103 replies to this topic

#1 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

OK, OK. Deep breath.

Paris Hilton Latest: 'Gatsby' Remake

QUOTE Maybe F. Scott Fitzgerald is rolling in his grave. Then again, maybe not.

All I know is, entrepreneurial 'N Sync singer Lance Bass is getting ready to produce a big-screen take on "The Great Gatsby" with Paris Hilton as an updated Daisy Buchanan.

Maybe someone will ask Paris tonight at her, uh, book party if she's even read "The Great Gatsby." Perhaps Merle Ginsberg, the ghostwriter of "Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose," will read it to her tonight at Lot 61.

Anyway, if Bass and his partners get their way, the Jay Gatsby character will be played by Chris Carmack, the third lead young man on Fox's TV series "The O.C."

Jamie-Lynn DiScala, of "The Sopranos," will play Tom Buchanan's love interest � made famous in the 1974 film version by Karen Black and in 1949 by Shelley Winters.

So to review: That's Paris doing Mia Farrow, who in turn did Betty Field, and a guy from "The O.C." as Robert Redford, previously incarnated by Alan Ladd.

No word on who will play the story's conscience, Nick Carraway, who was brought to the screen in 1974 by Sam Waterston. I'm thinking Freddie Prinze, Jr., but no one asked me.

All kidding aside, Lance continues to be a tireless presence who will not rest on the 'N Sync laurels. He's just produced another film, "Lovewrecked," directed by Randal Kleiser and also starring Jamie-Lynn and Carmack alongside Amanda Bynes.

Tonight he'll attend bandmate Joey Fatone's wedding somewhere in New York along with Justin, Nick, J.C. and the other one. But don't look for any new music for a long time.

"It all depends on whether Justin wants to do it, and he doesn't," Lance told me recently about Timberlake. "He doesn't even want to make his own new solo album. He just wants to make movies."

By the way, here's a title for the Gatsby update: "Jay G." I'm not kidding.

#2 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:46 PM

blink.gif

Maybe it's time to start building that underground bunker in the backyard.

#3 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:51 PM

SHOCKED.gif

The Mia Farrow-Robert Redford version was bad enough. I might have to burn my beloved edition of the novel if Paris Hilton gets her paws on Daisy Buchanan.

Has anyone seen the A&E version, starring Mira Sorvino and Paul Rudd? Wasn't bad, except the guy who played Gatsby (can't recall his name, but he's Maggie Smith's son) was woefully inept ... he came off with a high schooler's interpretation of the role. Sorvino was pretty good, though, and Rudd was excellent as Nick Carraway.

#4 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:31 PM

Well, that clears things up!

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,800 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Carey Mulligan will play Daisy Buchanan for Baz Luhrmann in The Great Gatsby.

Also starring DiCaprio as Gatsby, and Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway.

I thought about starting a new thread, but why do that when this great thread could be resurrected?

Edited by Overstreet, 16 November 2010 - 02:39 AM.

#6 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

Why is DiCaprio Hollywood's go-to dramatic leading man? He's good enough, but he's not that good.

Luhrmann strikes me as a very bad choice for this film.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Well, DiCaprio and Luhrman have a history, going back to Romeo + Juliet. So this would mark a reunion of sorts.

#8 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

This actually sounds comforting to me, knowing that the Luhrmann/DiCaprio combo is bound to produce a lavish translation of the book. One look at the paperback cover we are all most familiar with screams Lurhmann, so I am happy to see his stylized take on the whole affair.

Gatsby is a work with a great many facets, the intense visual bombast of Luhrmann being one of them. I won't be expecting a Whit Stillman muse on Fitzgerald's lifelong concerns here, and that is okay. Gatsby is a vast text that contains enough room for different visions.

#9 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

Well, DiCaprio and Luhrman have a history, going back to Romeo + Juliet. So this would mark a reunion of sorts.

Yeah, but given how much I despise ROMEO + JULIET, that doesn't exactly make me happy. :P

One look at the paperback cover we are all most familiar with screams Lurhmann, so I am happy to see his stylized take on the whole affair.

Fair point.

But (I'm going off memory here, since it's been many, many years since I read THE GREAT GATSBY) I don't recall the story being one overflowing with spectacle. Perhaps the potential is there, but I seem to recall THE GREAT GATSBY being a generally melancholy, quiet tale abundant in humanity. Frankly, I've never found Luhrmann's films to offer much in the way of emotional depth.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 November 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#10 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,212 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, but given how much I despise ROMEO + JULIET, that doesn't exactly make me happy. :P

One look at the paperback cover we are all most familiar with screams Lurhmann, so I am happy to see his stylized take on the whole affair.

Fair point.

But (I'm going off memory here, since it's been many, many years since I read THE GREAT GATSBY) I don't recall the story being one overflowing with spectacle. Perhaps the potential is there, but I seem to recall THE GREAT GATSBY being a generally melancholy, quiet tale abundant in humanity. Frankly, I've never found Luhrmann's films to offer much in the way of emotional depth.

Gatsby's parties are nothing if not spectacle.

#11 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

Gatsby's parties are nothing if not spectacle.

Naturally. But, according to my perhaps very faulty memory, the novel didn't especially emphasize spectacle, choosing instead to dwell on the characters and their interactions.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 November 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#12 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 701 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

After Australia, I pie-crust promised I'd never sit through another Luhrmann film. But the novel is certainly durable enough to withstand his excesses (I think).

I wonder if this will rekindle interest in the 1974 version of Gatsby, which, while not entirely successful, is shamefully underrated. Having one of Britain's greatest directors behind the camera always helps.

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,874 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

Ross Douthat defends the concept of a Baz Luhrman adaptation of this novel, and quotes a passage from the book to make his point.

#14 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,232 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

Alright, I'm gradually coming around on this one.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,874 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

Warner Bros Nearing Deal To Acquire Baz Luhrmann's 'The Great Gatsby'
EXCLUSIVE: While James Bond has gotten the lion's share of attention from studios this week, Jay Gatsby has also been making a stir around town. I'm told Warner Bros has emerged as the clear frontrunner to finance and take worldwide distribution on The Great Gatsby, the Baz Luhrmann-directed adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary classic.
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 9

#16 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

GATSBY gets a green light. Oh, and it's going to be in 3-D.

#17 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

The video game tie-in has already been created.

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

#18 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,800 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Ben Affleck sure looks ready to reboot his career as an actor. With a Malick film under his belt, he's now likely to land a significant role in Gatsby.

#19 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have to say, if Hollywood has to make The Great Gatsby again, I've got no complaints with that cast. Now I'm curious who they'll find for Jordan.

#20 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,874 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Isla Fisher "will play Myrtle, a married woman having an affair with Buchanan."