Photo

Fantasy Baseball, Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for doing this Darrel, looking forward to a fun season.

#82 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,714 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

The Bingo Long All-Stars have signed up and are ready to go.

Officially, the full team name should be the Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings, but it wouldn't fit.

Glad someone besides me went with a team that didn't have SS initials.

#83 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

We're up to 7 teams! Still plenty of room. If one or two or three more join we may need to debate format choices.

#84 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

For those who have signed up, check the new commish message I posted. It asks for input on how to proceed with things this year so we can get ready for drafting.

If you want in, there's still time.

#85 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've made it so players from both leagues are available this year. It's time to start working your draft queues. I'll flip the switch to "ready" next Wed. or Thurs. Note that I've tweaked the points a bit, so you may want to look over the scoring as you do prep for the draft.

#86 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

Looks like we just drafted.

#87 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

And so it begins! And without any trading. I have a few slots I would be willing to talk about.

#88 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

You can stick a note in the "trading block" with positions you want or players you want to trade.

#89 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I may. We just haven't worked up a good, complex trading frenzy in this league yet.

#90 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Congratulations to the winner of the 2010 edition: The Silver Sox, who won in a walk with more than 1000 over the 2nd place team.

#91 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Congratulations to the winner of the 2010 edition: The Silver Sox, who won in a walk with more than 1000 over the 2nd place team.

Thanks, Darrel. It was fun as always. Thanks for setting it up!

#92 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,247 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

I enjoyed being in a couple of fantasy baseball leagues several years ago. Now that my kids and I are getting back into baseball, I think I'd like to give this another try next season. I was usually the Oriole or Pirate equivalent of my league (the 21st Century versions, not the 1979 versions), so I don't think a pose a serious threat or anything.

#93 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

The league has been renewed. If you were in last year, you probably only need to go to Yahoo Fantasy Baseball and there will be a link there for you to join. If you want to get in this year, the league number is 44335 and the password is screwball.

I'd like to switch this to head to head this year - assuming we have an even number of teams. This would mean I'd put together a list of batting and pitching categories that would be mini-contests each week. (E.g., if your hitters had more HRs than mine, you'd get a win and I'd get a loss. If my batters had a higher OBP I'd get the win. If my pitchers had more strike outs...) There are no maximum games or innings to deal with, but there would be a minimum innings pitched.

Also, how many would be interested in a live draft rather than automated?

#94 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Woohoo! In a month of thundersnow and sub-zero temperatures, it's nice to start dreaming about spring again. Thanks for getting things rolling, Darrel.

I'm in for another year. I think H2H sounds like fun, assuming we can get the right number of teams. It definitely can keeps things more interesting from week to week. And I'd definitely be game for a live draft if there was enough interest.

#95 Thomas V. Bona

Thomas V. Bona

• 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

I'd be fine with H2H and would much prefer live draft. I dislike auto drafts. Also, I would personally prefer the H2H categories be more traditional roto categories than points ... but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

#96 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:53 AM

Don't know enough about H2H but I'm game.

Up for live draft. Though that scares me....

#97 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

H2H would be roto type categories - probably mostly traditional with maybe one or two additions to keep it interesting.

I'll say this about live draft. It gives you a better chance to shape your team (not that I really do much better in live than auto) and it is fun. It's impossible to get a time everyone can take part. (Even me - my schedule is open to lots of variables. I may pick a time that I'll miss.) If you're not there, the computer will pick from your queue as if it were auto. I'll probably try to pick a time during the week about 6 pm pacific time if that sounds workable.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 12 February 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#98 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,714 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Here's what I've done. None of it is set in stone.

Change to Head-to-head using the following categories:

Hitting: runs, HRs, RBIs, Ks, Errors, OBP, Slugging pct. (perhaps SB would be better than Es)

Pitching: Wins, Saves, Ks, ERs, ERA, WHIP (Walks+hits per inning pitched), K/9 (strikeouts per 9 IP)

That's 7 categories both ways. Includes both positive and negative categories (i.e., some win with the most, some with the least) and some averages.

Comments.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 12 February 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#99 Thomas V. Bona

Thomas V. Bona

• 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

Interesting categories. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't like having Slugging AND HRs - double counts HRs basically. A popular alternative is to add Doubles+Triples, which shoooould be trackable on yahoo. I think that plus HRs does what you're trying to do w/ Slugging.

2. I'd like to keep SBs, but I also like the idea of errors for the "make it interesting" part. I would vote against Ks as an offensive stats because a K is no worse than any other out....

3. Not sure why to have ERs AND ERA (or Ks AND K/9). What's your thinking there?

Thanks for your work setting this up. I would love H2H if we do it. I'm only in one other H2H leagues, but plenty of roto leagues. And man I did NOT get points last year ;-)

-Thomas

Here's what I've done. None of it is set in stone.

Change to Head-to-head using the following categories:

Hitting: runs, HRs, RBIs, Ks, Errors, OBP, Slugging pct. (perhaps SB would be better than Es)

Pitching: Wins, Saves, Ks, ERs, ERA, WHIP (Walks+hits per inning pitched), K/9 (strikeouts per 9 IP)

That's 7 categories both ways. Includes both positive and negative categories (i.e., some win with the most, some with the least) and some averages.

Comments.

#100 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,420 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

I'm in for another year. I like the idea of H2H and live draft. I haven't done those with baseball before, so that should be fun.

As far as stats go, I agree that some of the pitching stats are repetitive. Maybe replace ERs with Ls and K/9 with CGs.

On the hitting side, I like the idea of keeping track of SBs more than Ks.

Looking forward to it!