5 replies to this topic

#1 (unregistered)

(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:55 PM

--content deleted--

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:01 AM

Alan Thomas, I love the way you've listed these films -- by length, nationality, etc. -- but I have to say this particular list does pose some difficulties. For example, I think it is misleading to put all of the Three Colours films under "Poland" simply because the director was Polish; since the films were produced by the French and Swiss as well, and since each film takes place mostly in one of those three countries, we could share that trilogy among the three countries. Likewise, it seems odd to put Breaking the Waves under "Denmark" when practically the entire thing takes place in Scotland. And I would really, really question whether The Lord of the Rings is primarily an American production, given that it was filmed in New Zealand under a Kiwi director from a script by a trio of Kiwis, and given that it features so many British and Australian actors, and given that the music (practically a character unto itself) was composed by a Canadian, etc., etc., etc.; yeah, sure, a lot of the money for this film came from the States, as did a handful of actors, but that ain't enough. I say do what the VIFF does, which is to list each film under every country that co-produced it.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 09 September 2004 - 01:04 AM.

#3 mike_h

mike_h

Flickerer

• 331 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, can't we just categorize these things either "American" or "Foreign"? cool.gif

#4 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (mike_h @ Sep 9 2004, 08:09 AM)
Yeah, can't we just categorize these things either "American" or "Foreign"? cool.gif

Or better yet, "fern"

#5 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:45 AM

Can we see a list categorized by height of the director? (in the metric system of course) smile.gif

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:07 PM

Alan Thomas wrote:
: Or are you suggesting I use *every* country listed on the IMDB pages, and
: therefore have entries for films under multiple countries?

Yes.

: Hey, maybe I'll make a list by box-office gross? Or would you like to do that?

Ooooh, tempting. Two problems, though. First, I suspect quite a few of these films did not register with most of the accessible box-office analysts (not least because a few of them were produced for TV!). Second, because we are listing films from across the entire past century of cinema, more or less, there is the question of whether we would take inflation into account, and if so, how. (Plus, I think the grosses for a lot of the films released before 1980 weren't even made public -- the attention to grosses, as exemplified by the weekly-box-office-report thing, really only came into being with the rise of 1970s-style blockbusters, I think, but I could be wrong about that.)