D&D Next

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,569 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I could very well be typing to myself with this, but Wizards of the Coast announced a few months ago that they were planning the next edition (the fifth) of Dungeons & Dragons. They're calling it D&D Next.

I'm really interested in the development of this. If you haven't been keeping up on D&D in the past decade or so, here's my synopsis: D&D 3E changed the game's rules up quite a bit in the late '90s, and made the game even more popular. That said, it also lost some of the old-school fans. WotC then debuted D&D 4E a few years ago, and that was even more different than 3E. (Many gamers complained that the new edition was geared toward winning new fans instead of keeping old ones, as the game's core mechanics became a little bit more video game-like.) Scores of D&D fans left 4E behind and started "clones" of older editions of D&D. So many left, in fact, that a modified version of D&D 3E — called Pathfinder — has been regularly outselling anything from WotC over the past few years.

So it seems like with D&D Next, the design teams is asking gamers — old and new, alienated or fanboy — what they think should happen with the next edition. More and more, it looks like WotC is planning making a tool-box style game, one that will actually involve mix and match elements from all previous edition (even the earlier Gary Gygax white/blue box versions). Want a more heroic game? You can add these things. Want a more powers-based game, like 4E? You can add this or that.

I don't know if this tool-box approach will be the final result, but letting people weigh in on decisions for the entire process like this has never really been done before in the gaming world, at least to this degree.

Here's a link to one of the key blog posts they made.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,879 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Link to our thread on 'Gary Gygax, co-creator of "Dungeons & Dragons", is dead' (Mar 2008 - May 2009).

#3 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,569 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

AV Club critic Todd VanDerWerff started a new monthly column today about all of the geeky things he missed growing up, things he is now investigating as an adult. First up: Dungeons & Dragons. I think it might be one of the finest pieces of writing to come out of the site, so it's worth a read even if you have no interest in tabletop gaming.

#4 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Great article. His discussion of his Christian background, and the tension that he experienced when it came to Dungeons & Dragons, is something very — and sadly — familiar to me.

Oh, and bonus points for the Carmen references. There was a time when "The Witches Invitation" was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

#5 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,694 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Some guy wants to make a movie based on Dark Dungeons, the anti-RPG comic Jack Chick produced in the 1980s.

#6 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,569 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Some guy wants to make a movie based on Dark Dungeons, the anti-RPG comic Jack Chick produced in the 1980s.

I saw this when you posted it, Tyler, but I wanted to add a belated "thank you." This is comedy gold.