• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,246 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (DanBuck @ Apr 24 2004, 01:13 PM)
Got to Man without a Past last night and I loved it.

I laughed right out loud at the scene where the band is listening to Rock and Roll in the main character's storage crate. In their uniforms, heads all turned staring at the juke box. Truly hysterical. So dry, the laughing cracked my lips.

This might be the most foreign film I've ever loved. (I know that's a ridiculous superlative.)

And is it just me or is this guy the Finnish Liam Niesson?

Love the "fresh start" feel of this film. Appeals to the gypsy in me. And some interesting things to note about the influence of kind people on the remaking of this man.

Amen to all of that, Dan. It's a delight, isn't it? And, without giving anything away, I was so surprised by that whole "final chapter" of the story, and how much power it held. Both an entertaining and a potent film.

(By the way, will I see you at CITA this June?)

#22 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

Alas, you will not. National CITA is too far, too long and thusly too expensive for me. I'll probably settle for the Southeast regional cita.

On a related theatre (notice the nose in the air spelling) note, check out the Literature section. I have a question you may be able to answer.

Edited by DanBuck, 25 April 2004 - 04:26 PM.

#23 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

Aki Kaurismaeki will be completing his "unemployment trilogy" with a film called Vartija (The Guard). The first two films being Drifting Clouds and The Man Without a Past.

Story here.

#24 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for nudging this. The Man Without a Past is on top of my television, waiting to be watched.

#25 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:55 PM

yw biggrin.gif

#26 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,216 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

"Sequel"? Does this mean the third film will be all about the "security guard" from the second film? I'm not sure I like that idea, since the first two films had no characters or plot points in common,

#27 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,216 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Will Lights in the Dusk (formerly Vartija) be eligible for the Oscar?

#28 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,216 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:51 AM

Life at the margins
Attendance was minimal at the screening I attended of Aki Kaurismaki's Lights in the Dusk, which played at the Gene Siskel Film Center last week (July 20-26), though somehow you suspect Kaurismaki would've wanted it that way. . . .
Pat Graham, Chicago Reader Blogs: On Film, July 27

#29 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,216 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:04 AM

The so-called 'Proletariat Trilogy' -- Shadows in Paradise (1986), Ariel (1988) and The Match Factory Girl (1990) -- is being released on DVD via Criterion's Eclipse label.

#30 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

#31 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 354 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Le Havre website.

#32 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

IN L.A.? Dec. 8 at LACMA: Spotlight on Aki Kaurismaki Tix on sale now.

#33 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,062 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

IN L.A.? Dec. 8 at LACMA: Spotlight on Aki Kaurismaki Tix on sale now.

Todd Truffin and I have a podcast on Le Havre over at The Thin Place:

#34 Christian

Christian

• 10,655 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

This thread was started more than seven years ago.

I have just returned from seeing my first Kaurismaki film.

Why did I wait so long?

Le Havre is wonderful, just wonderful. I have no idea how it compares with the director's other films, whether it's considered "minor" or whatever, but I feel like I've just cracked open a lovely, big book that contains story after story I want to read.

I'm listening to Ken's and Todd's podcast on the film right now. They have issues with a certain plot development. Now Ken is mentioning that Janus highlights the "fairy tale" aspect of the story and how to reconcile it with the very real social issue the film presents.

I have lots of reading and listening to do in learning more about this filmmaker, but what a great way to kick of my 2012 movie watching!

Edited by Christian, 01 January 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#35 Christian

Christian

• 10,655 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

I'm listening to Ken's and Todd's podcast on the film right now. They have issues with a certain plot development. Now Ken is mentioning that Janus highlights the "fairy tale" aspect of the story and how to reconcile it with the very real social issue the film presents.

Hope Ken takes this the right way when I say that I laughed out loud when he -- 39 MINUTES INTO A PODCAST LAYING OUT HIS AND TODD'S PROBLEMS WITH THE FILM -- says "despite those few nits to pick, I was charmed by the film."

And then Todd adds that he, too, was charmed by the film.

#36 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,062 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hope Ken takes this the right way when I say that I laughed out loud when he -- 39 MINUTES INTO A PODCAST LAYING OUT HIS AND TODD'S PROBLEMS WITH THE FILM -- says "despite those few nits to pick, I was charmed by the film."

And then Todd adds that he, too, was charmed by the film.

I'm just happy when anyone listens!

In my defense, the first question I asked Todd was something along the lines of why he appeared not to like the film quite as much as I did. (It was in my Top 10).

#37 Christian

Christian

• 10,655 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Briefly, just wanted to link to Stephanie Zacharek's final 2011 Movie Club post, which lists "five quick hits that I’m not quite ready to leave behind," concluding with (and I'll "spoiler" this, although I want people to read it and don't think it ruins the film to discuss the last shot):

Spoiler

Edited by Christian, 09 January 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#38 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,523 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

For those in the Los Angeles area, the New Beverly Cinema is showing a double feature of La Vie de Bohème and La Havre on April 27th and 28th.