Bollywood

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,995 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hey, does anyone know of anything Bollywood getting any kind of U.S. theatrical release in the next few months? I'm looking to do a piece on Bollywood and looking for a timeliness hook to hang it on.

#42 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

My Name is Khan just crushed US box-office records (for a Bollywood import, that is) last month. It's not playing in Seattle anymore, unfortunately, and I think you may have just missed the window elsewhere as well. Kites, edited for the U.S. by Brett Ratner (does that even count?) comes out in May.

#43 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,995 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

My Name is Khan just crushed US box-office records (for a Bollywood import, that is) last month. It's not playing in Seattle anymore, unfortunately, and I think you may have just missed the window elsewhere as well. Kites, edited for the U.S. by Brett Ratner (does that even count?) comes out in May.

Thanks, Anna! Much appreciated.

Believe it or not, even May would exclude one publication I'm thinking about pitching the piece to ... Does anyone know of anything in the June - August range?

Otherwise I'll pitch it elsewhere...

#44 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

A former student just tipped me off to a source for Indian films old and new: Indiaclub.com
The interface seems modeled on early amazon.com, and the site also offers books, food, and more. Given the current state of my finances, I probably won't be spending much time there, but if you absolutely, positively have to own the shooting scripts for the Apu trilogy, this is the place.

#45 BethR

BethR

• 2,853 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

My Name is Khan just crushed US box-office records (for a Bollywood import, that is) last month. ...

I got about halfway through My Name Is Khan on DVD this morning before duty called, starting with most of the special features. So far, I'm liking it, and would recommend it to anyone who's avoiding "Bollywood" because they don't like the "musical" aspects. It's definitely a melodrama with a message, though.

#46 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,650 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Joint Hollywood-Bollywood film council

#47 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,650 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I guess "Aishwarya Rai" in <i>Bride and Prejudice</i>, is the answer to the "When will a Bollywood star cross over?"

Perhaps Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) is the answer to when a Bollywood film will cross over. No song and dance at all. It has some of the Bollywood theme of love across status lines, but doesn't buy into the love conquers all. In many ways it is more like a Western film (and I'm not referring to genre). It still, I think, carries some of the flavor of the culture.

Peepli (Live) also didn't have the song and dance, but had a bit more of the light-heartedness I associate with Bollywood.

#48 BethR

BethR

• 2,853 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Article in current issue of Utne Reader on Bollywood's cultural impact on Islamic fundamentalism: "Bollywood's Soft Power: India's Hugely Popular Films Wage a Cultural War on Extremism"

Just as the Beatles and rock ’n’ roll helped bring down the Kremlin, Bollywood might yet prove to be the undoing of the most noxious brand of Islamic fundamentalism.

The Middle East is Bollywood’s third-largest overseas market and growing so rapidly that many Bollywood movies now hold premiers in Dubai on opening night. Dubai is even erecting a Universal Studios–like Bollywood theme park. But the Muslim country most in the grip of Bollywood mania is Pakistan, India’s cultural twin in every respect but religion. As with the Beatles under communism, the more aggressively Pakistani authorities have tried to purge Bollywood from their soil, the more its popularity has grown.
Read more: http://www.utne.com/...x#ixzz1mmh1nQch

The writer goes on to discuss common Bollywood themes of religious reconciliation & confirming traditional family values, and notes that the big three male Bollywood stars are all moderate Muslims (e.g., Shahrukh Khan), as is one of the most successful music writers, A.R. Rahman, a Sufi.