Thomas Kinkade

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Think about it - if you're an American, can you call to mind a mental image of a person who would have pink flamingo statues and lawn gnomes on their front yard? Perhaps a wooden cutout that resembles the backside of a heavyset woman bending over to do her gardening? Call that person to mind, now go inside their home. Would you be surprised to find a Kinkade painting in their home?

Yes. Those folks are more of the velvet-Elvis type.

And hey, my yard contains both a gnome and a gargoyle, so you better watch out.

#102 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,252 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Dead at 54.

#103 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,989 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Rest in Peace, brother. And may flights of angels attend you to your rest.

#104 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,795 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Sci-fi and comic buffs might find this interesting: Two of Kinkade's old roommates/neighbours have posted some of their memories of living with him back when they are all nobodies:

Paul Chadwick (creator of Concrete, etc.).

Mark Verheiden (writer of the original Dark Horse Aliens comic mini-series; co-executive producer and/or consulting producer of Heroes, Falling Skies, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, etc.).

#105 techne

techne

• 384 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

even art:21 has blogged about kinkade's passing...

#106 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,252 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Greg Wolfe's Kinkade essay, "Art in a Fallen World," is on the Wall Street Journal. It's worth reading, even (or especially) if you're not a big fan of Kinkade's paintings.

#107 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yes! I read the Wolfe piece. At the risk of sounding like an shill for our sponsering institution, I must say that I was impressed by the subtle technique of making clear disagreement and negative judgement of the subject's work without slamming the (dead) subject. If only I were capable of such eulogizing.

I wish I still had the link, but I found a hedious AP report of kinkades death last weekend that essentially slammed Kincaide by sharkily talking down to his fans as a way of explaining Kincaide's appeal and success. What a contrast between Wolfe and that AP bird.

Having skimmed some of the way earlier posts, some have expressed delight in Kincaide's early work. Are their links to such stuff?

#108 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Having skimmed some of the way earlier posts, some have expressed delight in Kincaide's early work. Are their links to such stuff?

You mean like this?

#109 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

WOW. The difference is startling. Of the first two paintings, side by side. The author's point is obvious before I even read the text. I suppose that my only reservation on the old stuff is, why the infernal 19th c., or early 20? Or is that just a way to demonstrate the point?

On the San Fransisco theme, the newer painting does the streetcar as a cartoon.

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 24 April 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#110 michae1

michae1

• 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Even with the brevity of that article, one gets the impression that the author was padding to fill space. While I resonate with what he says, it's a poorly-written piece.

To play Kincade's advocate for a minute, though - no painter paints the totality of human existence. No artist can even hope to capture "life as it really is". Someone (I wish I could attribute the quote, I use it all the time) said that all art is primarily selection. At most, an artist strives to accurately portray a slice of life - a brief perspective on life. OR, perhaps more precisely, to innacurately portray a slice of life - to exaggerate or distort a slice of life so as to show it for what it really is under the skin.

While I agree with the author - Kincade's work strikes me as saccharine, too - I wonder sometimes if that's a fault of mine and not Kincade's. I went through America's art instruction meat grinder. I absorbed many of the art world's prejudices and cynicism. If Kincade is trying to portray the good, or the pure, and through it to induce longing, maybe it's the jaded, fallen part of me that's reacting against it. The part of me that rankles at the thought of goodness and purity. The part of me that is comfortable in sin, and uncomfortable around righteousness. Dr. David Wells defines "worldliness" as that system around us that makes evil seem normal and righteousness seem odd. Maybe my artistic tastes are too "worldly" to appreciate Kincade's work.

But then again, theologically it's impossible for Kincade's work to be unfallen, even if it might be redeemed. Perhaps what rankles is not goodness, but the facade of false righteousness. Since it cannot possibly BE purely good, perhaps it rings false when he tries to pass it off as purely good.

I don't know. I do know that I grow uncomfortable whenever we trendy folks cast scorn on brothers in Christ for being un-hip. That elitist sense of "I'm in the in crowd, I've got taste and style" often defines itself by excluding others, putting them down. We in the art community are perhaps most prone to this sin. I try always to root it out in myself, and to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. At the same time, I believe there is such a thing as objectively good art - there is a hierarchy of value in art that is not purely a matter of preference. So, I get hung on the horns of my own dilemma. My petard is a-hoisting. Who can rescue me from this body of death??

Here's my observation. If you were the only one on Earth, you would never be at a loss for someone to argue with.

#111 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,054 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Here's my observation. If you were the only one on Earth, you would never be at a loss for someone to argue with.

"Michae1": You registered at A&F this week…and your first post is what reads like an ill-advised snarky comment…about an 8-year-old post…by one of this board's most thoughtful veterans?

I sure hope that was either a drive-by, or that you improve fast.

#112 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,989 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

For what it's worth, I didn't take Michael's post as a slam. I'm of two minds, and so I argue with myself. It's an accurate observation, I think. But maybe I'm just in a magnanimous mood. :)

#113 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 356 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

Here.