Photo

FilmFest DC 2012

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

The complete schedule was supposed to be announced later this week, but the fest's website has what looks to be the full line-up of titles and directors currently on its home page.

Ceylan's film is getting some sort of theatrical release, although the way it goes here in D.C., that means 7 whole days at Landmark's E St., maybe two weeks if we're lucky. So I might make Once Upon a Time in Anatolia a priority during the festival. The National Gallery of Art is showing Sansho the Baliff, which I've never seen, as well as a film by Naomi Kawase, whose work I've only read about. (I've seen the Ozu, but wouldn't mind seeing it again, of course.)

Does anyone know anything about the films or filmmakers behind this year's FilmFest DC for Kids lineup?

Eleanor's Secret (France), directed by Dominique Monfery
Summer War (Japan), directed by Mamoru Hosoda
Thousand Year Fire (Japan), directed by Naoki Segi

The fest also is featuring a group of comedies this year, including one by ... Takashi Miike.

We have a thread on Elena, but has anyone here seen the latest from Hirokazu Kore-Eda yet? That'll also be at FilmFest.

What am I missing?

#2 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,181 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I adored I Wish, narrowly missed my Top 10. Reminded me of Nobody Knows, which I'm very fond of. More of what is traditionally thought of as Kore-eda than Air Doll. I've heard good buzz about Pink Ribbons, Inc. Would really like to see it.

Edit: I've also heard good things about Monsieur Lazhar.

Edit II: You know, I've been thinking about I Wish all night and I'm trying to remember why it wasn't in my Top 10. Maybe because I wanted to include some different voices than what I've had before? I'm not one to retroactively change my list--I don't think it's that important--but in retrospect, today, I've thought more about that film and like what it has to say (and how it says it) more than Dangerous Method, at the very least.

Edited by kenmorefield, 18 March 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#3 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I've seen some of them (I'll link to my reviews in case you find them helpful).
Abu, Son of Adam I liked it fairly well. It was India's submission for Oscar consideration.
Free Men my review comes up Friday. OK
Once upon a Time in Anatolia I thought dragged. Never quite got into it.
Habana Eva Interesting look at Cuban life. My interview with director
Unfinished Spaces. See this one!

Haven't seen Leave it on the Floor, but heard much good about it.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 18 March 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,351 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

To the ones already mentioned, I'll add The Island President. I decided at the last minute to not see it at TIFF, but Michael Sicinski really liked it.

#5 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'll do some more investigating of these films online; links to the films will help, once they're posted later this week on the FilmFest DC site.

Ken: A D.C. critic colleague posted on Facebook this morning that she had introduced a "wonderful Japanese film" at the Sunday Talk Cinema series this morning. The film turned out to be I Wish. I've never seen anything by the director, despite all the praise he's received in these parts and elsewhere. I did acquire Nobody Knows at a video-store closing sale but have never gotten around to watching it. Suppose I should make it a priority.

Edited by Christian, 18 March 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#6 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'll do some more investigating of these films online; links to the films will help, once they're posted later this week on the FilmFest DC site.

Ken: A D.C. critic colleague posted on Facebook this morning that she had introduced a "wonderful Japanese film" at the Sunday Talk Cinema series this morning. The film turned out to be I Wish. I've never seen anything by the director, despite all the praise he's received in these parts and elsewhere. I did acquire Nobody Knows at a video-store closing sale but have never gotten around to watching it. Suppose I should make it a priority.

The FilmFestDC site now apparently has the times posted for the films.

Edited by vjmorton, 21 March 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,212 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Christian,

Whatever you do, don't watch Nobody Knows and Treeless Mountain during the same six-month period. The combination could do permanent damage.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Christian,

Whatever you do, don't watch Nobody Knows and Treeless Mountain during the same six-month period. The combination could do permanent damage.

Ha! Well, it's been more than a year since I watched Treeless Mountain, so I'm safe.

#9 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

The FilmFestDC site now apparently has the times posted for the films.

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and Sansho the Baliff are both playing on Sundays, so those are out. I Wish and Elena might work.

#10 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,181 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Christian, I don't want to complicate your ponderings, but I'm very tempted by Eleanor's Secret at the Goethe Institute on Saturday. The week before is Full Frame, so I'm on the fence, but...

I'd also be interested in the Ozu at the National Gallery, which, of course, is at the same time as Eleanor's secret. Anyway, keep me in the loop about what you might see that second weekend.

