Blue in Green – NYC/LA SCREENINGS on APRIL 6 & 13

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:04 PM

ABOUT BLUE IN GREEN
Using the human face as its landscape, this dogme-esque exploration of desire takes place over the course of one night, and was crafted by 'UNICA', a filmmaking collaborative that shares a group credit. Born out of a deep collaboration between the filmmakers and the highly gifted cast, this unscripted and entirely improvised story culminates in a simple and unforgettable moment of truth and beauty.

user posted imageuser posted image

NYC Screening
Wednesday, April 6th, 8:00 PM
NewFilmmakers at Anthology Film Archives
32 Second Avenue / New York, NY 10009 / (212) 505-5110

LA Screening
Wednesday, April 13th, 8:00 PM
2005 International Beverly Hills Film Festival
Clarity Theatre / 100 N. Crescent Dr. / (310) 779-1206

go to www.blue-in-green.com for further details

“...the most important production in independent film...this year.”
– Kevin Thomas, THE LOS ANGELES TIMES

“...compelling...don't miss this...”
– Ron Stringer, LA WEEKLY

“...innovative, unforgettable...”
– Gregory Wolfe, IMAGE JOURNAL

user posted image

STORY
On the night of her 35th birthday, Colleen throws a party to introduce her closest friends to Dan, the man she is certain is the love of her life. None of them have met Dan, and everybody eagerly anticipates his arrival. However, Dan's conspicous absence begins to have an unexpected effect on the party, as truths unfold.

THEME
Blue in Green examines suffering caused by desire, and reveals for Colleen over the course of one night’s event, a path to confronting the truth of her essential incompleteness.

user posted image
click here to view the trailer

Please visit the website for more information and full reviews: www.blue-in-green.com

8pm, Wednesday, April 6th
The Anthology Film Archives
32 2nd Avenue @ 2nd Street
(212) 505-5181
$5 admission

8pm, Wednesday, April 13th
Beverly Hills Film Festival
The Clarity Theatre
100 N. Crescent Dr.
(310) 779-1206
tickets available online

user posted image

Edited by cygnet74, 01 April 2005 - 06:47 PM.

#2 Theseus33

Theseus33

• New User
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:36 PM

How have the screenings been going?
Any chance you might make it out to New York anytime soon?

#3 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Theseus33 @ Sep 14 2004, 09:35 PM)
How have the screenings been going?
Any chance you might make it out to New York anytime soon?

thanks for asking. i'll keep the first page updated with screenings as they are known. nothing in new york as of yet. we are screening in Rome near the end of November and Los Angeles at the American Cinematheque in mid-December.

#4 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,637 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:39 PM

Let's get to the important stuff: can you get us passes?

#5 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:35 PM

the website has been updated with a trailer. www.blue-in-green.com

Edited by cygnet74, 30 November 2004 - 04:36 PM.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,057 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

I had the privilege of seeing this film over the weekend, and was both moved and impressed. Brilliant improvisational work from a large cast of talented actors. Effective cinematography. It's more powerful in all the things the characters don't say than it is in what they do.

Imagine Closer or We Don't Live Here Anymore, but with a lot more hope for redemption, and with characters that have a stronger sense of conscience. It still amounts to 90 minutes of flawed characters mistreating each other, but you care about these characters, and you can sense God reaching out to them through light, through color, through quiet, through each other.

But more than those two films, it reminds me of The Anniversary Party, with Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Kevin Kline, which made the rounds a few years ago. It's similar in structure, tone, and subject matter, but I think this is a better film. It's more subtle, more communicative through imagery, and more hopeful.

There's a Dogme feel to the film, even though it has a improvisational "smooth jazz" soundtrack that runs through almost the entire film (the only real drawback to the production, in my opinion). At times, it's discomforting to feel so close to voyeurism as we listen in on private conversations. That speaks to the power of the actors' work.

The film ends on an admirably restrained note, all loose ends and questions, but that makes it stand out as one of the most thoroughly discuss-able movies of the year. I hope this finds a larger audience soon, because I'd love to hear what you all think.

#7 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:25 AM

If you could possibly make it to Washington D.C., I would be extremely thrilled. From the trailer, it looks like a fantastic movie.

#8 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(GreetingsEarthling @ Mar 3 2005, 03:25 AM)
If you could possibly make it to Washington D.C., I would be extremely thrilled. From the trailer, it looks like a fantastic movie.

View Post

I'll let you know. he closest we'll be to you at this poinjt is New York City on April 6th. more info is available at the web site.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,057 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:11 PM

Attention, New Yorkers! I know you've heard here already that the film's going to show there soon, but let me re-iterate... SEE THIS MOVIE!!! It'd be great to get some discussion going over this film and the potential for this project and this filmmaking group. Blue in Green is an impressive, brave experiment, and I'm still thinking about it months after seeing it.

#10 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:10 AM

thank you, jeffrey for the kind words. biggrin.gif

#11 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,250 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

I note that there's a showing in Seattle soon, sponsored by IMAGE Journal;

Blue in Green Film Screening with Ron Austin
November 26, 2007, 7:00 p.m., Seattle Pacific University Library Seminar Room

Join Image for an evening with renowned film writer and producer Ron Austin on Monday, November 26 at 7:00 p.m., in the Library Seminar Room at Seattle Pacific University. The evening will feature a screening of the film Blue in Green, created by the Unica collective Austin helped to found, followed by a question-and-answer session. Blue in Green is a funny, accessible, real, and moving exploration of desire and its subtle but devastating effects on our lives. Ron Austin was born in 1934, and was raised in Hollywood. At age 12 he became a child actor, initially working under the direction of Charlie Chaplin and noted teacher Viola Spolin. A graduate of the UCLA film school in 1956, he is a veteran writer and producer in the Hollywood industry, with over a hundred credits in film and television. He is also a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and has won two lifetime achievement awards from the Writers Guild of America for his service to writers and the Hollywood community. Over the years, Austin has written episodes of Mission Impossible, produced powerful documentaries on the war in Sudan, and spoken before Vatican officials at large international events. Through all the hubbub, he has preserved a spiritual equanimity that conveys profound thought, openness and curiosity, and a grounding in the timeless. Most recently, he published In a New Light: Spirituality and the Media Arts, chock full of wisdom for budding filmmakers (and film-watchers) interested in linking the cinema with faith.

For more information contact Julie Mullins at (206) 281-2988.

P.S. I want to see the film in any case, and wonder how to manage that, but the title has me intrigued - my current favourite track off my all-time favourite album, "Kind Of Blue" - though Jeffrey's reference to a "smooth jazz" soundtrack has me nervous - I'm thinking Grover Washington?

#12 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman

• 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

ron i'm going to get you a screening copy ASAP. the music was performed by The Tierney Sutton Band.

QUOTE (Ron @ Nov 3 2007, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. I want to see the film in any case, and wonder how to manage that, but the title has me intrigued - my current favourite track off my all-time favourite album, "Kind Of Blue" - though Jeffrey's reference to a "smooth jazz" soundtrack has me nervous - I'm thinking Grover Washington?