The Top Shots of 2011

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Kris Tapley is counting them down.

Saw this at the end of my lunch break and haven't had much time to digest it, but I thought it might generate some discussion here. I'm trying to think of my favorite shots of 2011, and am not sure what I'd single out. Definitely #10 on Tapley's list, which is actually my #1, unless I can come up with some others. A close #2 is the kiss in the elevator in Drive -- a sequence Tapley highlights, although he prefers a different image/shot.

#2 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm pleased to see that my favorite movie moment of 2011 won the Skandie for Best Scene. As Mike D'Angelo mentions in the post, the scene probably won't mean much to people who haven't seen the film, but it's a doozy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsByCegEZdA

Edited by Darren H, 17 February 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#3 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm pleased to see that my favorite movie moment of 2011 won the Skandie for Best Scene. As Mike D'Angelo mentions in the post, the scene probably won't mean much to people who haven't seen the film, but it's a doozy.

This film has also my favorite credit sequence. Probably from the past few years.

Edited by M. Leary, 17 February 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but while I've heard references to Skandies for years, I've never actually looked up what they *are* or how they work. Would someone point me to a history, voting explanation, etc?

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Okay, I found this history, but I still don't understand the results as they're presented on D'Angelo's blog. What are Skandies #1, Skandies #2, etc. Does that just represent which items took first place, which took 2nd, etc? And why present them in groups like that, rather than as lists? Just curious.

#6 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Paging Vic Morton . . .

My sense is that they're presented #1-#20 because Mike handles all of the tabulation and writing himself (which is very time-consuming), and because they enjoy the daily discussion generated by the slow reveal.

#7 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but while I've heard references to Skandies for years, I've never actually looked up what they *are* or how they work. Would someone point me to a history, voting explanation, etc?

Seconded. I don't mind that you guys want to be a "secret society," but if you're going to publicize stuff, shouldn't the group's mission/purpose and membership be public and obvious? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

I recall Victor tweeting a couple of weeks back along the lines of, "Oh, Skandies, how could you." I looked over the linked blog posts and couldn't figure out what had upset him. Maybe I mis-read the intent of that tweet.

#8 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I'm not sure if talking amongst themselves on Twitter counts as "publicity." I can't think of any good reason why Mike and his self-selected (and self-described) "film geek" friends should be obligated to do anything other than whatever they want to do.

#9 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'm not sure if talking amongst themselves on Twitter counts as "publicity." I can't think of any good reason why Mike and his self-selected (and self-described) "film geek" friends should be obligated to do anything other than whatever they want to do.

So you'd point to a list of shots from the films of 2011 selected by a group of people.

The obvious question among those reviewing those selections: Who are these people?

Your response: None of your business!

#10 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

To me it's not "none of your business"; it's "who cares?" You started this thread by pointing to a post by a guy I've never heard of. I honestly don't care who that guy is. I'm only interested in how his tastes intersect with and diverge from my own. Other than the five people I know personally, the Skandies crew is a complete mystery to me, but I can tell from a quick glance at their collective voting that they watch a lot more films than I do each year and that they have catholic tastes. That, along with their enthusiasm for styles of filmmaking that I'm also enthusiastic about (House of Pleasures, for example), gives them some measure of credibility in my eyes.

Edited by Darren H, 17 February 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#11 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

I recall Victor tweeting a couple of weeks back along the lines of, "Oh, Skandies, how could you."

Pretty sure this was a good-natured joke about some voting result or another that Vic disagreed with -- as in, "Oh, Skandies, how could you put Melancholia five places ahead of what is clearly the best film of the year, Of Gods and Men."

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

FWIW, I didn't mean for my questions to carry any note of indignation. Just curiosity. A lot of critics I highly respects have made references to Skandies, and their lists indicate refined sensibilities and adventurous viewing, so I was just curious about the process behind, and presentation of, their lists.