Scriptwriters

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,733 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, David. The story is about a young immigrant who returns to her native Albania to find and save her missing brother, who's caught in a bloodfeud.

#62 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Just sent in my script to my first contest (scriptapalooza, which seems to have a good reputation). I think I'm on draft four or so, but it feels done. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

I can't wait until I get to the point where you're at with my own screenplay. But congrats. Hope you do well in the contest!

#63 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,733 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Ryan, keep at it! I'm looking forward to hearing about it--(or them, since you have so many cooking)!

#64 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,733 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Cool. Austin and Sundance deadlines are May 1; Zoetrope is August 1; the Nicholl Fellowship hasn't posted theirs yet.

So now you have some motivational deadlines.

#65 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

I really want to submit to Zoetrope.

#66 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Awesome quote from Robert Towne:

"A movie is really only four or five moments between two people; the rest of it exists to give those moments their impact and resonance."

#67 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,641 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Awesome quote from Robert Towne:

"A movie is really only four or five moments between two people; the rest of it exists to give those moments their impact and resonance."

I can see this. Off the top of my head from Towne's own Chinatown...

1. "I don't get tough with anyone, Mr. Gittes. My lawyer does." - The real Evelyn Mulwray introduces herself to an understandably confused Jake Gittes.

2. "But, Mrs. Mulwray, I goddamn near lost my nose. And I like it. I like breathing through it. And I still think you're hiding something." - Gittes is hired by Mulwray to investigate who has a motive for setting up her husband.

3. "You... you've seen my father?" - Gittes informs Mulwray that he has been talking to her father, in what becomes a very awkward post-coital scene.

4. "She's my _____. (slap) She's my ______. (slap) She's my _____. (slap)" - Family secrets.

5. "Evelyn, put that gun away. Let the police handle this." - In Chinatown.

#68 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,733 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

So almost three and a half years later, I just finished up my initial scene by scene outline for my next script.  My goal is to have Draft 1 done by St. Patrick's Day.  Yay!  Then I'll have two and a quarter (the 1/4 being a defunct comedic short).

Anyone else got anything cooking?

#69 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm still tinkering away on a few screenplay projects. I wrapped up my pet project of the past few years, a riff on 1960s spymania, and have turned my attention to a nasty neo-noir.

#70 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,733 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Sounds intriguing...any plans to submit to a contest or market them?