The Booth at the End

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,500 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Just stumbled on this show by accident when catching up with a show on Hulu, and I dug it a lot. It's a small-scale production--all conversations set in a diner, at a single booth, and there are only five twenty-three episodes--but has some really terrific acting and a delightful Rod Serling edge. Xander Berkeley stars as The Man, a mysterious individual who sits in a diner and barters with people to get what they want, requiring the completion of tasks in return. The desires of the characters vary. One wants to be beautiful, another wants her husband to recover from Alzheimer's, another wants to be an excellent painter. The tasks are different, too, such as robbing a bank, detonating a bomb in a diner, or protecting a little girl from harm. How the characters grapple with these tasks unfolds over the course of the five episodes with varying results.

Some of the stories are better than others, but it maintains a generally consistent level of quality throughout its five episodes, in no small part because of Berkeley's wonderful performance as The Man. While THE BOOTH AT THE END won't change your life, it's more than worth a peek, if you can find the time (and given that it's not an enormous time commitment, it's easier to find time for THE BOOTH AT THE END than many other shows).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBAt_Arae-Y"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XBAt_Arae-Y[/url]

Edited by Ryan H., 01 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#2 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I came across this 2-3 weeks ago, and enjoyed it as well (though I've still yet to watch the final episodes). I liked the small, intimate scale of things, which helped given that it's entirely dialog-driven, and yes, Berkeley's performance is solid.

#3 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Here's a review of the show that I wrote for Christ and Pop Culture.

#4 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

I watched the first two episodes tonight. It's kind of like The Box, but good.

#5 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Season 2 has begun streaming on Hulu...

#6 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,500 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Season 2 has begun streaming on Hulu...

Oooh.

#7 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

A new diner! And a Heisenberg hat!

I recognized Doris as the waitress from the first season, but not the character who appears in the last shot. Have we seen her before?

#8 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,500 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Episode 2 of this season took some interesting turns. Given a frew of the stories, it appears that faith/religion is going to play a very big part in this season.

#9 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I recognized Doris as the waitress from the first season, but not the character who appears in the last shot. Have we seen her before?

I got the impression that she was the girl who died at the end of the last season, and was resurrected by her father.

#10 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I got the impression that she was the girl who died at the end of the last season, and was resurrected by her father.

Yeah, she's in the second episode, and they review her plotline.