79 replies to this topic

#41 Christian

Christian

• 10,890 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Everybody loves New Zealand.

#42 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I think Overstreet is about to explode with anticipatory delight.

- - -

Scorsese, King talking up 'Silence'
Martin Scorsese is determined to make "Silence" his next movie. The helmer and Graham King's GK Films are negotiating with Oscar winners Daniel Day-Lewis and Benicio Del Toro to star. Gael Garcia Bernal is also circling the film, expected to begin production later this year in New Zealand.
Variety, February 1

#43 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,278 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Attached File  jeff_euphoria.jpg   22.42KB   21 downloads

Edited by Overstreet, 02 February 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#44 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

Wells...

#45 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

Glenn Kenny looks at the original film here and especially here, with several screen-caps.

#46 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

I hope this is true.

What is 100% locked in for Scorsese’s post-”Hugo Cabret” feature? According to Scorsese’s PR, none other than”Silence,” the long-gestating adaptation of Shusaku Endo‘s a drama about two 17th century Jesuit priests who face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and to spread the gospel of Christianity. A Scorsese passion project that’s been percolating since early 2009 is set to star Daniel Day-Lewis, Benicio Del Toro and Gael Garcia Bernal. Start dates are totally unknown and likely won’t come into focus until ‘Cabret’ is complete.

The script was adapted by Jay Cocks who also penned “The Age of Innocence” and the original version of “The Gangs of New York” which he started working on in 1976 (Steven Zaillian and Kenneth Lonergan also had screenwriting credits on the picture by the time in hit the screen in 2002 with Zaillian doing the lions share of the rewriting and retooling). Cocks also did an uncredited rewrite of James Cameron‘s screenplay for “Titanic.”

Last year a legal battle was brewing over “Silence,” but that appears to have been resolved.

This project has been bumped farther and farther out so many times, I think it's only appropriate that U2 be asked to do the soundtrack.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 February 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#47 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,500 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

Jay Cocks, eh? Not too happy about that selection.

Part of me wishes he would get back together with Paul Schrader for this film. Not that Schrader has been in particularly fine form as of late, but he and Scorsese make a good pair (there's a case to be made that their last film, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD, is better than any of the following features), and it's possible that their synergy combined with this subject matter could bring about strong results.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 February 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#48 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 362 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

My favorite book ever. I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as we get it eventually.

#49 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

My favorite book ever. I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as we get it eventually.

Hey, mine too!

it's only appropriate that U2 be asked to do the soundtrack.

Sure they're a great band, but are you sure you want anyone associated with the Spiderman Musical attached to a project that's already had this much production trouble?

#50 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

A good reminder to rewatch Masahiro Shinoda's 1971 film version again - when I first saw it a few years ago, I remember being quite impressed with it. From the handful of Scorsese films I've watched over the years, I find him interesting but uneven, so I'm warily curious and a bit hopeful.

#51 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

A good reminder to rewatch Masahiro Shinoda's 1971 film version again - when I first saw it a few years ago, I remember being quite impressed with it. From the handful of Scorsese films I've watched over the years, I find him interesting but uneven, so I'm warily curious and a bit hopeful.

Do you have the region 2 DVD? I haven't found a US DVD anywhere.

#52 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Do you have the region 2 DVD? I haven't found a US DVD anywhere.

Yep, it's the Masters of Cinema edition, with a very good intro by a former participant here, Doug C. To judge by a recent Film Comment article, Shinoda's directing career has been rather hit or miss, but I found Silence and Double Suicide to be powerful successes. Honestly, Double Suicide made a deeper impression on me, even though Endo's writing fascinates me (and IIRC, he cowrote the screenplay for Shinoda's film).

#53 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Sure they're a great band, but are you sure you want anyone associated with the Spiderman Musical attached to a project that's already had this much production trouble?

I was being sarcastic. I think it would be a terrible idea.

This chapter of U2's career is a low point, in my opinion. They need to rediscover how to be a rock band, stop dreaming up collaborations that will give them illusions of chart-topping hits, and take a break from all of the extracurricular activity. Or they need to go on hiatus for a couple of years, and stop coasting on fumes, assuming that "God will walk through the room" when they all turn on their instruments.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 February 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#54 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 362 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hey, mine too!

Where's the "like" button on this dern forum?!

Have you read A Life of Jesus? Or Final Martyrs? Or Deep River? Or anything else? ;)

#55 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

Hey, mine too!

Where's the "like" button on this dern forum?!

Have you read A Life of Jesus? Or Final Martyrs? Or Deep River? Or anything else? ;)

I've read The Sea and Poison, The Samurai, Scandal, and I've started Life of Jesus a few times, but never finished it.

And while we're on the subject, Philip Yancey wrote about Endo and Silence here.

Edited by Tyler, 17 February 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#56 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 519 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:15 AM

And while we're on the subject, Philip Yancey wrote about Endo and Silence here.

It was Yancey's chapter on Endo in his book Soul Survivor that drove me to read Silence itself. It's such a beautiful companion piece.

#57 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

In spite of his connection to The Snowman, Scorsese is saying Silence is probably his next movie:

I’m hoping to do Endo’s book next, Silence… Not hoping, we’re literally pulling all the elements together at this point. Also excited to do another HBO series on the Rock and Roll business in the 60s, 70s up to the 90s and that’s with Mick Jagger and Terry Winter.

Edited by NBooth, 05 December 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#58 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

How 'Hugo's' Massive Losses Are Straining Producer Graham King's Partnerships
King, 50, has been a producer on Scorsese films for a decade, but a source connected to both men says that in the wake of Hugo, “Graham feels unappreciated, and Marty believes that he should not have any budget issues and should not have to be grateful to anybody.” This well-placed source says the strain explains why Scorsese is not moving forward — as he said he would in December — on Silence, his adaptation of Shusaku Endo’s novel about two Jesuit priests in 17th century Japan. King owns the rights. Instead, Scorsese next will direct Red Granite’s Wolf of Wall Street, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Asked about the relationship, Scorsese said in a statement to THR: “Since the late ’90s, I’ve had a great working relationship with Graham. I’m very proud of the films we’ve worked on together, including Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed and Hugo. I look forward to working with him again in the future, and I’ll always consider him a friend.”
Says GK’s spokesperson: “King continues to enjoy collaborating with Scorsese. Scorsese is currently focused on Wolf of Wall Street. When he completes that project, King will regroup with him to try to get together.” . . .
Hollywood Reporter, April 25

#59 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Scorsese being sued by his producer for not making Silence his next movie.

#60 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Martin Scorsese Project Triggers New $20 Million Lawsuit (Exclusive)
The lawsuit from New York lawyer Aaron Richard Golub is a complicated, decade-spanning one that deals with conflicts, duties and representations made in Hollywood. It also marks the latest twist in an old battle between two Italian cinema giants -- Nunnari and Vittorio Cecchi Gori -- as well as the latest development in an ongoing battle over Silence, which Scorsese agreed to direct but has languished in development for more than two decades. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, February 15

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Martin Scorsese