-2013-Movie-Banner-Poster.j

#17 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

The posters for this are legitimately terrible. Some of the footage that's been floating around isn't very good, either. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Edited by Ryan H., 11 October 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#18 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,450 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

The posters for this are legitimately terrible. Some of the footage that's been floating around isn't very good, either. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Yeah, the trailers have reminded me of a couple of Oliver Stone films (U Turn and Savages), neither of which I've ever felt compelled to watch.

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,792 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm off to see this tonight. Are others here staying quiet because of an embargo? 

I'm really curious about the lack of buzz about this one. It's a Cormac McCarthy screenplay. It should be an Event, right? It has Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender and Javier Bardem. Okay, the Ridley Scott factor does more harm than good to the film's chances at this point, but I'm trying to figure out why the fact that this is McCarthy hasn't generated more intrigue and excitement.

#20 Joel Mayward

Joel Mayward

father, husband, pastor, writer, film guy

• 210 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'm off to see this tonight. Are others here staying quiet because of an embargo? 

I'm really curious about the lack of buzz about this one. It's a Cormac McCarthy screenplay. It should be an Event, right? It has Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender and Javier Bardem. Okay, the Ridley Scott factor does more harm than good to the film's chances at this point, but I'm trying to figure out why the fact that this is McCarthy hasn't generated more intrigue and excitement.

I, for one, am VERY intrigued, as McCarthy is a personal favourite. But the lack of any reviews posted thus far has given me serious doubts about the film. Looking forward to hearing your response!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cormac McCarthy, Ridley Scott