Fantasy Baseball, Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,011 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:17 PM

Edited by kenmorefield, 12 December 2005 - 11:05 PM.

#2 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:05 PM

I'd be there, but I'm already up to my 3 team limit at Yahoo. Pity.

#3 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,620 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

I may want to try this...

#4 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

Sure, although I'm better at Fantasy Football.

Dale

#5 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

I'd be interested in joining.

#6 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:03 AM

I would be willing to give this a try. I used to be involved in a fantasy baseball league, but that was several years ago.

#7 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

Looks like it's full now. Drat.

#8 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

Crap, I missed it too.

#9 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

It's that time of year again. Who's interested? Maybe we can compare notes and see how we'd like the league set up. Live or auto draft? points, roto or head to head (if you don't know what these are, they can be explained)? What categories do we want to use? (I find the traditional 5x5 categories pretty boring.)

#10 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

I should note that I view the fantasy games we do here as entry level -- we need to keep it simple enough for newbies not to get lost in the process.

#11 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

I am interested but I know nothing, so I defer to your judgment in all matters concerning how the league is set up.

#12 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

I'd like to try it this year. I do like "simple", though. smile.gif

#13 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'm interested. Doing it the same way we did it last year would be fine (auto-draft, points instead of head-to-head). I would eliminate a couple of points categories, (innings pitched and games pitched), but would keep the other categories as they are.

#14 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

IP is pretty standard for a pitching stat in fantasy, because it is the main way a pitcher can get positive points. That Ks and Ws. Just about everything else counts against him. Games pitched, was probably designed to give a bit more value to RPs other than closers -- in most fantasy games middle RPs and set up men are pretty worthless. Occasionally someone will throw in holds as a category, but unless you're doing roto that likely won't be important. Some RPs will help K/9 and WHIP slightly, but usually not enough to make much difference. Of course those last two categories don't work in point scoring anyway.

BTW, for newbies to fantasy, let me define some terms. Roto is a scoring system in which your players stats are totaled up and you get points for your position in various statistical categories relative to other players. For example in a 10 team league, if you had more RBIs than anyone else, you'd have 10 points. Whoever was next would have 9 points, etc. If that same team had pitchers with fewer K's than any other team. It would only get 1 point for that category. The total points from the rankings are combined to rank teams (It's less complicated than it sounds.)

Head to head also involves various categories, but you are only competing against one team at a time. Which ever team does better in each category gets a win for that category, a loss if the other team is better, and a draw if you tie at the end of the game period (usually a week).

In point scoring, points are assigned for various events. For example, a hit may be worth 1 point, a double 2, HR 4, RBI 1, K (by batter) -1, GIDP -2, etc. Pitchers might get +5 for a W, -3 for a L, +1 for K, -1 for hits and walks, etc.

#15 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

Sounds as if point scoring would encompass more, as opposed to head-to-head. And I think innings pitched is critical in these days of short relievers, long relievers, and closers. Games pitched I think could be shelved if necessary.

I'll need some instructions on how to play--i.e. how do I draft, trade, keep score, and all that jazz. Also, would it be through Yahoo or another website (I know there are hundreds).

#16 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Yahoo is fairly easy. When I get around to forming a league, I'll post the info here. To draft (assuming an auto draft) you'll just need to set your draft queue. There is a default, but it makes it feel like you've done something if you reorder them a bit. Besides, there are almost always a few players there who tore a rotator cuff the first outing in ST and are out for the season. It's terrible to pick on of them in an early round then have to cut them and pick through the free agents for a pathetic replacement.

#17 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

For the record, last year we used a roto format. The stat categories were: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, APP, IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

I'll probably set a a league this weekend. Let your voice be heard. At this point it seems points are favored.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 20 February 2007 - 03:16 PM.

#18 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

My thoughts on if we do point scoring (this is all open to revision -- either by suggestions or by my own revisio):

For batters: H: 1, 2b: 2, 3b: 3, HR: 4, BB: .5 (I don't think a walk is as good as a hit), R: 1, RBI: 1, SB: 1, Caught Stealing: -1, GIDP: -2, K: -1, E: -1

For pitchers: IP: 2 (that comes to 2/3 per out), W: 5, L: -3, S: 3, K: 1, ER: -1, WP: -1, H: -.5 HPB: -1, BB: -.5, Balk: -.5

#19 tctruffin

tctruffin

• 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

Haven't done points before. Sounds interesting. Count me in.

#20 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

I like the idea of doing a points league, and I think those categories would work. The only question I had about IP earlier, was that the maximum number of IP in a season for a team was capped in the Roto league. In a points league, I don't see a problem.