Homeschooling

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Joel C

Joel C

Stuck in traffic somewhere between Canterbury and Rome

• 519 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Back to our textbook discussion, just found what seems to be a very cool up-and-coming approach to K-12 education, and what might be a great resource for HS parents: Kahn Academy.

There are a lot of online instructional resources, but few are this comprehensive, and also free.

#62 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,252 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Kahn Academy.

Posted Image

Wait, never mind. Different guy.

#63 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Back to our textbook discussion, just found what seems to be a very cool up-and-coming approach to K-12 education, and what might be a great resource for HS parents: Kahn Academy.

There are a lot of online instructional resources, but few are this comprehensive, and also free.

Thanks Joel, this looks interesting. We are getting close to settling on a math and phonics curriculum, but additions like this look helpful.

#64 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

*Poking my head in*

FWIW

I grew up in a non-church home (I became a Christian in high school) and went to public schools until college.

I know a few people who were homeschooled for some it was a good experience and some it was not. Same with public schooled friends of mine.

As for me, I think that my parents deep involvement in my educational and intellectual life had more to do with how I turned out than the school I went to. My parents (especially my father) loved the arts and so we went to art museums, the ballet, classical music concerts etc. We had hundreds of books in our home. I was expected (but not required) to go to college.

Most of my school friends didn't have these opportunities and were the poorer for it: meaning lower grades, test scores etc.

So my conclusion is that home environments are usually a primary influence on a child's education no matter where the child attends school.

#65 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

And despite all the valuable advice here, my wife has swung back entirely toward public schooling. We ran a quick benefit analysis, and it tilted in favor of public school for two main reasons: 1. Our daughter loves school, as I described above. 2. It gives us a better opportunity to dwell with and among our neighbors.

We do look forward to layering a number of activities in and around her school routine. I was so gung-ho about pushing forward with the home schooling option, but I am fine either way at this point.

#66 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Behold, the Homeschool Ryan Gosling meme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image