Searching for a particular book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

When I was a kid, I read (in my Grandmother's old Readers' Digest Condensed Books series) a story that has stayed with me, but I have been unable to find again.

In the story, a painter discovers a hidden masterpiece, a painting by an old Dutch (I think) master, a painting of the Crucifixion. What is special about this painting is that everyone who looks at it sees their own face somewhere in the crowd of onlookers, but when anyone else looks at it, they don't see the other person, they see themselves. The painter goes on a journey to try to track down who the artist was, and how he pulled off that feat.

I remember in one scene, the painter shows the picture to a black limousine driver friend of his (named "Maxwell", if I'm not mistaken) who is a devout Christian. Maxwell is crushed to see himself as the Roman Centurion whipping Christ, and thinks the painter painted him into the picture maliciously. But to the painter's eyes, there are no black people in the painting.

Recent discussions about the Passion of the Christ, and some of the quotes on the side of the main page have brought this story back to my mind, though truthfully i remember it several times a year anyway.

Like I said, I have been unable to track the story down again. Does anyone here know the story I am talking about?

#2 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

I don't know, but if you ever find out please post it here. That sounds like a really interesting story.

#3 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,940 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

Sorry, no help. I tried a bunch of likely Google searches based on likely plot point words, including Googling Amazon.com, and found nothing.

#4 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, I searched for listings of RDCB titles, and all sorts of Google searches. Now I'm trying to connect with some actual human memories.

#5 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Shape of the Illusion by William Edmund Barrett, who, was also the author of Lilies of the Field and The Left Hand of God.

Did you ever find and re-read this, CrimsonLine?