Photo

Willie O'Winsbury

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Whose Willie is the Best Willie?

Whose Willie is the Best Willie?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Over at The Greatest Song Ever Written Thread there is, perhaps unsurprisingly, considerable interest in The Greatest Song Ever Written, which is, as we know, 'Willie O'Winsbury', by Some Old Scottish Guy.

So, it's time we had a Willie-Off. Here are the contenders, feel free to post other versions, and I will add them to the poll. Whose version of this classic tale of did-she-didn't-she, poor-man-is-rich-man intrigue and repressed homosexuality rules the roost?

1. Meg Baird
2. Fairport Convention
3. Anne Briggs
4. Dick Gaughan
5. Kate Rusby
6. (can't find)

Edited by stu, 28 February 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#2 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,855 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

This poll is incomplete without the Pentangle version.

#3 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

This poll is hilarious. I voted for Fake Willie. It was the first Willie I heard, which counts for something. And it features Sandy Denny, which counts for even more.

Might as well as toss in the version from Richard Thompson, who once had the cheek to claim Fake Willie as his own song.

#4 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Poll amended to include Pentangle and Richard Thompson versions of the song ('Hippie Willie' and 'Dicky's Willie' respectively).

This thread has a somewhat limited audience, doesn't it? I voted for Dick Gaughan, but I think he only got it because it's on my radar at the moment. Also, Gaughan can sing 'long' as 'lang' and not sound like he's trying too hard, which gets him a couple of votes in itself.

#5 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Poll amended to include Pentangle and Richard Thompson versions of the song ('Hippie Willie' and 'Dicky's Willie' respectively).

This thread has a somewhat limited audience, doesn't it? I voted for Dick Gaughan, but I think he only got it because it's on my radar at the moment. Also, Gaughan can sing 'long' as 'lang' and not sound like he's trying too hard, which gets him a couple of votes in itself.

I don't know about the limited audience. I believe that there are at least four people worldwide who would vote for "Willie O'Winsbury" as the greatest song ever written, and at least two of them are participating in this thread.

Kudos on "Dicky's Willie," a veritable triple entendre.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 27 February 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#6 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I don't know about the limited audience. I believe that there are at least four people worldwide who would vote for "Willie O'Winsbury" as the greatest song ever written, and at least two of them are participating in this thread.

Thanks. 'Dicky's Willie' just fell into my hands,so to speak...

#7 BethR

BethR

• 2,855 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ew.

#8 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Ew.

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I crossed an artsandfaith line with that one. It was Whitman's fault - he's a bad influence.

#9 BethR

BethR

• 2,855 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Boys will be boys, I guess :)