• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

Monday: Monday Night Football, sometimes CSI: Miami
Tuesday: avoiding TV unless Amazing Race comes back on this night.
Wednesday: Lost
Thursday: The original CSI, then ER
Friday: eh.
Saturday: yawn.
Sunday: FOOTBALL

Blockbuster online rentals fill in the holes and pack out the weekend. And then there are shows, like Survivor, that my wife watches but I avoid.

I also catch Wheel of Fortune when I can (Jeopardy comes on when I'm at work).

#22 hrh

hrh

• New User
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

Hi all:

New here, this place looks great!

TV viewing by primetime night (CAPS are my FAVs):

Sun: ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, The Simpsons, Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye
Mon: open (usually SG-1 reruns)
Tues: GILMORE GIRLS
Wed: LOST, where's Bernie Mac, if I can find it, I watch it
Thurs: open
Fri: JOAN OF ARCADIA, STARGATE SG-1
Sat: open

Any night: Red Sox baseball. Believe!

I'm interested in TV writing and have written specs for SG-1 and Joan. I'm doing a Gilmore Girls next.

If I could write a script for the Red Sox, ya' know what I'd write! Believe! smile.gif

hrh

#23 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (hrh @ Oct 15 2004, 08:50 AM)
If I could write a script for the Red Sox, ya' know what I'd write! Believe! smile.gif

I'd title the show "Cursed"

#24 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (coltrane @ Oct 14 2004, 11:50 PM)
13. Reno 911

Oh, yes. I forgot that one!

#25 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,075 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:50 PM

I guess this is cheating, but oh well. Our TV reception in Eastern Tennessee positively stinks, so we don't watch any network TV. So here are the shows I'll gladly watch on DVD:

1) Homicide: Life on the Street -- the first 3-4 seasons are simply dynamite - great gritty characters, dark humor, terrific storylines - best drama ever!

2) The Simpsons - best comedy ever! (before it started sucking in recent years, anyway)

3) Malcolm in the Middle - less consistent over the past season or so, but when it's on, it's hysterical

4) Freaks and Geeks - it's was a joy to watch its one and only season recently on DVD - great characters, frequently laugh-out-loud funny

5) The Office - per our recent thread; this will be going on my Christmas list

We just borrowed 'The Wire, Season 1' from Netflix - I'll soon see if it's worthy of addition to my exclusive list.

#26 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 4,924 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:53 PM

Reno 911 is also an extremely funny show.

#27 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Reality TV I can get behind--

"Long Way Round" on Bravo. Ewan McGregor and his pal Charlie Boorman (yes, John Boorman's son) ride motorcycles "over 20,000 miles, [traversing] the longest continuous landmass on earth through the Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China, Siberia, Alaska and Canada before arriving in the Untied [sic] States" (Bravo site).

And the official site says it is (or has been) seen on Sky as well, for those with UK cable or whatever...

My DH used to work for a motorcycle dealer & ride on a daily basis, so he really likes the show. Plus, Ewan & Charlie are not only fun, but they really miss their wives & children, which is sweet.

#28 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:12 PM

Beth, I've been hooked on this show as well. The excitement between Charley and Ewan is contagious, and the cultures and people they've experienced so far has made me want to strike out myself. And they're hilarious together.

There is also a book out as well, though I'm not sure if it's distributed in America yet or not, and the DVD and CD soundtrack will be available in December.

#29 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

Does this have to be current shows? I'll assume not:

1. Deadwood
2. The Wire
3. The Office (British)
4. Creature Comforts (British. inspired by Nick Park, of Wallace and Grommet fame. Rent it from Netflix!)
5. Whose Line is it Anyway
6. Simpsons
7. Curb Your Enthusiasm (sometimes)
8. Hockey Night in Canada
9. The Derren Brown Show (British. I don't know if that's the title but he's kind of like David Blaine but more psychological. pretty crazy stuff)

Guilty Pleasure: Trading Spaces, whatever Bob Ross the painter's show was called,

I'm watching the first season of Lost and I am compelled to keep watching, but I can't say that I like it. I feel too manipulated. And the value of every show is resting on a future explanation that might suck.

#30 Chashab

Chashab

• 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:26 AM

Whatever my wife puts in our Netflix queue wink.gif

We're not watching TV this summer (what bliss to not be!), but did watch JoArcadia on disk, and now she has Gilmore Girls coming. I remember liking GGirls; we used to get watch it some years back. Otherwise

* Gray's Anatomy (liked the earlier part of the season better)
* Extreme Makeover Home Ed. (Liked the first season the best, second OK, but they've sold out now)
* Lost (still good . . .

