Photo

Who is your Favourite Film Jesus

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is your favourite film Jesus? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is your favourite film Jesus?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,025 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

MattPage, I have seen clips of The Living Bible in other films, too, like The God Who Wasn't There -- the director told me it was possible to find this footage at archive.org, though I haven't found it yet, but I did find it for sale as a five-disc DVD set at Amazon.

Michael Todd wrote:
: Also, what about Phil Hartman? He played a wonderful Jesus in an SNL skit, where he
: attempts to get this fervent housewife to stop praying to him for every menial thing.

The fervent housewife was played by Sally Field, IIRC, right?

Don't forget the one where Jerry Seinfeld played Elijah, crashing a Jewish family's Passover seder -- at the end, one member of the family says, "You can't be Elijah! Because when Elijah comes, it means the Messiah is near!" Then the doorbell rings, Elijah goes to answer it, and there's Phil Hartman as Jesus -- and the two hug and slap each other's backs ("Hey, how ya doin'!").

I don't know which religion ought to be more offended by that one. smile.gif

#42 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,401 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:09 PM

I'm rather fond of the Jesus in Bad Lieutenant, but he hasn't been included in this poll.

#43 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:14 AM

Peter - thanks for the heads up. It will have to wait until Christmas.

Jeffrey - Ah I've not seen it - would I be right in thinking that it's more of a cameo though?

And is it a must see for me

(BTW Love the new avatar)

Matt

#44 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:41 AM

FWIW I note that this thread has now been blogged both by Mark Goodacre's NT Gateway blog and Codex: Blogspot, with a few interesting comments on both. (Including my misspelling of Caviezel blushing.gif )

Welcome to anyone who has found this forum from either of those places.

Matt

#45 Denny Wayman

Denny Wayman

• 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

I wonder if this is kind of like - What music do you like best - and it is usually the music we heard when we hit puberty!

I loved Jesus Christ Superstar and was impacted by it as a student

Denny

#46 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Aug 15 2005, 10:56 AM)
Don't forget the one where Jerry Seinfeld played Elijah, crashing a Jewish family's Passover seder -- at the end, one member of the family says, "You can't be Elijah!  Because when Elijah comes, it means the Messiah is near!"  Then the doorbell rings, Elijah goes to answer it, and there's Phil Hartman as Jesus -- and the two hug and slap each other's backs ("Hey, how ya doin'!").

Peter, I have not seen that skit, but it sounds hilarious.

#47 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,401 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

Yes, Jesus has a cameo in Bad Lieutenant... but it is a CRUCIAL cameo, and I remember him as vividly as anything in the film.

No, it's not a must-see. It's only for folks willing to brave portrayals of truly reprehensible behavior.

But it is, in my opinion, Harvey Keitel's finest performance.

#48 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up

Matt

#49 Sara

Sara

• 195 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:58 PM

I can't vote for any of them. I actually don't like seeing anyone on film portraying Jesus or for that matter, I don't even like films about Jesus.

Sorry. I'd rather just think of Jesus in my own head and heart. - and wonder what really happened.

Sara

#50 Denny Wayman

Denny Wayman

• 807 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

It is interesting that in BEN HUR we never actually see the face of Jesus. It has both effects - leaves Him to our imagination and/or makes Him seem not quite incarnated.

Denny

#51 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:53 AM

Sara,

If you know enough about Jesus film to know you don't like them then that implies you have watched at least one, in which case surely that portrayal a/effects how you see him in your head & your heart?

Matt

#52 Sara

Sara

• 195 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(MattPage @ Oct 21 2005, 04:53 AM)
Sara,

If you know enough about Jesus film to know you don't like them then that implies you have watched at least one, in which case surely that portrayal a/effects how you see him in your head & your heart?

Matt

View Post

Matt, I don't like "picturing" Jesus in my head.

I've seen Mel Gibson's Passion, and Pasolini's Gospel ATSM - and other films through the years.

I have also since childhood seen pictures of Jesus in books, usually praying and looking rather saintly and too "good" to be a full embodiment of humanity - and too Anglo Saxon to be divine. smile.gif

Some of the stained glass windows do a good job, for me. (Jesus knocking on the hearts door, for one.)

But in a way, I prefer the medieval stained glass windows that depict Jesus - he seems more mystical and mythological.

Sara

#53 Sara

Sara

• 195 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Sara @ Oct 21 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE(MattPage @ Oct 21 2005, 04:53 AM)
Sara,

Matt

View Post

Matt, I don't like "picturing" Jesus in my head.

I've seen Mel Gibson's Passion, and Pasolini's Gospel ATSM - and other films through the years.

I have also since childhood seen pictures of Jesus in books, usually praying and looking rather saintly and too "good" to be a full embodiment of humanity - and too Anglo Saxon to be divine. smile.gif

Some of the stained glass windows do a good job, for me. (Jesus knocking on the hearts door, for one.)

But in a way, I prefer the medieval stained glass windows that depict Jesus - he seems more mystical and mythological.

Sara

View Post

I have found one picture of Jesus I can relate to. It is the "Head of Christ" by Rembrandt. It is on the cover of a book I love, Bishop (John Shelby) Spong's "This Hebrew Lord."

Sara

#54 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE(mike_h @ Sep 2 2004, 02:01 PM) View Post

I don't know if anybody's ever posted this link on the board or not, but for the sake of completeness, I think these "Jesus videos" from vintage21.com need to be included in this discussion. (Scroll down to bottom of page. There's four.) monalisa.gif

MLeary pointed out to me the updated link for the above

http://www.vintage21...susvideos.html

Matt

#55 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think this is part if the reason that I've struggled to vote on a poll that I started. I think when you first watch a Jesus film then there is a danger that that face becomes Jesus for you.

A good friend of mine likes to refer to Christian Bale as the "sexiest--Jesus--ever."

This entire discussion reminds me of this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aML1iqSPxfI

#56 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Bale -- looks really, really bad

#57 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:36 AM

Yeh it is. I thought I might re-watch just the parts with Bale in it recently and could only cope with about 15-20 minutes before I turned it off. Comments here.

Matt

#58 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Huffington Post just posted a Top Big Screen Jesus Bracket Challenge.

#59 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,699 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Huffington Post just posted a Top Big Screen Jesus Bracket Challenge.

Looks like JC Superstar vs. Life of Brian in the finals.

#60 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,025 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Darrel Manson wrote:
: Looks like JC Superstar vs. Life of Brian in the finals.

Urk. If this is a "Jesus film" contest, then my vote easily goes to Life of Brian. But if this is a "Jesus *in* film" contest, then, um, well, he's barely there at all in Life of Brian, whereas I've never cared much for the characterization of him in Jesus Christ Superstar...