Photo

Board Upgrading (what's working? what's not?)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

We're upgrading the board and re-skinning it this weekend. The forum might be down for a few hours.

Thanks.

Edited by SDG, 07 October 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Wow, this is really different. We're trying to re-skin it now. We'll see how it looks.

#3 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Also, I'm trying to get the orofile pictures back up.

#4 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

FYI, the new version of the forum software has some pretty significant differences with the old one. For example, the new version does away with member photos and avatars: now, there's just one type of photo associated with your account (though you can use a Gravatar instead of uploading a custom photo).

Also, the new version only has a rich text editor: no more plain text editor for posting contents. The plain text editor is supposedly returning in a later version due to user outcry, but I don't know when that will happen.

And yes, the Image branding, colors, etc., will be returning soon.

#5 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

"Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to"... After 1 post?

Perhaps I should explain. In the Film Journals forum, I link to IMDB pages under the "film title", and link to the appropriate A&F topic (if there is one) under "year - director". Example (this is what I tried adding this morning)...

The Princess Bride - (1987 - Rob Reiner)

Unfortunately, I made one error with one brackett, and had to try to reedit. When I resubmitted the post that's when the "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to" text box appears. It also appears when I just try to delete the addition I made this morning. Now I'm stuck with...

+http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/The Princess Bride* - (url=http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=27117&hl=%22princess+bride%22]1987 - Rob Reiner[/url]

... at the bottom of my journal that I can't get rid of.

Does this have to do with the number of external links I'm providing in my Film Journals post? Or is there a limit to posting during the board revision? (I guess I'll have that answered if this post doesn't go thru).

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 14 April 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#6 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

"Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to"... After 1 post?

Perhaps I should explain. In the Film Journals forum, I link to IMDB pages under the "film title", and link to the appropriate A&F topic (if there is one) under "year - director". Example (this is what I tried adding this morning)...

The Princess Bride - (1987 - Rob Reiner)

Unfortunately, I made one error with one brackett, and had to try to reedit. When I resubmitted the post that's when the "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to" text box appears. It also appears when I just try to delete the addition I made this morning. Now I'm stuck with...

+http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/The Princess Bride* - (url=http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=27117&hl=%22princess+bride%22]1987 - Rob Reiner[/url]

... at the bottom of my journal that I can't get rid of.

Does this have to do with the number of external links I'm providing in my Film Journals post? Or is there a limit to posting during the board revision? (I guess I'll have that answered if this post doesn't go thru).

Can you provide a link to the specific post where you encountered this problem?

Oh, and one more thing... the Image design/branding should all be in place. However, please let me know if you see any oddities, mismatched colors (basically, anything that isn't red, black, or grey), etc.

#7 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I love the new look overall. The new mobile site is a welcome addition as well. Thanks for all you do, A&F and Image team.

Edited by David Smedberg, 14 April 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#8 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Cool... I hadn't even tested the mobile site. :)

#9 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Opus, it's the 11th post in the Film Journals thread.... http://artsandfaith....44

I can't click on the specific post number and get you there directly anymore (maybe a possible glich?). I tried once more to delete the bottom entry in my journal post, but I still get the same "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to" text box when I try to submit any modifications.

I really like the new look, BTW. I like the fact that you can "mark as read" each individual forum on it's own, rather than only being able to do it for the entire board (I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit that button on the past version). I also like that once you've viewed a new post in the "New Content" page, it automatically deltes when you go back to view new content. And I really like the little "star" icon on the left of each topic that I've contributed to. Good stuff. Can't wait to explore more.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 14 April 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#10 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Oh, I hate change. I want everything to be just like it was in 1959.

But it does look good.

#11 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

I can't click on the specific post number and get you there directly anymore (maybe a possible glich?). I tried once more to delete the bottom entry in my journal post, but I still get the same "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to" text box when I try to submit any modifications.

See if this has been fixed now. I think the problem was related to the star images next to your movies.

#12 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thank you, sir. It seems to be working fine! I would also like to compliment the fact that I love how the titles that have IMDb or other links are colored different than the rest of the text in a post.

#13 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Let's give a big hand to Opus and Anna Johnson. Keep the comments and suggestions coming -- I suspect that we'll tinker a bit more with both appearance and functionality.

#14 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,916 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm sure there are a few bugs to work out, but I'm really enjoying the mobile site.

Nice work folks!

#15 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,033 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Huh ... I'm finding that when you click "Edit" for a post, type in an edit and then click "Save Changes" or even "Use Full Editor" that nothing happens. Does it work for anyone else?

#16 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Huh ... I'm finding that when you click "Edit" for a post, type in an edit and then click "Save Changes" or even "Use Full Editor" that nothing happens. Does it work for anyone else?

That sounds similar to what I was experiencing yesterday in the Film Journals thread. By any chance are you getting a pinkish/red text box appearing over your submission that reads,

"Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to"

I wasn't actually posting images, just links to IMDb and A&F threads, plus "star ratings". Opus worked that one out for me, and I've been able to work edits into my film journal.

#17 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

If/when you run into glitches, please include the browser and OS you're using as well as a description of the glitch, what you were doing when you saw the glitch, etc. That'll help with troubleshooting.

#18 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I really like the new look of the board. Thanks to everyone involved with it.

#19 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

FYI, I was able to edit a post using both of those buttons without any problems in Chrome (Mac).

The new version of the forum software uses a lot of advanced JavaScript wizardry to do functions, so for one thing, make sure that JavaScript is enabled in your browser.

#20 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Working on my Max (OS X 10.5.8), using Chrome, I'm having trouble.

In the War Horse thread, I tried to post a simple link. I highlighted the text that I wanted to turn into a link, and a grey screen appeared over the whole browser window and wouldn't let me do anything. So I backed up and started over, this time trying to type the link in HTML, and it didn't activate a link, it just left the HTML in the post.

http://artsandfaith....=40#entry269825

Any ideas why this is happening?