. . . although there seems to be a trend for me in that I grow tired of a show after a 2-3 seasons)

* Alias (again, I remember liking the first few seasons better)
* Seinfeld &
* Simpsons

Adding: The only time I've ever had cable channels was in college, and the one year of college I had a TV it was my roommates — and I was an architecture student that year. Time for TV was out of the question!

Edited by Chashab, 01 August 2006 - 07:28 AM.

#31 Ijiwaru Sensei

Ijiwaru Sensei

• 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

Battlestar Galactica--a very well written show that deals with religion and faith as an integral part of the two warring cultures. The commitment to the respective faiths varies from individual to individual.

#32 Robinflamingo

Robinflamingo

• 27 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Grey's Anatomy
So You Think You Can Dance?
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
What Not to Wear
Whose Line Is It Anyways?
House
ER
Friends
Everybody Loves Raymond
Countless other TLC/Discovery shows biggrin.gif

...and I don't apologize for any of them.

#33 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,566 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

Is there any way we can list shows that are no longer on the air? Every post mentions current shows (since the thread started, like, two years ago). Aside from Lost, ever show I ever liked got cancelled.

#34 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(Jason Panella @ Aug 2 2006, 02:04 AM) View Post

Is there any way we can list shows that are no longer on the air? Every post mentions current shows (since the thread started, like, two years ago). Aside from Lost, ever show I ever liked got cancelled.

A couple of posts have mentioned shows on DVD, so why not? Is there a thread for "your favorite shows of all time"?

#35 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(Robinflamingo @ Aug 1 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post

What Not to Wear

We bought cable for my father in law and the world cup. Now he's gone but my wife is addicted to this show, and I can't cancel the cable.

I think I'll nominate her for it, but she dresses better than everyone I've seen so far. She just wants the $5000 and a week in NYC.

#36 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,566 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(BethR @ Aug 2 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

A couple of posts have mentioned shows on DVD, so why not? Is there a thread for "your favorite shows of all time"?

Heck, here I go--

Currently, the only shows I watching that haven't been cancelled are Lost, 24 and the Unit (if only for my Mamet fix). Other favorites, almost all of them shot down in their prime: Firefly, Homicide: Life on the Streets, Space: Above and Beyond, Tour of Duty, Early Edition, Due South (before the last two seasons went haywire, at least), Millennium, American Gothic and Monk. I didn't list the last one with the "on air" bunch because I've only been watching it on DVD.

#37 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,732 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Currently, my wife and I wading thru the Entourage DVD's because we dont have HBO. We're about midway thru season two and enjoying it immensely.

Add The Amazing Screw On Head to that list.

Waiting anxiously for Lost and Survivor Cook Islands this fall.

Edited by coltrane, 02 August 2006 - 11:49 AM.

#38 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Jason Panella @ Aug 2 2006, 11:35 AM) View Post

Homicide: Life on the Streets

I actually got grief pangs every Friday night for several months after this was canceled. There's been nothing like it since, on network TV, anyway.

Tour of Duty

This was the Vietnam show that aired around 1987-88, right? My sister and I watched this faithfully! Great show, and a sadly premature demise.

Millennium

For the first season and a half, I thought Chris Carter would actually top his own X-Files, then the best show on television, IMHO. But by its third and final season, Millennium had crapped out, and Carter could only wrap it up with a somewhat unsatisfying X-Files episode. At its best, this show was so smart and dark and scary and foreboding. (I'd add Carter's Harsh Realm as a prematurely canceled gem, at least judging by the three or four episodes that Fox aired.)

Monk

Has Monk been canceled? I thought it just started a new season? My wife likes this one better than I do (I liked it more before they replaced Sharona sad.gif M-m-m-my Sharona ...), but I get a little weary of the murder "mysteries" which are paper thin. Shalhoub is a joy to watch in the role, though.

Edited by Mark, 02 August 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#39 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

All time favorite shows:
Hill Street Blues
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Any Dodger game with Vin Scully announcing
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Homicide
NYPD Blue
The Lone Ranger
All in the Family

Edited by Darrel Manson, 02 August 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#40 edwartica

edwartica

• 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

I don't really like tv myself. Well, most tv. I do love anime. I recently watched the entire series of neon genisis evangelion.