The Office: USA

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#141 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

Um, have you watched Outsourced? Or whatever they throw on in the 8:30 time slot?

Well, since NBC always juggles shows in and out of that slot, I've been hard-pressed to treat any of them as regulars. But yeah, all those shows are pretty terrible. THE OFFICE still looks amazing in comparison.

But my point is that NBC is still offering some terrific stuff on Thursday nights. I mean, last week's PARKS AND REC, with the controversy over the painting, was just wonderful. And COMMUNITY has had its ups and downs, but it's knocking it out of the park at the moment, both with its send-up of the "clip show" episode and now its "too epic to believe" two-parter finale. (30 ROCK is good, too, but it's just sorta "there" these days.)

#142 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

I think Farrell has one more episode, I assume he will get the boot next week, so it might be a brief appearance, but my DVR cut off during the credit sequence-so maybe I missed the implication that he was already gone. It was a four episode run, but last nights didn't seem like his character was gone.

I actually enjoyed the episode, but I don't think we were supposed to be endeared to the character-he was supposed to be off-putting. I don't think they are doing a boss of the week deal (the season finale is not to far away)... I suspec episodes will burn through a couple potential managers an episode opening for next seasons official new boss.

#143 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

I don't think they are doing a boss of the week deal (the season finale is not to far away)...

I was referring to the announced casting for next season, which is loaded with celebrity cameos (Jim Carrey, for one).

#144 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,448 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

I don't think they are doing a boss of the week deal (the season finale is not to far away)...

I was referring to the announced casting for next season, which is loaded with celebrity cameos (Jim Carrey, for one).

I thought the Jim Carrey (and other big stars) cameos were coming up in the current seasons finale. I may be wrong...

#145 Christian

Christian

• 10,465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I thought the Jim Carrey (and other big stars) cameos were coming up in the current seasons finale. I may be wrong...

I thought the same thing.

BTW, ratings for the show, which have never been great, tanked without Carell.

#146 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,653 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

This story outlines the rest of the season. Basically, Ferrell has one more episode, and won't be around for the season finale. Jim Carrey, Ricky Gervais, et al, will all appear in the finale.

#147 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,653 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

The new boss won't be revealed until next season.

#148 Christian

Christian

• 10,465 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

I'm not as down on the show as others but did think the finale had more laughs, bigger laughs and longer laughs than most of the episodes this season.

Matt Zoller Seitz says Parks and Recreation finale "mopped the floor" with the Office finale, but then said several nice things about the Office finale.

Edited by Christian, 17 May 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#149 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 320 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

More convinced than ever than Michael's plane taking off was the actual ending of the show, whether NBC and those working on the show realize it or not.
Finale was pretty "meh" for me. It had some laughs, but it also had the insufferable Erin/Andy story. I've enjoyed their relationship for the most part...till last night. After all this time, that's what happened? It's a forced attempt at keeping the excitement surrounding their possible relationship going. Perhaps the writers realized (along with the viewers) that Jim and Pam were kinda boring after they got hitched so they are trying to keep Andy and Erin apart even longer. It just felt contrived. As for the rest of the characters, I just find myself not caring much about them anymore. Which is sad considering how much I used to love this show.

Two bright spots last night:

1. Ryan's comment to Stanley and correction of Jim from inside his closet/office was the funniest thing that character has done in years. It was a small moment, but the biggest laugh of the night from me.

2. Two words: James. Spader. I thought he was hilarious and would LOVE to see him playing that character off the others in the office next season. I could see them getting some great mileage out of having a boss that is cocky, intelligent, but NOT endearing. Honestly, if they went with him I'd be excited. Not sure what the chances of that are, though. If James Spader doesn't become the boss, I'm not sure I'll tune back in this fall. We'll see.

[/negative Nancy]

#150 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

The Warren Buffet cameo was pretty cool.

#151 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,653 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

EW.com is reporting James Spader might join the cast, but not as Michael Scott's replacement:

producers have a different role in mind for Spader: CEO of Dunder Mifflin, replacing Kathy Bates, who sources say will exit the show to focus on season 2 of Harry’s Law....

...if all goes according to plan, Spader’s character — named “Robert California” — will be introduced in the premiere as the new Office manager. He quickly decides the role is too small for him, and somehow talks corporate into appointing him as its new CEO.

Not sure what to make of this, since Bates was never CEO of Dunder Mifflin. She owned Sabre, the company that bought out Dunder Mifflin. I guess you could say she was in charge of the company, but that wasn't her title.

#152 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,653 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Season premiere update, in case anyone cares: Robert California (James Spader) is the company's new CEO. He talked Jo (Kathy Bates) out of her job somehow. The new office manager is Andy Bernard.

#153 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,653 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Catherine Tate is coming back.

maybe Tate is returning to Scranton in a bit of a Dr. Who crossover, where she and David Tennant arrive via TARDIS in order to fix the rift in time that allowed for the eighth season of The Office, therefore resetting its timeline and restoring “Goodbye, Michael” to its rightful place as the series finale.

#154 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,789 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Did Steve Carell make a cameo on The Office last week?

#155 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,448 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

James Spader will be leaving at the end of this season.

#156 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,653 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Carell won't return for the finale. He said "it didn't make sense" for his character to come back.

This just makes it easier to argue The Office actually ended when Michael Scott flew away and left Pam watching at the airport.

#157 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Honestly? I really liked last night's episode. I thought it ended on a very strong (and real) note.

I haven't been all that impressed with the these two last seasons, because I think they unwisely tried to find their "new Michael"... instead of taking the new boss in a different direction. Part of it is that the Office was never about Michael Scott for me, so my enjoyment was not dependent on his presence. I have things uneven with strong moments peppered throughout in seasons eight and nine. And I think that neveness is because they relied to heavily on Michael being outrageous for seven seasons which painted them into a corner.

#158 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Honestly? I really liked last night's episode. I thought it ended on a very strong (and real) note.

It was a very nice moment, but tonight's episodes took that idea into the realm of gimmickry.

Edited by Ryan H., 31 January 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#159 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

All's well that ends well, and THE OFFICE ended well, I thought.

#160 Christian

Christian

• 10,465 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I just scrolled up and saw that I last posted about the show in 2011. I may have watched it into 2012, but I doubt it.

Then I jumped to the first page of this thread, thinking I'd posted right when the show began. No, my first post is on page 2 of the thread, from May 2006.

I read a few posts about the show from that season, got wistful and had to stop.