Star Wars on TV?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

Now come reports of a possible Star Wars television series as early as 2006...
QUOTE (IESB.NET)
Since last year George Lucas has been dropping hints regarding the possibility of a TV series. Today they are no longer hints. On USA Today, the TV series was confirmed by Lucas and now most recently the President of Lucas licensing, Howard Roffman, has quoted stating that a live action TV Series will indeed hit airwaves by fall of 2006.

Full Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 29 September 2004 - 09:51 PM.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,279 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

A new story on Kevin Smith's site throws fuel on the fire of rumors that Smith and Mark Hamill are working on the pilot episode of the Star Wars television series.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

More exciting than any of the Revenge of the Sith rumors...

Mark Hamill might actually be in front of the cameras again in this series ... as an aging Luke Skywalker!

Why am I getting excited about a Star Wars television series? BECAUSE SOMEONE OTHER THAN LUCAS WOULD BE DIRECTING THEM.

Story here.

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Lame lameness of the lamety-lame-lame lamest lameness.

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,057 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 20 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post
alas, I didn't reckon on the Lucas STUPIDITY factor
You don't know the power of the Dark Side!!!!

#6 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

This'll be better than that Ewok cartoon that came on Friday nights when I was a kid.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

• 844 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Sigh. Once again, the original Star Wars trilogy will be undermined with nonsensical chronology. I thought that the fact that in the first film Luke was complaining about how he wanted to "get off this rock" indicated that nothing interesting EVER happens on Tatooine. It'll be a boring series indeed.

More exciting than any of the Revenge of the Sith rumors...

Mark Hamill might actually be in front of the cameras again in this series ... as an aging Luke Skywalker!

Why am I getting excited about a Star Wars television series? BECAUSE SOMEONE OTHER THAN LUCAS WOULD BE DIRECTING THEM.

Whatever happened to this idea? It sounded cool to me. Imagine a series about the re-creation of the Jedi Order. It could feature all sorts of new heroes and villains who can be spawned from the breakdown of the Empire's power and the re-institution of the Republic.

Or we could all just break out the Firefly box sets instead. smile.gif

#8 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,634 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

Some more news on the two series that Lucasfilm is preparing for TV, although not much detail.

QUOTE(Studio Briefing)
Lucas Financing 200 Star Wars-related TV Episodes

George Lucas says that his upcoming animated series The Clone Wars is so far removed from typical animated TV fare that "we're still trying to figure out how to put it on the air." In an interview with the online edition of TV Guide, Lucas said that the series would be rated PG-13 if it were a movie. "Everybody's got the same conundrums -- 'How do we program it? Where does it live? Where can we put something like this?" You know, it has to go [on the air] after 9:00 p.m. and it can't be on a kiddie channel." But while the series doesn't fit into a convenient "niche" for advertisers and programmers, Lucas said, "It's Star Wars and it's really good, so I'm sure somehow or another, people will also start thinking outside the box and it will find its home." Lucas indicated that he is independently financing 100 episodes of the animated series as well as 100 episodes of a live-action Star Wars-based series that has not yet begun shooting. "We're just doing them on the faith that we're going to [sell them]," he told TV Guide. "But I have enough confidence that this is good, and I'll make it really good, so I'm not too worried about that part of it."

TV Guide Online Interview with George Lucas

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 21 September 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:27 AM

Animated 'Star Wars' to hit theaters
Another "Star Wars" tale is on its way to the bigscreen, but it won't be distributed by Fox.
Lucasfilm has partnered with Warner Bros. Pictures and Turner Broadcasting on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a 3-D toon that will bow in theaters this August before moving to the smallscreen in the fall. The Aug. 15 feature will set the stage for the spinoff skein, which will bow on Cartoon Network, followed by airings on TNT. International release dates for the feature and TV series are still being set.
Multiplatform project is an expansion of the earlier "Clone Wars" microseries that aired on Cartoon Network. However, Fox's homevid arm released those episodes on DVD, just as it has distributed every "Star Wars" theatrical release since 1977. . . .
Variety, February 11

#10 metalfoot

metalfoot

• 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

Colour me utterly unimpressed.

#11 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,634 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yet another story on the suppose-ed live action Star Wars TV-series. I thought early reports indicated Lucas was just going to shoot the series and then find a distributor. Now there's all this talk of Lucas trying to hash out deals with HBO and other networks.

QUOTE (New York Post)
'Star Wars" creator George Lucas is reportedly at work on a new, live-action TV series with the tantalizing description: "Deadwood" meets "The Sopranos" in outer space.

Story here.

What is Hutteese for "fuggidaboudit"?

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

Variety reviews the television show.

#13 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,634 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

Make this happen!

QUOTE (WENN)
Pegg Eyes Star Wars Job
1 August 2008 5:24 AM, PDT

British actor Simon Pegg wants to write a new Star Wars story - if he can make friends with director George Lucas.

The Shaun of the Dead star is a huge fan of the sci-fi films, but has criticised 1999 prequel movie The Phantom Menace.

Now he has his heart set on working for the forthcoming TV series of the legendary franchise - but fears he has made himself an enemy of the production company with his comments.

Pegg says, "I might try to wheedle my way back into the affections of Lucasfilm (Lucas' production company) and write an episode of the new live action Star Wars TV series."

#14 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Rick "Yes Man" McCallum is talking about the ideas simmering for a "darker" and "more adult" Star Wars series that is definitely not the comedy series that we've heard about.

#15 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Rick "Yes Man" McCallum is talking about the ideas simmering for a "darker" and "more adult" Star Wars series that is definitely not the comedy series that we've heard about.

"Deadwood in space?" :blink:

Edited by NBooth, 17 January 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

NBooth wrote:
: "Deadwood in space?" :blink:

Old news. See this item, copied from above, that was posted to this thread four years ago:

'Star Wars" creator George Lucas is reportedly at work on a new, live-action TV series with the tantalizing description: "Deadwood" meets "The Sopranos" in outer space.

#17 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

NBooth wrote:
: "Deadwood in space?" :blink:

Old news. See this item, copied from above, that was posted to this thread four years ago:

Right, I remember now. I think the emoticon still stands, though.

#18 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm is renewing speculation about this show again.

The article also explains how much pre-production has been done on the show, and that some of the concepts and designs are being used in the upcoming Star Wars 1313 video game.

Edited by Tyler, 12 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#19 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Link to the quasi-duplicate thread on Seth Green's series.

Link to our thread on the Clone Wars movie that, IIRC, consisted of something like three episodes of the TV show.

StarWars.com:

As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come.

As part of this shift, we have also made some key decisions affecting Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Detours.

After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series. While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content. In the video below, Supervising Director Dave Filoni offers a peek of what is to come in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

At Star Wars Celebration VI last year, George Lucas gave fans a glimpse at the animated comedy series Star Wars Detours from Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, and Todd Grimes. Detours was conceived and produced before we decided to move forward with the new Star Wars trilogy, and in the wake of that decision, Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense. As a result, we've decided to postpone the release of Detours until a later date.

We are incredibly proud of the teams at Lucasfilm Animation for creating some of the most amazing animation ever produced for TV. Keep checking StarWars.com for new developments on these and future projects.

#20 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Blastr has found a scene from a live-action TV series, which apparently has been abandoned.