Photo

CCM's 500 best albums of all times.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chillinrev

chillinrev

• 208 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

Yes I know lists are just someone's opinion. I know lists are pointless. I know lists are infuriating and often emit key albums in our own opinion. But I love lists. I loved this one as it includes more mainstream artists in it too. A great walk down memory lane and a reminder of Christian music history and my own history. Key albums that I just have to listen to again. What do you think of the top three? Very interesting. Enjoy or endure or ignore, the choice is yours Posted Image .

http://ccms500bestal....wordpress.com/

#2 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Colours better than Rainbow's End? Love in the Western World better than Lost Horizon (which isn't even on the list)? Alarma better than Doppelganger, Darn Floor or Horrendous Disc? Meltdown above I Predict 1990? Rockin' Revival ahead of World of Sand? Romeo and Notes but no Ole? No mention of Kaiser/Mansfield? Lone Justice at 487?

The guy's a nut.

Seriously, I've run across this list before. He has laboured on it since. It is a ponderous chain. I probably own 70 percent of it. I'd never have the time or patience to go to such great lengths discussing it, but I'm glad someone did. I do think he tends to favor early works by artists who made better records later on.

Edited by mrmando, 19 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#3 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

It's not worth getting out the paddles and beating the dead horse of "How does U2 qualify as a CCM band?"

Right?

#4 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

It's not worth getting out the paddles and beating the dead horse of "How does U2 qualify as a CCM band?"

Right?

U2 and another 50 or so bands/performers on that list. I have no quarrel with the list per se. It's one guy's take on his favorite music, and I enjoyed his commentary. But there are several dozen folks on that list who have nothing to do with CCM. As a list of "My Top 500 Albums That Have Something Vaguely To Do With Christianity And Spirituality," it's just fine. But "CCM's 500 Best Albums Of All Time" is highly misleading and inaccurate. It's also fairly clear that the author hasn't listened to much music since the '90s.

#5 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

I like his choice of #1.

#2 reminds me that I haven't heard this record. It also reminds me that I haven't seen the new documentary, and I really want to see it.

#3 is not ccm. But that's been said here.

Wow, he has put a LOT of work into this list. I might spend a little time with the list later on, just checking it out for all the work he's put into it...

#6 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 341 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I still am a bit confused as to how he fiddled around with the rankings on the 500 list from his original 50 album list.

Some interesting choices...I agree though, he hasn't listened to much music created over the past decade.

#7 chillinrev

chillinrev

• 208 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

As I said for me it was about history, my own story. Remembering when I first became a Christian and for better or worse discovered CCM. Realise how boring the whole CCM scene is now compared to back then. Bands like The Choir, Adam Again, Mad at the World, the 77's, Daniel Amos, Violet Burning etc. Amazing that these radical acts were found on Christian labels in Christian bookstores. Now what do we get? Just same old same old, buy one CD you have the whole collection. Also it strikes me how boring music is in general now. Where is the creativity? Even on here the majority of artists are folk/rock singer songwriters. One or two break the mould like Son Lux, but not to a great extent. Back then I used to discover a new band all the time, creative, fresh sounding. Yes for every 1 good band there were 1000 bits of dirge but now where is the 1? CCM is a bad description of the list, should have been Christian world view artists or something. But again my journey incorporated those artists, U2, the Alarm, the Waterboys, Bruce Cockburn, Kerry Livgren/Kansas. As you say the list is more than a list, so much work has gone into it. How did he find the time? It is very American, where are delirious? for instance? It is lacking stuff from the last 10-15 years, but what new artists could feature in such a list? Josh Garrels? Um, is that it? There are huge ommisions, huge gaps, huge argument points, but a great deal to make me think of the journey of my life. These albums may not have been your soundtrack and that is fine, but for me there is so much of my journey to see. Almost like past altars there to remind me of what God has done and where He has taken me. Lists, don't you love/hate them?

#8 Mike_tn

Mike_tn

weaned on Disney

• 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

A great music ideas list, to go beyond current radio play....or beyond the last ten years of radio play and to see how we differ in taste. Radio play gets boring fast.

We used to have this commercial free Christian college radio station that went off the air in the last national economic meltdown, Trevecca Nazarene University radio. It offered a lot more variety and no adverts, and an FM signal repeater in my no-count suburb. I miss it loads. But I can take a list like this guys blog and go to MySpace or the used store and poke around with my CD Walkman for a listen. Even buy a CD when I can't resist The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes & The Pride Of Life, to bring up that guys #1 band. I just discovered the 77s, after 12 years of CCM listening. They are a great find. Probably would never have found them if that radio station was still on the air because it made me go to the web. Life from death maybe...getting the web at home last summer had something to do with it. That band has several albums with their own entourage of diehard fan boys. A good sign. You can download Flac files from their web site. Anyone download from their band site? (http://www.77s.com/index2.html)

To the blog, I can understand preference differences in ordering but some of these bands are like, huh.
Midnight Oil at #255 < CCM? I used to rock to them. I think the front man is a lawyer. Can a lawyer be Christian...just kidding.

Open minded chap to get that huge 500 variety. Maybe it takes half a lifetime of fluctuating musical tastes to see inside that list.