Ken

#11 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,163 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Summer Wars earned some plaudits here a while back - my kids and I dug it, but I prefer an earlier film by the same director, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I'd love to see another film by Naomi Kawase: her films are hard to come by in the US of A, but seeing The Mourning Forest at TIFF in 2007 was a real treat (and I see it won the Grand Prix at Cannes that same year): gorgeous visual compositions of rural Japan and a gentle, deeply moving tale of loss and healing.

And I'd eat my hat (or hell, a roomful of hats) for the chance to see Late Spring on a big screen. Sansho not so much; if it were Ugetsu, on the other hand...

#12 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Has anyone heard about Jean Gentil? The description has me intrigued:

Jean Gentil
LAURA AMELIA GUZMÁN AND ISRAEL CÁRDENAS
Dominican Republic, Mexico, Germany, 2010, 84 minutes, Color

Jean is an educated and devout Christian man, forced like many others to leave Haiti to look for work in the Dominican Republic. His biggest virtue is his remarkably genteel and dignified attitude in the face of rejection and discrimination. When he can't find work in Santo Domingo, he sets out into the incredibly lush countryside, only to find himself pushed further into loneliness and desperation. Cárdenas and Guzmán create an intimate portrait of a quiet soul searching for a better life in a seemingly indifferent world. With its stunning landscape, naturalistic performances, and focus on character rather than societal injustice, this gentle film makes an inspiring, universal statement of the triumph of dignity. Jean Gentil won the Special Jury Mention at the Venice Film Festival and the Special Jury Award for Originality and Innovation at the Thessaloniki Film Festival. —Portland Film Festival

#13 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Summer Wars earned some plaudits here a while back - my kids and I dug it, but I prefer an earlier film by the same director, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I'd love to see another film by Naomi Kawase: her films are hard to come by in the US of A, but seeing The Mourning Forest at TIFF in 2007 was a real treat (and I see it won the Grand Prix at Cannes that same year): gorgeous visual compositions of rural Japan and a gentle, deeply moving tale of loss and healing.

And I'd eat my hat (or hell, a roomful of hats) for the chance to see Late Spring on a big screen. Sansho not so much; if it were Ugetsu, on the other hand...

UGETSU is playing at NGA a couple weekends earlier in its "Japan Divas" series of which SANSHO also is part. Also in the series: Mizoguchi's SISTERS OF THE GION, STREET OF SHAME, and LIFE OF OHARU; Ozu's TOKYO STORY, EARLY SUMMER and EQUINOX FLOWER; Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD; and Naruse's FLOWING.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

• 2,163 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

UGETSU is playing at NGA a couple weekends earlier in its "Japan Divas" series of which SANSHO also is part. Also in the series: Mizoguchi's SISTERS OF THE GION, STREET OF SHAME, and LIFE OF OHARU; Ozu's TOKYO STORY, EARLY SUMMER and EQUINOX FLOWER; Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD; and Naruse's FLOWING.

Oh man, that's painful...I wish I lived closer to D.C.

#15 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Oh man, that's painful...I wish I lived closer to D.C.

Oh ... my apologies then. I took your descriptor "Existential Augustine Goes to Washington" (along with reading a FilmFestDC thread) as meaning that you did live in DC or nearby (yo vivo en Alexandria). Otherwise, it'd be pretty pointless, verging on grandstanding, to detail an NGA program.

#16 Andrew

Andrew

• 2,163 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

No worries at all - I take a certain vicarious pleasure in seeing what is happening in metropoles, and have lots of family in the Balto-D.C. area, so I may actually get to one of their programs someday.

#17 Christian

Christian

• 10,829 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Christian, I don't want to complicate your ponderings, but I'm very tempted by Eleanor's Secret at the Goethe Institute on Saturday. The week before is Full Frame, so I'm on the fence, but...

I'd also be interested in the Ozu at the National Gallery, which, of course, is at the same time as Eleanor's secret. Anyway, keep me in the loop about what you might see that second weekend.

Ken

Ken, it's looking like this upcoming weekend won't work out for FilmFest screenings for me. My wife and daughters have been invited to a bridal shower from 2-5 p.m. Saturday, leaving me with the boys to look after and pretty much gutting the possibility of any Saturday-afternoon screenings. I'm out Tuesday and Thursday nights this week for review screenings, so the presence of my company has been requested for Friday night -- my other "free" night.

Sorry.

#18 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,181 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

No worries. I'm a bit exhausted from Full Frame,so a D.C. trip this weekend would be tough.