Photo

Film Club

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#21 Christian

Christian

• 10,816 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

Maybe I should add here that I plan tonight to watch Y Tu Mama Tambien, so, ummm, if you wanna make that film the first selection, that'd be cool by me.

But I don't know that it's a particularly beneficial film for all ... or even for me, for that matter. blush.gif

#22 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

The first rule of Film Club is that we do not talk about Film Club, right? wink.gif

I'm not currently on Netflix, but I would be willing to join in as long as I can track down a copy of the film being discussed. For me, ten days should be plenty of time.

I would be willing to start with Slacker. I've seen it, but I know I can find a copy at a local Hollywood Video. F & A sounds interesting, also. I hope I can track down a copy of that one.

#23 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

By the way, Christian, Tape is available on a really nice DVD that includes a commentary track from Linklater and Hawke. It's one of those discs that you can occasionally find for, like, $10.

#24 JennyLynne

JennyLynne

• 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

Ooh, I'll play!
I'm up for whatever, my netflix list is
also rather long, but I'm always up
for moving things around and adding to
my queue.

#25 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

I think #3 is the way to go, Alan.

Also, I know that this is awfully premature, but here's something else to consider. When I teach, I often ask my students to writeup their initial responses to whatever play or novel we're reading together, and ideally they do this before we get together for the discussion. It guarantees (as much as you can guarantee anything in a classroom) that everyone has processed the work on their own terms, formed their own opinions, chased their own interests, before being absorbed into the class consensus.

I don't in any way want to turn this great idea into something school-like, but I wonder what would happen if, before diving into a conversation, we first allow some safe room for everyone who is interested to post their initial, mostly subjective impressions. We might even find someone willing to synthesize those initial posts and form some general questions as a way to get the discussion rolling.

Note: You are now all witness to my more embarrassing, anal tendencies -- tendencies to organize and systematize things. It's just an idea. Feel free to shoot it down.

I do feel, though, that something like this -- some method of processing the experience alone and perhaps even in silence before talking and talking and talking -- goes some way toward achieving what we were talking about in that now-defunct thread: becoming better "equipped" as thinkers and critics.

#26 John

John

• 421 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

I like that idea Darren, as it would have been my plan regardless! I find it a valuable exercise with or without discussion following, and think it would be helpful to encourage people to write down their own perspectives before we get into a back and forth with one another.

#27 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:15 PM

add me in.

I think you're right about option 3 Alan.

When I read the topic I thought *I bet they haven't thought about us Brits getting later cinema releases* which I'm glad to see you have smile.gif

I'm intrigued by that Veronica film by keislowski, anything by Bergman (I'd be very happy to rewatch Fanny and whatever her brother's name is), a few Woody Allen films I feel I ought to see, ummm... this is like having google open when you're bored: you had all this stuff you wanted to check up on but nothing comes to mind right at that moment.

Addendum:
thanks to a link to an interview with Jonathan Demme in the Napoleon Dynamite thread, I've been reminded of a film that I've been wanting to see again for about 6 years: Il Conformista (The Conformist). Saw it as part of an Italian cinema class and was struck by it on so many levels. Of course, with my awful memory for titles it took me years to work out what it was and keep forgetting/remembering it. It's stuck with me for this long though, so it's definitely worth revisiting. So that's my suggestion.

Edited by gigi, 16 March 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#28 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:57 PM

Russ -- Best idea you've ever had.

QUOTE(asher @ Mar 16 2005, 01:18 PM)
I missed it at the theatre because I had to work late.
You have never worked late in your life! smile.gif

(Those who do not know the relationship between Thom and I do not know how much of my respect he actually has; that I hold him in the highest esteem, and that I think he's one of The Cooler people walking Planet Earth.)

(I only razz the ones I love.)
QUOTE(Darren H @ Mar 16 2005, 02:03 PM)
I'm totally up for Fanny and Alexander, by the way.  I've seen 20 or so Bergman films now but have somehow managed to miss that one.  Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to buy the Criterion set. smile.gif

View Post

My thoughts exactly.

