Maurice Sendak has passed away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,626 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Maurice Sendak didn't think of himself as a children's author, but as a writer who told the truth about childhood.

"I like interesting people and kids are really interesting people," he explained to The Associated Press last fall. "And if you didn't paint them in little blue, pink and yellow, it's even more interesting."

Story here

#2 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

The New Yorker ran a cartoon conversation between Sendak and Art Spiegelman in 1993. You can see it here. (Even if you aren't a New Yorker subscriber.)

#3 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,352 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

My two-year-old calls every book "Max." Today, I feel like that is my single greatest accomplishment as a father. If you haven't listened to Terry Gross's last interview with Sendak, well, what's wrong with you?

http://www.npr.org/2...-sendaks-latest

#4 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

My almost two year old, who happens to be named Max, loves thumbing through Where the Wild Things Are and pointing out Max on every page.

And to echo Darren: listen to the Fresh Air interviews.

#5 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Colbert's tribute includes some previously unaired (and uncensored) portions of his recent interview with Sendak.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

According to a Ron Charles tweet, Where the Wild Things Are is 50 years old today.