Cormac Mccarthy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mada

mada

• New User
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:14 PM

Hi, anyone have any thoughts on Cormac Mccarthy, he is my favourite author,a nd seems to write with a profound theological insight.
I would love to hear from anyone with thoughts on this.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,065 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

I'm a big fan. I loved All the Pretty Horses, laughed and screamed and became sick to my stomach over No Country for Old Men, and now I'm caught in the horror of The Road.

And by the way, The Road just won the Pulitzer.

I think there's another thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

I finished disc one of "The Road" today, and I'm into it. Much better than "No Country for Old Men," at least in the early going. But if "The Road" keeps up, I may revisit "No Country" soon.

#4 Christian

Christian

• 10,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

Jeffrey's holding back on the bigger Pulitzer news, which is this richly deserved award (mentioned in the headline of the linked story).

A phenomenal book that everyone must read.

No joke.

If you haven't read it, read it. Now.

Edited by Christian, 16 April 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#5 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,673 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

I'm also a big McCarthy fan. The Road is jaw-dropping. Blood Meridian is jaw-dropping as well (and so incredibly dense!). I really liked No Country For Old Men, and look forward to the Coen bros. film version. I own the Border Trilogy and will try to read them sometime this year.

I'm so glad he won.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,711 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Jason Panella @ Apr 16 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post
The Road is jaw-dropping.

I loved it. Makes me want to try "No Country for Old Men" again.

#7 Christian

Christian

• 10,711 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Jim Emerson goes long in his praise of the book. Don't read the post if you haven't already read the book.

#8 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,730 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

Great write-up; my appetite is now even more whetted--I've got "The Road" and "All the Pretty Horses" on my shelf, awaiting my attention.
I read "No Country" some time ago and 'blogged my impressions (with possible spoilers) here. I was intrigued and disturbed by the book; the imagery of the last couple of paragraphs is so vivid that, even now, it stands clearly before my mind's eye. I look forward to reading more Mccarthy.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,331 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Links to threads on the book and film versions of The Road, and to the thread on the film version of No Country for Old Men.

#10 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

Just finished "Blood Meridian" last night. Powerful, haunting, malignant, confusing. I need to reread the last chapter; I flew through so quickly.

Would love to talk about it if any one else has read it. I'll start a dedicated thread.

#11 chuckster

chuckster

• 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

It doesn't look like there has been much activity on this topic other than Buckeye's comment from a couple of months ago. I have not read any of Cormac Mccarthy's work, but I am hoping to over the Holidays. My question for any of you is, what is a good one to start with? I was actually leaning towards Blood Meridian after reading a review a few months ago and reading some of the comments on the dedicated thread from Buckeye, but when I looked it up at the bookstore, I thought I saw something about it being part of a trilogy. If that is the case, I didn't know if I needed to read something else in order to get the background before jumping into this one. Any suggestions on what would be a good first read from this author would be appreciated.

#12 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,673 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Though I'm a fan of McCarthy, I've not read all of his works and might not be able to give you the best answer. That said, Blood Meridian might be a rough start. Yes, it's unlike anything I've ever read (or ever will read, probably), it's pretty daunting to get through. It's a shaky comparison, but it's almost like being unfamiliar with Joyce and starting with Finnegan's Wake (instead of, say, The Dubliners or Portrait of the Artist...).

Also, the trilogy of books doesn't include Meridian, but All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain. Those might worth starting with. Maybe Suttree? I've not read it, but a few friends have and loved it. My vote, though, is for The Road. I feel like it sums up his career themes well.

#13 chuckster

chuckster

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Jason. I think I will take your advice and hold off on Blood Meridian. Suttree actually sounds pretty appealing to me since I grew up about an hour west of Knoxville.

#14 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,730 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGxqOOHxaFo

[via the Reading Copy 'blog]

#15 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,378 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Very funny.

As far as McCarthy goes, I love BLOOD MERIDIAN and don't really get the enthusiasm for THE ROAD.