Photo

Momentum!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,885 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Last night, driving home, I finished the second-to-last CD in my audiobook. Instead of starting the final CD—I figured it could wait for today’s commute—I popped in one of the music CDs that was in my car. Just to finish off the trip.

But this morning, that CD started up when I turned on the ignition, and before I could pop out the CD, I was captivated by it … again. The music flowed and built as one song led to another. I wanted to take the CD out. I wanted get to that final audiobook CD. But I just couldn’t do it. I was carried along by the momentum of the music. I had to play the entirety of the album before I could move on to the audiobook.

This was no struggle. The music provided great pleasure, and I was thoroughly under its spell.

Have you ever had this experience—a CD that, once started, you can’t take out until you’ve played the whole thing? Let’s call it “momentum.” Which CDs have it?

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

The Violet Burning's self titled, The Prayer Chain's "Mercury," the first two Iron & Wine CDs, Arcade Fire's "Funeral," I've probably had this experience with quite a few U2 records at least upon their release... Hmmm, there are many more, but those are the first ones that pop to mind.

Ooh - I'll add this: I'm certain many Choir albums are like this for me as well, but particularly "Chase the Kangaroo" and "Circle Slide."

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Last night I drove to Chicago and thought of this thread, and thought of the fact that I should also list a bunch of Radiohead albums. I'm sure you know what they are, the usual suspects...

#4 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Last night I drove to Chicago and thought of this thread, and thought of the fact that I should also list a bunch of Radiohead albums. I'm sure you know what they are, the usual suspects...

This happens to me with too many albums to list, but for me, it's generally true of shorter works (40 ish minutes) than albums that use the entire CD medium plus. So, yeah, pretty much all of Radiohead's albums except Pablo Honey can do that to me. Just about all Dylan albums, too.

I may be swept up in a single disc of a double album, but I generally don't want to listen to the whole front to back in one sitting. (Dylan's Blonde on Blonde may be an exception, though)

Edited by bloop, 01 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#5 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 999 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm an "album guy," so this is how I listen to most of my music. I like artists that put thought and creativity into how the songs are sequenced and presented... of course, some artists do this a lot better than others. I occasionally listen to stuff on "shuffle" but by and large, I listen to full albums. It's part of the experience.

#6 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm an "album guy," so this is how I listen to most of my music. I like artists that put thought and creativity into how the songs are sequenced and presented... of course, some artists do this a lot better than others. I occasionally listen to stuff on "shuffle" but by and large, I listen to full albums. It's part of the experience.

Me too. I thought about answering Christian's query with some examples. But really, this is my default music listening experience. I rarely listen to music in shuffle mode, and some albums (still, thank God) would make absolutely no sense if the songs were played out of context.