Photo

Who is your Favourite Film Jesus

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is your favourite film Jesus? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is your favourite film Jesus?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:53 AM

Well the discussion started on the Gospel of John thread as to who was everyone's favourite Jesus, and in Chattaway's and Alan's absence I thought I had better step into the breach. So here's the list.

A few notes.

1 - Its who is your favourtie Jesus, so its not about the film itself but how the actor portrays Jesus
2 - I have therefore missed off a number of films such as The Robe which don't really feature Jesus in any depth, perhpa just a distance shot or a voice over
3 - Before anyone says it, yes that is why Life of Brian isn't on the list
4 - I've tried to be as comprehensive as I can, but I may have missed a few. Feel free to list them (bearing in mind 2 & 3 above). I'd be interested to know of any I've missed, and if people have seen them, even if its not a contender for Best Screen Jesus.

Matt

PS I also came across a film called "Messiah in the Passover" which sounded both interesting and terrible. Interesting cos it appears to be trying to put Jesus in a vbery Jewish context, terrible cos it stars Nick Manusco, who's got some terrible Christian films to his name, but doesn't even have this listed on IMDB.

#2 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:00 PM

Another interesting thread might be "What is your Favourite Film, Jesus?" I wonder if He'd post a reply? Rumour is, He's a lurker on our list...

#3 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

Obviously, Pleasantville.

(ducks)

#4 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:42 AM

Pants,

Realised last night that I'd missed one. Glen Carter in Jesus Christ Superstar 2000. But obvioulsy I left that out on purpose cos its more of a filmed play on a stage than a film (even more so than "Son of Man" which I put in dry.gif )

Fortunately I think its unlikely that many people will lwant to vote for Glen , unless they think that Jesus really was a pouting saviour. huh.gif

I've not actually voted yet, but may have to back Cavaziel to prevent Powell from winning. Its between him, Cusick or Blakeny (Son of Man) and maybe Pier what'shisface from Il Messia

And wow, someone voted for Jeffrey Hunter? I hav a soft spot for the film, but didn't expect anyone to vote for it.

Matt

#5 BaptistJon

BaptistJon

• 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

What about another thread on people who've played God?

#6 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,063 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (BaptistJon @ Jul 1 2004, 12:53 PM)

I vote for Don Knotts!

#7 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,861 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

You missed one more. That pool maintenance guy in _Saved!_. wink.gif

Nick

#8 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (SDG @ Jul 1 2004, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (BaptistJon @ Jul 1 2004, 12:53 PM)

I vote for Don Knotts!

I second that emotion...

#9 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,263 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (BaptistJon @ Jul 1 2004, 08:53 AM)

In their real life, or strictly in the movies? Would all directors count?

#10 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (MattPage @ Jun 30 2004, 07:52 AM)
A few notes.

1 - Its who is your favourtie Jesus, so its not about the film itself but how the actor portrays Jesus

I realize you are asking about the portrayal of Jesus and not about the film but isn't the actors portrayal dependent on direction and script? I guess I don't see them to necessarily be mutually exclusive.

#11 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:41 AM

Well I did think about adding to the end of that original statement words to the effect of "as also determined by the director and the script", but I thought people would probably take it that way anyway. Sorry if I was ambiguous!

Matt

#12 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Ron @ Jul 1 2004, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (BaptistJon @ Jul 1 2004, 08:53 AM)

In their real life, or strictly in the movies? Would all directors count?

Hee!

Yay! A poll in which my name would be a possible response!

#13 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

Hey,

Baptist Jon, SDG, crimsononline and Ron,

Get your own thread! mad.gif

wink.gif

Matt

#14 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:50 AM

Wow someone voted for Victor Garber as well. Its interesting that people vote for Jesuses I'd have never thought would be in with a shot. Maybe I am denying Glen his opportunity to be recognised?

user posted image

Matt

PS - On the DVd for this version of Jesus Christ Superstar the director / producer of the sage show said the classic / unintentionally hilarious line, "The great thing about Glen is that he looks like Jesus" unsure.gif

#15 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (MattPage @ Jul 5 2004, 03:49 AM)

user posted image

Matt

PS - On the DVd for this version of Jesus Christ Superstar the director / producer of the sage show said the classic / unintentionally hilarious line, "The great thing about Glen is that he looks like Jesus"  unsure.gif

I was thinking he looks more like Robert Downey Jr. than Jesus.

#16 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:58 AM

Colin Blakeny, Son of Man. The Beefy Jesus.

"It is me it is me it is me it is me" etc.

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,830 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:18 AM

Y'know, I don't think I ever could have predicted that I would vote this way, but as I went down the list of options, I found myself gravitating towards Max von Sydow. I think Pasolini's film is probably the best FILM based on the gospels to date, but I am not particularly drawn to the performance by that particular ACTOR. And as overly pious and plodding as George Stevens's film might be, and as much as I might not like the hair and make-up job given to this particular Jesus, I do think Max von Sydow does a masterful job of portraying a Jesus who is in touch with his emotions, fairly rugged, somewhat otherworldly, full of authority, and on and on and on. He doesn't go overboard with his mystical serenity the way Robert Powell does, and he doesn't seem way out of his depth the way Jeffrey Hunter does, etc. James Caviezel was another interesting possibility, but we don't really see him do anything but suffer, suffer, suffer; the glimpses of him BEFORE his arrest don't give us much to go by.

#18 rathmadder

rathmadder

Linguistic Barthian Thinker

• 146 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:15 AM

Max Von Sydow, even though it's not the best movie. I have a soft spot for King of Kings too, as one of those classic fifties epics it works very well.

#19 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,830 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

rathmadder wrote:
: I have a soft spot for King of Kings too, as one of those classic fifties epics it
: works very well.

Except it was made in the '60s. smile.gif

Which, indeed, is one of the reasons why it didn't do all that well at the box office -- it was a bit too late to cash in on the Bible-movie trend at its peak.

Alan Thomas wrote:
: If you're going to go for von Sydow, why not Powell?

I thought I explained that above: "I do think Max von Sydow does a masterful job of portraying a Jesus who is in touch with his emotions, fairly rugged, somewhat otherworldly, full of authority, and on and on and on. He doesn't go overboard with his mystical serenity the way Robert Powell does..."

His "Thank you!" scene alone moves him a notch above Powell, in my books.

#20 rjkolb

rjkolb

• 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:03 AM

ohmy.gif