• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,615 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(Darrel Manson @ Mar 28 2007, 12:19 AM) View Post
There are some issues with that, but they can be worked around. At present, I have blocked one of the teams (I think the Gray Geese) from making trades (I can switch which team is blockedif you want.) I can unlock that if you come up with a trade with another team (and would probably temporarity block your other team at the same time), but this way you can't pull players from one team and stock the other.

oh, by the way, if you haven't gotten email about it, the draft is done. I'll be doing quite a few changes after waivers clear.

Well, block the Sugar Beets. Trading was the issue I had in mind; it would give me an unfair advantage if I could trade with myself. The Sugar Beets are sort of a "default" team (I didn't set any custom player rankings).

and wow, the Sugar Beets have a killer pitching staff: Dice-K, King Felix, D-Train, and Roy Halladay on one team? Yipes. Josh Beckett and Mark Buehrle are backups? Wow. Three Mariners in the infield, hm. And I have three of the best catchers in the American League, so I can probably trade somebody to upgrade my spotty outfield, although Ordonez and Podsednik are not to be sneezed at.

The Grey Geese have quite a murderers' row on offense, but don't look as strong on ptiching. Maybe I'll just let them go.

Edited by mrmando, 28 March 2007 - 03:59 AM.

#42 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

Congrats on a great draft everyone!

Interesting analyzing the draft. I managed to get 4 of my top 10 picks. Which means nobody wanted the same guys as me. smile.gif That is either very good or very very bad.

We'll see. On my first day, I've already had somebody put on the DL, go figure. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

regards,
-Lance

#43 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

It's interesting indeed. Turns out I got 4 out of my top 10 as well, even though I only ended up with one player that had a default ranking in the top 20. As Thoreau says, this is either very good or very very bad.

I'm still baffled as to how the draft decided to reach down and grab Benitez for me in the 17th round, especially since every round after that but one I got players that I had ranked higher than Armando (by as many as 80 places!). Not only that, but pitchers I had ranked higher than Benitez (by like 35 places) got drafted five and six rounds later by other people.

I guess what I'm saying is, if anyone wants to trade Harden or Beckett for the Giants' renowned closer, I'm listening. smile.gif

#44 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,615 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(zalm @ Mar 29 2007, 12:39 AM) View Post
I guess what I'm saying is, if anyone wants to trade Harden or Beckett for the Giants' renowned closer, I'm listening. smile.gif

I might trade one of 'em, but not for that guy...

#45 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

MLB.com has a game called Beat the Streak. Every day you pick a batter, if he gets a hit, you're streak is alive. If you break DiMaggio's 56 game streak, you win big stuff. they don't seem to a league option this year. Feel free to post decent streaks here. I've made high teens before, but usually my streaks look like binary; 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 then I'll get about 3 in a row.

go to the "fantasy" link and you should find it fairly easily

Edited by Darrel Manson, 03 April 2007 - 10:15 AM.

#46 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Anyone else having trouble hitting the yahoo baseball site tonight? I keep timing out.

#47 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

A little known seventy-five year record is about to fall.

Braves' manager Bobby Cox was just tossed from his 130 game. He is one ejection from tying the record of 131 set by the legendary John McGraw, who retired in 1932.

130 games! That is almost a whole season.

#48 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

OK..so which will be the better moment this week. Bonds hitting 755 or Ripken and Gwynn going into the Hall of Fame?

As far as this Baltimoron is concerned, Ripken wins hands down!

#49 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Ripkin and Gwynn. At this point who gives a rip about RoidBoy. Best line I've heard recently was after Bonds ripped Costas for having Schilling on talking about Bonds -- calling Costas a midget who doesn't know jack--- about the game, Costas replied that he's five foot six and a half inches and all of 150 pounds, but unlike some people, he came to be that way naturally.

#50 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,615 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:52 AM

After hitting No. 754, Bonds walked four straight times. The Marlins kept him hitless tonight.

Frankly, I don't think the guy deserves the record, and were I managing the opposing team, I would have him walked every time he came up to bat. (I'm tempted to say I would have him beaned, but the consequences are unpredictable and might be more severe than intended ... look what happened to that minor-league first-base coach the other day.)

#51 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I am reminded of Drysdale who thought 4 wide ones were a waste of 3 pitches. If he wanted to walk somebody, he'd have likely knocked him down 4 times. But things were different then.

#52 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:30 AM

CONGRATS ZALM!

Not bad at all for your first time. You smoked us all.

#53 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

Woohoo!

And now the real season starts. Even better, my Sox have home field throughout the playoffs.

Tell me though, how long should I expect it to take for me to stop thinking things like, "Did I forget to add Ubaldo Jimenez by midnight?"

#54 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(zalm @ Oct 1 2007, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoo!

And now the real season starts. Even better, my Sox have home field throughout the playoffs.

No. Bosox only have home field advantage in first series since they lose it to the Halos.

#55 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

aren't they playing the halos in the first series?

#56 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

exactly, so they don't get to play in the ALCS

#57 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

ahhhh... i get it.

that there was some genuine smack talk that i mistook for a misguided point of information. sorry you needed to spell it out for me. kinda takes all the fun out of it, eh? blushing.gif

i'm just glad i don't have any reason to cheer for chone figgins anymore.

one bizarre outcome of the whole fantasy season is that i'm now awfully close to being a phillies fan. having the first four batters in the lineup (i had rollins in my other league), their number one starter and their closer will do that, i guess. and the way they clawed their way into the playoffs was downright exciting.

#58 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I have to say, that I placed too much emphasis on pitching and missed out on consistency in hitting. How frustrating to have benched hitters who score 10+ points and look down your active lineup and see negative numbers....ugh.

#59 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

So... now do the Sox have home field throughout the playoffs? tongue.gif

#60 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

likely so. At least they won't have to play the Yanks. I know Redsox fans love to beat the Yankees, but it's better just to have them sitting.