• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,053 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sigh.

it does, in fact, deliver plenty of both nude nuns and big guns, all wrapped up in your standard revenge plot and taped together with a noodling wah-pedal guitar soundtrack. Sister Sarah (Asun Ortega) is caught trying to smuggle a package of product in her vestments during an exchange between drug trafficking priests and a biker gang called Los Muertos. As punishment, the priests pimp her out to the bikers who shoot her so full of heroin that she develops one hell of a Joan of Arc complex. When an aging heroin cooker named Mr. Foo (Maxie J. Santillan Jr.) cleans her up and gives her two shiny pistols, she thanks him by shooting him in the back.

The article also uses the word "nunsploitation".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubtt1RDk_M0

#2 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

It feels like a fake trailer from Grindhouse...where it might have been amusing..but an actual film...huh.

#3 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,053 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

It feels like a fake trailer from Grindhouse...where it might have been amusing..but an actual film...huh.

Yeah, that was the sense I got from the Salon review.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

The title doesn't justify me watching the trailer. I'm certain it will be forced on me at some point. However, the title also kinda suggests its a sequel to Snakes on a Plane. And the thought of that has become the most indecisive emotion I've had in the past week.

#5 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Exactly. I can't stop laughing when I read that plot description (I am a very irreverent Catholic ... Steve and The Schmed should feel free to block me). But my general reaction to the nun "genre movies" I've seen (that includes comedies like NUNS ON THE RUN or SISTER ACT but excludes "serious" stuff like THE NUN'S STORY, LES ANGES DU PECHE, AUTUMN ADAGIO, etc) is that they quickly become rather tedious. It's as if, once the concept has been developed, all the creativity is tapped out. It's as if the writers think they need do no more because the sight or mere presence of habits or wimples is inherently funny or exciting or novel. Which, after the plot description or the title or the poster ... it isn't.

ADD: I also once dissed a film by saying it exhibited The Fallacy of the Vulgar Clergy: "Showing a nun or priest do things like curse, drink, smoke, discuss bodily fluids or drive recklessly is not inherently funny. cf. 'Fallacy of the Vulgar Granny'."

Edited by vjmorton, 19 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.