And only the TV version, which I still don't think is as long as the version I saw years ago on video in England (I always thought it was five hours until recently reading the Criterion capsule).
QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 16 2005, 04:09 PM)
3) Schedule a week to view the film and open the posting after the week...
I favor #3.
Yes. And maybe it is obvious, but I think it should be pointed out now that the actual discussion of the film we regularly view should be held in its own thread, not here.

I would love to see Fanny and Alexander again after all these years. It was one of the viewing experiences that brought me from "movies" into "film." Same with Veronique, which I saw in Wolverhampton, England, the same week, either late January or early February of 1996.

It might be cool to view the Top 100 this way. There are still 40-or-so films on that list I haven't seen.

-s.

#29 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(Al-head)
Do you mean its own thread or its own forum (like the Decalogue forum). I'm thinking its own thread.
Yep. Just its own thread. For future consideration.

QUOTE(Stef)
It might be cool to view the Top 100 this way.  There are still 40-or-so films on that list I haven't seen.

QUOTE(Al-head)
Slow-poke! I think I'm up to 91 now, hopefully 98 by Flickerings time (still can't get hold of Balthazar OR Werkmeister).
Show-off! My kid, and my kid on the way, and two jobs and 33 credits in the last year (which still equal a 4.0, btw) are obviously holding me back.

-s.

PS. Balthazar was in the theaters last year. Where. Were. You??

#30 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,861 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(stef @ Mar 17 2005, 01:57 AM)
Russ -- Best idea you've ever had.

I second that commotion.
QUOTE(stef @ Mar 17 2005)
QUOTE(asher @ Mar 16 2005, 01:18 PM)
I missed it at the theatre because I had to work late.
You have never worked late in your life! smile.gif

I used to work late back then and I actually enjoyed it. It was a job that could have turned into a fairly satisfying career.
QUOTE(stef)
(Those who do not know the relationship between Thom and I do not know how much of my respect he actually has; that I hold him in the highest esteem, and that I think he's one of The Cooler people walking Planet Earth.)

(I only razz the ones I love)

You are being WAY too generous but I'll TAKE IT!

Edited by asher, 17 March 2005 - 01:17 AM.

#31 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 17 2005, 01:15 AM)
Slow-poke! I think I'm up to 91 now, hopefully 98 by Flickerings time (still can't get hold of Balthazar OR Werkmeister).

View Post

You can get Werckmeister on Ebay usually...

#32 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

I propose we do Fanny first, Slacker second and Heart of Light third.

Sadly, The Double Life of Veronique isn't out yet in R.1 DVD.

Wow, and for people thinking about buying it, the former Ken Crane's/ current DVD Planet has it for $39 for the five-disc set. $20 off.

http://www.dvdplanet...productid=47032

#33 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

How about:

Slacker, Fanny, and then Heart of Light.

#34 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:47 AM

Here.

#35 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

That is the best price I have seen for it. Netflix never had it while I was in the states, but I do know that you can submit requests for them and they can pick it up for you to rent. It is usually on Amazon for about 34.00. Sorry about the price. If I owned a copy I would mail it to you. Honestly though, 30 is nothing compared to the 150.00 one would have to pay for a VHS copy of Tarr's Satantango. That one needs DVD release.

#36 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

All right, I'm OK with Leary's rearrangement.

Is anybody not OK with it? We can do this by consensus and not need to invoke polling. I want to make sure there's not somebody who wants to participate but who won't because of the movie choice. If that's you, feel free to speak up here or PM me (I'll keep your confidence) and we'll go at this another way.

Otherwise, can we set the next week to ten days for viewing our first movie and formulating written responses (either to be kept to ourselves or forwarded to/read by some discussion moderator; need to discuss this further), with discussion on the Board to begin on Monday the 28th?

#37 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE((M)Leary @ Mar 17 2005, 07:33 AM)
How about:

Slacker, Fanny, and then Heart of Light.

View Post

This, BTW, was Leary's rearrangement.

#38 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

For those who want to strip and punch each other -- is that an option? laugh.gif

#39 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

Well I am stark naked and typing this from work. You cannot top that.

-s.

#40 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,861 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(stef @ Mar 17 2005, 02:59 PM)
Well I am stark naked and typing this from work.  You cannot top that.

-s.

View Post

I just want you to know, I am not getting together with you to strip naked, punch each other and watch a movie no matter how you dress, or don't dress, at work.