205 replies to this topic

#41 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,811 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(asher @ Mar 17 2005, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE(stef @ Mar 17 2005, 02:59 PM)
Well I am stark naked and typing this from work.  You cannot top that.

-s.

View Post

I just want you to know, I am not getting together with you to strip naked, punch each other and watch a movie no matter how you dress, or don't dress, at work.

View Post

Boys, boys! cool.gif

#42 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, I know.

Beth, you cool with the film order and timeline?

#43 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,811 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

Slacker, Fanny & Alexander, Heart of Light?

Sounds fine to me. I haven't seen the first 2, so should be interesting. 10-day viewing/posting period seems reasonable.

Sorry about the previous post. smile.gif

#44 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(BethR @ Mar 17 2005, 06:14 PM)
Sorry about the previous post.  smile.gif

View Post

Thanks for throwing the verbal bucket of cold water.

#45 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

I'd most likely bow out on slacker but would happily contribute to discssions on the other 2. I assume that these are the first 3 films over a 30 day period and not a 10 day period?

#46 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, we'd watch them one at a time. But I think we'll probably discuss Slacker for a week or more (and leave it open, of course, for further discussion), and do the same for subsequent films.

Beth, I was agreeing with you. wink.gif We're trying to get people interested in this venture, and stef's yukking it up with all this naked-talk.

Did Darren volunteer yet to be the discussion-synthesizer? I think that role should/could shift from member to member, film to film. But maybe he'd take the lead for the first film.

#47 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,048 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE((M)Leary @ Mar 17 2005, 06:33 AM)
How about:

Slacker, Fanny, and then Heart of Light.

View Post

I'm excited about these titles. The only one of these I've seen is F&A (and only the theatrical version, which I've heard is inferior). By the way, I am a total Linklater newbie, so this should be interesting.

#48 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, I'd be glad to discussion-synthesize Slacker. I'd also be glad to host a screening for anyone in the Knoxville area. (Is there anyone out there?)

#49 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

Is Andrew's new residence close to you?

I'm it for western Pennsylvania.

#50 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

I'll jump in. I haven't seen any of these films, so I'm looking forward to the discussions.

#51 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,428 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

I'm sorry, Ken and Beth and Russ and everyone else. I was in a goofy mood. It happens. (.... and I'm holding back urge to make another very derailing joke even as I type this brief apology.)

New rule. Let's stick to the topic. I like: Slacker, Fanny and Alexander, and then Heart of Light. This will be great fun.

-s.

#52 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:06 PM

All right, so we're on for Slacker with open discussion starting next Monday?

I assume then we should try to watch the film this week and send some written response to Monsieur Hughes by, when, Darren? How much time would you need to sift through responses and then open the discussion?

In light of Easter weekend, should we shoot for perhaps sending you responses by Monday and then opening discussion Wednesday?

#53 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

I wasn't thinking, "Please turn in your homework assignments to Darren before class on Monday." Instead, I just think we should extend some kind of grace period -- maybe the first day of the discussion -- for posting our own initial impressions of the film, freed from the pressure of thinking that we'll instantly be put on the defensive for having a contrary opinion or for making a debatable word choice. (Maybe I'm being unnecessarily cautious after being burned one [or five or fifteen] too many times around here.) I'm a fan of Slacker but I have no doubt that some of you will be bored, frustrated, and/or unimpressed by it, and, ideally, everyone should have their say before a back-and-forth begins.

There's a danger, of course, in formalizing things too much. But I'd like to try launching the discussion with a post that works to synthesize our initial reactions, finding common threads, common complaints, whatever. I'll also try to pose useful discussion questions. From there on, it's a free-for-all.

And, for the record, when I suggest that we each write some kind of personal response to the film, I have absolutely no fixed idea about what that should look like. It could be a formal review or a personal anecdote about that year that you took off a semester of school to play in a band. I'm planning to write up a diary response like those I post on my blog every once in a while -- part formal analysis, part cultural criticism, all written informally in the first person. It works for me. Your mileage will vary.

#54 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

How about we start the new thread on Tuesday morning, leave that entire day free for discussion-less postings, then on Wednesday morning I'll post my synthesis and questions?

#55 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Darren H @ Mar 21 2005, 02:53 PM)
How about we start the new thread on Tuesday morning, leave that entire day free for discussion-less postings, then on Wednesday morning I'll post my synthesis and questions?

View Post

"That sounds like a good idea", if I may quote my 2 year old.

I understood "writing" part of this assignment as a personal thing in order to have a more fully thought out discussion foundation. If we are turning papers in, do I have to register and pay for credit hours? (tongue in cheek, people, tongue...in...cheek)

#56 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Darren H @ Mar 21 2005, 12:49 PM)
I just think we should extend some kind of grace period -- maybe the first day of the discussion -- for posting our own initial impressions of the film, freed from the pressure of thinking that we'll instantly be put on the defensive for having a contrary opinion or for making a debatable word choice. 

View Post

I, for one, like this idea because I'm not very well-versed in film criticism and might otherwise feel intimidated about posting an opinion that sounds uninformed (even if it is). Film criticism doesn't come as easily to me as literary criticism, and I have a tendency with films to focus too much on plot and character development.

#57 Persona

Persona

• 7,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Heh, interesting. It's on sale 300 yards away from me at
Deep Discount DVD. cool.gif

-s.

Edited by stef, 21 March 2005 - 01:22 PM.

#58 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

I have a tendency with films to focus too much on plot and character development.

Well, yeah, then I'll be really interested to hear what you have to say about Slacker, seeing as how it has neither. wink.gif

Slacker got a home video release some time in the early-90s, but I don't recall ever seeing it in a Blockbuster. It doesn't surprise me to hear that they aren't stocking the new Criterion DVD release, either.

Maybe we should do an official status check on Thursday or Friday to make sure that enough of us have gotten our hands on the film.

Edited by Darren H, 21 March 2005 - 01:32 PM.

#59 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(stef @ Mar 21 2005, 03:19 PM)
Heh, interesting.  It's on sale 300 yards away from me at
Deep Discount DVDcool.gif

-s.

View Post

So what are you waiting for? And, may I borrow it please?

#60 Persona

Persona

• 7,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

I will pick it up tonight. And I will loan it to you, my friend, in a heartbeat.

-s.