• Please log in to reply
898 replies to this topic

#61 Bethany

Bethany

Apparent Linguistic Thinker

• New User
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

Terminator begins on May 12, I know. I can't remember how many days it spans, though.

#62 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,254 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Bethany @ Nov 4 2004, 04:12 PM)
Terminator begins on May 12, I know. I can't remember how many days it spans, though.

View Post

Tempting. I could move BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to the 13th, but that would eliminate THE DREAMERS. Which is mostly a crummy movie, but i really like the tie-in with cinema history.

Oh, not to worry! Since TERMINATOR takes more than one day, I bet I can come up with a later date. Another reason to watch this one...

#63 Bethany

Bethany

Apparent Linguistic Thinker

• New User
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(Ron @ Nov 4 2004, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE(Bethany @ Nov 4 2004, 04:12 PM)

View Post

Tempting. I could move BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to the 13th, but that would eliminate THE DREAMERS. Which is mostly a crummy movie, but i really like the tie-in with cinema history.

Oh, not to worry! Since TERMINATOR takes more than one day, I bet I can come up with a later date. Another reason to watch this one...

View Post

I only knew that offhand because when I saw it last year for the first time, the titlecard came up reading MAY 12, 1984, 4:something a.m. and I was born May 12, 1984 at 6:something a.m. so I thought "Hey, I'm being born right now." Which was odd. smile.gif

I think, but I could very well be wrong, that Terminator takes place from May 12-14. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#64 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Bethany @ Nov 4 2004, 09:17 PM)
I only knew that offhand because when I saw it last year for the first time, the titlecard came up reading MAY 12, 1984, 4:something a.m. and I was born May 12, 1984 at 6:something a.m. so I thought "Hey, I'm being born right now." Which was odd. smile.gif

View Post

Oh, now that's the coolest!

#65 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,587 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:12 PM

Well, Ron, I'll try this again and hope the post doesn't delete. You may have to re-enter this on your list.

The final scenes of Gallipoli take place over the days of Aug 6th and 7th, 1915... during the British Navy's landing at Suvalo Bay and the Battle of The Nek.

#66 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Baal_T'shuvah @ Dec 8 2004, 09:12 AM)
Well, Ron, I'll try this again and hope the post doesn't delete.  You may have to re-enter this on your list.

Oh, how odd! So there was some sort of global problem with the board? I also noticed that my recent Movie Journal entry was no longer there. Thanks for the heads up!

#67 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Last night I watched the wonderful BEFORE THE SUNRISE. Perfect for my calendar! It takes place within maybe 12 hours, and the characters eventually tell us it's June 16 to June 17. Sweet.

Anyone know if BEFORE THE SUNSET also takes place on a specific date?

#68 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,606 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:38 AM

Ron, did you see some weird, funky, translated-into-French-and-then-back-into-English versions of a couple of Richard Linklater films or something?

#69 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Dec 19 2004, 12:38 AM)
Ron, did you see some weird, funky, translated-into-French-and-then-back-into-English versions of a couple of Richard Linklater films or something?

View Post

All the Linklater I've seen was in the original Swahili. Why do you ask?

#70 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the other films of his you've seen had titles like THE SLACKER, THE DAZED AND THE CONFUSED, THE SUBURBIA or WAKING THE LIFE.

#71 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Dec 20 2004, 09:03 AM)
Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the other films of his you've seen had titles like THE SLACKER, THE DAZED AND THE CONFUSED, THE SUBURBIA or WAKING THE LIFE.

View Post

I think that's THE WAKING THE LIFE.

#72 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,665 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:28 PM

This one might be a stretch.

From today in history (1/12) --

1997: HAL, the computer in Stanley Kubrick's movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, informs the crew that he was built on this day.

#73 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,587 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

Here's an opportunity to see one of Tony Curtis' best performances. 37 years ago today (1/18/67), Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler, was convicted of his crimes. A year later, Richard Fleischer's film The Boston Strangler was released, starring Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and George Kennedy. Curtis was a Golden Globe nominee for this performance.

#74 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

Feb. 22 Miracle Today is the day the US beat the USSR in Lake Placid.

#75 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:45 AM

March 11 - Romeo and Juliet marry on this date

#76 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,665 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

March 28 - The Hours. Today is the date on which Virginia Woolf walked into the river with her pockets full of rocks.

#77 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,665 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Today (12 June) is Anne Frank's birthday. She recieved her diary for her birthday, so I would suspect that it would be fitting for The Diary of Anne Frank to be listed today.

Another event on this date is Medgar Evers' murder. But all I've found so far are a couple of TV films (one a doc) about it.

#78 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,606 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

kenmorefield wrote:
: Darrel Manson wrote:

: : Another event on this date is Medgar Evers' murder. But all I've found so far are a
: : couple of TV films (one a doc) about it.
:
: Ghosts of Mississippi deals with the events surrounding the attempts to prosecute
: Evers's killer 30 years later. It features Alec Baldwin as the D.A. and Whoopi Goldberg
: as his widow.

One of these days I've got to post my interview with the real-life D.A. that Baldwin played somewhere. It turns out he's a pretty devout Christian, but the film never, ever, ever lets this on -- and why would it, since it was directed by Rob Reiner? Best to let the only talk of religion come from that racist killer played by James Woods. I alluded to this at the beginning of my Books & Culture article on Amistad.

#79 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

I have another one for 9/11, although no where near as serious as the films already listed on this date, but a film that has an odd connection to 9/11. The Big Lebowski opens on the evening of 9/11. How do I know this? Because in the opening narrative sequence, the Dude is at a Ralphs supermarket purchasing a carton of Half & Half creamer, which he pays for by check. A check written out in the amount of $0.69, and dated Sept 11th, 91.

Oh, and in the background there is a television playing George Bush Sr.'s address to Congress about the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and his famous quote of, "This aggression will not stand." Now, I don't know if 9/11 was the actual date of this address (in fact, I'm sure it most likely occured a year earlier, since by Sept. 91 we had already defeated Iraq and liberated Kuwait), but wow... what an eerie date for the Coen's to pick, and an eerie soundbite to play with our knowledge of what happens 10 years later. Especially since it was around this time, a time when American troops were on Saudi soil, that Osama Bin Laden supposedly began shaping his views of U.S. - Arab relations, and what his role in the coming years would become (I know I'm really over simplifying this, but I'm a little pressed for time this morning).

Attached Files

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 29 July 2007 - 11:45 AM.

#80 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:49 PM

The opening monologue in The Breakfast Club begins with "Saturday, March 24th. Shermer High School. Shermer, Illinois..."

In The Terminator, a freshly-arrived Kyle Reese takes down a cop and asks him for the date. The bewildered cop says "Thursday...uh...May twelfth..."

Doesn't the opening preamble in Little Shop of Horrors begin "On the 29th Day of September..." ?